Fresh Pineapple

Steve vanPelt

Reaction score
So I've been mostly lurking around this forum since I decided to build an 'ukulele about nine months ago. Luthier's Lounge is the best source of information ever, Both for information and inspiration. Chuck, Pete, Paul, John, Dave and every one who contributes here has helped guide me through the builds. Thank You, Everybody!!:bowdown:

Today I strung up my pineapple, 'uke #7, it's (finally) the first one to surprise me in a good way. Straight neck, centered sound hole, centered, straight bridge.....all on the same 'uke. Never done that before. It's not particularly loud, but it's the best sounding one yet. Still, it's got a few mistakes built in. Funny string angle at the peghead, couple of finish issues and two bonehead goofs inside the box I don't even want to talk about. All in all, though, I'm really happy with my new 'uke.

It's got a solid koa body and one piece neck. Spanish heel. Snakewood binding and soundhole ring. Paua dots and rosette. Rosewood bridge and fingerboard. Bone nut and saddle and Gotoh tuners and Aquilla strings. The finish is based on that William King oil method, topped off with a couple of shots of shellac, Colortone rattle can sealer, then gloss, then a couple coats of satin. Took about two six weeks to finish with all the dry time.

Yeah, so I kind of hid out for a while, but I really didn't even know enough to know what to ask. Most of the answers I was looking for are in here anyway. I've read every thread in Luthiers Lounge at least once. It's not that any part of building an 'uke is hard to do...it's just really hard to do well. You luthiers out there, and you know who you are, are amazing. It is insane how beautiful your work is. That leaves me here, in my little shop, really enjoying the process at least as much as the end result, spending way too much time chasing all my little mistakes, some times setting aside the big mistakes, sanding off my fingernails, having the best time ever....

So many mahalos, everybody, and here are a few pics...

Attachments

• ALA_0088.JPG
    ALA_0088.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 135
  • ALA_0164.JPG
    ALA_0164.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 101
  • ALA_0156.JPG
    ALA_0156.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 101
  • ALA_0121.JPG
    ALA_0121.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 104
  • ALA_0114.JPG
    ALA_0114.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 142
Whoa, she looks beauteous!

Wow, nice!! Love how it can stand on its own, too.

Check's in the mail ;)

And so you should be! Happy that is... well done. A lovely piece of work. I am yet to build a pineapple but this has really inspired me to finish the form and get on with it! Thank you...

Really nice work! Looks beautiful... Makes me want to do another uke next year and try to get better.

attachment.php

Wow. Just....... wow!

That's gorgeous.

You, sir, are an inspiration.

An exceptional, beautiful, and unique uke! :drool:

About how many man-hours of labor (include planning and figuring time) is wrapped up in that wonderful pineapple uke?

An exceptional, beautiful, and unique uke! :drool:

About how many man-hours of labor (include planning and figuring time) is wrapped up in that wonderful pineapple uke?

I don't keep track of such things, but leaving out head scratching and staring time, I'm guessing somewhere around 100 hours.

Thanks everyone for all of the kind replies. It means a lot. Can't wait to get out to the shop and start another one.
Steve

Top Bottom