PDA

View Full Version : Strangest Place You've Uke'd

Citrus
11-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Seeing that parking lot uke'ing thread gave me the idea. Whats the oddest place you've played ukulele? (feel free to list several)

I've uke'd in the waiting room for my cardiologist cause it's normally a 2 hour wait. I uke'd most of my day away at work today too cause the boss likes me to bring it in and he didn't have much for me to do. I've uke'd on the streets and at parties, so many places, so much fun.

ukeonthebeach
11-19-2009, 05:42 PM
My daily commute on the 605 fwy. When the traffic jam hits, I hit up some jams. :D

ritzer012
11-19-2009, 05:52 PM
ive uked on a bench outside of Laguardia airport while waiting for my ride

SkeeterAsada
11-19-2009, 05:57 PM
i take my uke everywhere,
i play during passing periods and lunch,
when im walking down the sidewalk,
while shopping for groceries in vons or clothes at the mall
etc
haha

psesinkclee
11-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Top level of the Eiffel Tower.
In the middle of Organic Chemistry class.
On top of the science academic building at my uni.
In airports in NJ, NY, S.Africa, Senegal, France, and Germany.

RyanMFT
11-19-2009, 06:33 PM
I've played in a psychotherapy session (I'm the therapist).
Waiting for an oil change in my car.
Outside in a snow storm, playing a Singing Treholipee no less.

UkuLeLesReggAe
11-19-2009, 07:04 PM
on a monorail... everyone is dead quiet... I was by myself, and played like nobody was there... Got a few looks, but i felt the need!

TheTy
11-19-2009, 09:33 PM
On a plane waiting for take off.

I was in LA headed back home to Hawaii and there was a kid sitting next to me that needed to be chilled out.

ainokeato
11-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Seeing that parking lot uke'ing thread gave me the idea. Whats the oddest place you've played ukulele? (feel free to list several)

HAHA Glad I could inspire :).

Other than the parking lot of that gym (which does normally get me a lot of looks, some times I worry imma cause a car crash.)

Out in front of school, if you went to school in HI you wouldn't understand but over here on the mainland (in the middle of a freaking desert lol) you don't see many people carrying around portable guitars (lolz) much less actually playing them out after and before school.

This afternoon actually I was playing in a restaurant was hanging out with some friends I brought my uke it was a really fancy BBQ restaurant lol not to busy some people came by to listen, some of the waiters it was cool.

Soon it's going to be at the mall to jam session at the mall with a few of my friends tomorrow, hopefully they don't kick us out from there lol.

grammy
11-19-2009, 11:35 PM
I sometimes play in my clasroom for students, they like the singalongs.
I have played in several airports.

i am trying to arrange with the national bank here in Budapest to video me playing in their paternoster lift, an amazing bit of machinery.

they havent yet agreed

ainokeato
11-20-2009, 12:10 AM

You see? We need more teachers like you. :) maybe I would have gone to school every day lol.

dberlin
11-20-2009, 03:26 AM
I didn't play much so far as I'm a beginner- but at my first Ukulele meeting we played at the Pariser Platz in front of the Brandenburg Gate while "the Giants in Berlin" Festival was on... among hundreds of other people.
The funny thing was that everyone smiled and where really nice when they saw us playing ukulele. :D

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2492/3981021093_23704ab626_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/danpv/3981021093/)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2590/3981020745_e0a0da9cb7_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/danpv/3981020745/)

I wish I could've stayed longer that day :( as I had to leave the guys early.

wickedwahine11
11-20-2009, 06:59 AM
Lots of airports (JFK, LAX, Seattle, Chicago O'Hare, etc.) but oddest place was probably in Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=384&pictureid=4055

lisaxy424
11-20-2009, 07:01 AM
While I don't find it strange, I get a lot of looks and laughs while playing in the car at stop-lights! I think people like it though, you just don't expect it!

GrumpyOldMan
11-20-2009, 07:22 AM

When I was at school we had a maths teacher who had been in the navy during the war. He loved to talk about it and sometimes we could get him to ramble for a whole double lesson without him realising. We weren't at all interested in his war exploits but it was better than doing maths so we did it on a regular basis.
Now, I'm not suggesting your students are working along the same lines but..........:uhoh:

I failed my exam by the way.

Ian.

GrumpyOldMan
11-20-2009, 07:32 AM
I'll tell you about my best outside Uke playing experience.
A few months ago my sons band supported Me First and the Gimme Gimme's at Liverpool Academy. I took my Uke to play in the van on the way down and then took it into the dressing room. I was tinkling away whilst Fat Mike and the band were wandering around outside and Spike Slawson (vocals in case you don't know them) came in and started talking. We talked Uke for a while and he played my Uke :cool: before going off to do his set. Knock me down with a feather halfway through the set he produces his own uke and does a couple of songs with it (which I have on video).
The band (and the venue staff) were all incredibly friendly and we had a great night and I have a great Uke memory. Wish I'd taken a pic though.

Ian.

RevWill
11-20-2009, 07:37 AM
O'Hare
Prestea, Ghana

Fudgers
11-20-2009, 10:56 AM
at a drive-thru

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yztDM58bSes

(check out this thread if anyone has a video
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18991)

and also all over the dollar general covered in the cheap leis they sell

it was great fun :D

RevWill
11-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot. At seminary graduation I had my Hilo hidden up the sleeve of my gown and strummed it as I stepped up to receive my diploma and hood. (well, we didn't get to keep the hood).

Pikopiko
11-20-2009, 11:35 AM
I was walking around an animal shelter just looking at puppies and started playing. I sat down and some of the dogs rushed at me and kept sniffing it.
eventually, some fell asleep, haha

the power of the uke makes small animals fall asleep. ^~^

kluson
11-20-2009, 11:42 AM
As a new Uke player , I have not been outside the house , but I have decided to always travel with a soprano, from now on. I'll chime in with some places asap, keep em coming everyone!:)

Pueo
11-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Strange? I don't know about strange, but I have played on a few hotel room balconies (Disneyland, Las Vegas, San Diego) to the unsuspecting people in the pool. I usually bring it with me when I travel, it's great to kill time when waiting for my carpool partners.

PikoPiko, I love your avatar!

leftovermagic84
11-20-2009, 01:17 PM
I'll tell you about my best outside Uke playing experience.
A few months ago my sons band supported Me First and the Gimme Gimme's at Liverpool Academy. I took my Uke to play in the van on the way down and then took it into the dressing room. I was tinkling away whilst Fat Mike and the band were wandering around outside and Spike Slawson (vocals in case you don't know them) came in and started talking. We talked Uke for a while and he played my Uke :cool: before going off to do his set. Knock me down with a feather halfway through the set he produces his own uke and does a couple of songs with it (which I have on video).
The band (and the venue staff) were all incredibly friendly and we had a great night and I have a great Uke memory. Wish I'd taken a pic though.

Ian.

That. Is. Amazing. I love Me First!:drool:

kenikas
11-20-2009, 08:11 PM
I often play mine in the cockpit of the plane I fly (No, not while flying!), while sitting on the airport ramp waiting for my passengers. Also many hotel rooms and balconies on layovers. I often play sitting on the edge of my Koi ponds, the fish seem to like it, and they never complain when I practice the same thing over and over!

ainokeato
11-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Haha here's a tip walk through the mall with your Uke case have a friend behind you taping everyone that looks xD. It was hilarious me and a couple buddies of mine walked around the mall not doing much, haven't talked to these guys in forever. Looked around unfortunately I couldn't find a store that had amps in stock xD I wanted to try one maybe buy myself one.

It was an awesome day we got to the food court got our food and sat there for the next three or so hours just jammin xD after we ate of course I learned a new song that I have to sit and remember again.

But if this counts I got bored halfway through and busted out my uke strumming random songs in JC Pennies and a few other clothes stores lol.

timmoore8
11-23-2009, 11:44 AM
I take mine with me on hikes and have uked on 12 of colorado's 14 thousand foot mountains. Its best on top of the world.

ukantor
11-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Five years ago I had a course of radio therapy (it seems to have worked!), and it involved quite a lot of waiting around, so I took my uke in with me one day, and strummed quietly to myself. There were a few strange looks, and a few smiles, but a cancer clinic waiting room is a very sombre place, and it felt inappropriate. Only did it once.

John Colter.

schubs
11-23-2009, 12:37 PM
I take mine with me on hikes and have uked on 12 of colorado's 14 thousand foot mountains. Its best on top of the world.

what 14'ners have you climbed? I have only climbed 2, Mt. Evans and Mt. Sneffels(I think thats how you spell it).

uk_e_punk
11-23-2009, 01:34 PM
At a cricket final in Lancashire last summer during the interval at the side of the pitch thrashing out anarchy in the UK:)

nikolo727
11-23-2009, 04:58 PM
mcdonalds standing in line. i ordered my food in impromtu music. needless to say i didnt recieve food, but i recieved a chewing out session from the manager. :D

so worth it....

keithy351
11-23-2009, 05:17 PM
i've got my $30 soprano located in the bog... best thing is a can back myself up sometimes with rythmic farts...