Aloha from Hawaii, bought my first Ukulele today!

mwilliams

Reaction score
Good evening everyone!

I just moved to Oahu a few months ago (I work for a software company out here) and fell in love with the Uke the more I saw and heard them around. I work above a nice little music shop with a decent Ukulele selection and after picking the brain of one of the employees yesterday, and I went back today and picked up my first Ukulele.

I was initially looking at a Kala Concert but ended up going to a slightly cheaper non-branded Ukulele. It had a lighter wood and a much better sound. The employee played each Uke for me to really show them each off and the more he played the non-branded Uke (there's no sticker or brand anywhere inside or out), the more he played it the more he liked it and so was I. It had more wood to it so there was a little more heft and the a deeper/louder sound. The other sounded a little twangy. The non-branded also had a wider neck which I felt more comfortable with.

I worked out a nice little deal and got it for $79. It had been re-strung with nicer white (Italian?) strings and the tuning pegs are geared, exposed and have a tightening screw.

I brought it home and immediately picked up GuitarToolkit for my iPhone which has some nice Ukulele settings. It was already pretty well tuned, just needed a few adjustments and it sounds beautiful.

I'll be scouring the boards over the next few days looking for tabs and various introduction threads. I definitely need to do some reading on strumming techniques and some exercises.

Can anyone recommend any songs good for practicing? I've been on a huge Beatles kick right now, any simple tabs to give my fingers a workout?

Looking forward to joining the community!

A quick shot of me and the Uke.

Mahalo!
-Matt

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new ukulele.

You are in the right place here for sure. There are some great ukulele players on these forums and the general vibe here is a very open and helpful community. You'll probably get this answer a hundred times, but check out all of Aldrine's lessons and Uke Minutes videos on this site. They are some of the best resources out there.

There is a sticky thread in the beginners section that has a complete list of other lessons and resources like where to find tabs, scales exercises, etc .

Welcome aboard and welcome to the addiction.

Happy New Ukulele Day and Welcome to UU. :) Check out the tabs section here and see if anything strikes your fancy. You'll learn tons here.

Welcome, Matt. How about a pic of the mystery uke?

Sorry about that! I tried linking directly to an image hosting on Twitpic but it was a temporary link and went away... I added a link directly to the Twitpic page with the image. So now you can take a look!

It's from an iPhone so it's not the sharpest, but it shows it off a little bit. If I get ambitious tomorrow I'll snap some nice shots with the DSLR.

Link here too...

Congrats on the new uke..hope u get tons of fun out of it.

Sorry about that! I tried linking directly to an image hosting on Twitpic but it was a temporary link and went away... I added a link directly to the Twitpic page with the image. So now you can take a look!

It's from an iPhone so it's not the sharpest, but it shows it off a little bit. If I get ambitious tomorrow I'll snap some nice shots with the DSLR.

Link here too...

Hey that's a nice looking uke!

Wecome Matt, glad you could join us.

Welcome, Matt! :)

Top Bottom