PDA

View Full Version : Songs you wish you could play on ukulele

The Pinneapple Pirate
11-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Whether it just doesn't work on ukulele or you're just not practiced enough, what song do you wish you could play on uke?

Me personally I wanna learn carry on wayward son by kansas

Link
11-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Voodoo Chile by Hendrix. I've seen Aldrine play it on a stream and I'd really dig to have that in the repertoire.

UkuLeLesReggAe
11-19-2009, 07:01 PM
I know everybody can play it. But I wish I could play while my guitar gently weeps really clean, with a nice bright sounding ukulele. Like jakes cover on youtube. I have never really attempted the song because everybody plays it, but I would like to play that song really clean.

grappler
11-19-2009, 09:30 PM
I know everybody can play it. But I wish I could play while my guitar gently weeps really clean, with a nice bright sounding ukulele. Like jakes cover on youtube. I have never really attempted the song because everybody plays it, but I would like to play that song really clean.

one of the songs that everyone wants to learn. So hard.

ukeninam
11-19-2009, 09:49 PM
everything jake shimabukuro, james hill and aldrine Guerrero play!
Actually I think I just wished I played like them:p

UkuLeLesReggAe
11-20-2009, 02:05 AM
one of the songs that everyone wants to learn. So hard.

I played the first few lines of the tabs somebody sent me. It doesn't look hard, I can play up until sliding from 3rd fret to g chord up at 10/11 frets. But I learn a lot better with somebody showing me, because I know where to put my fingers . I duno..

I just noticed the other day actually, after two years.

I learnt ukulele from iamhawaii.com... and aldrine teaches, but we do the g chord differently, our middle and pointer finger and swapped around. But i think its strange because I copy everything I am shown, guess just more comfortable.,

k off topic, sorry!

natsumi
11-20-2009, 02:25 AM
A bunch of stuff by the Indigo Girls. They use all sorts of weird chords that don't work with 4 strings. :(

agent61
11-20-2009, 02:36 AM
'Down Rideau Canal' by James Hill (or anything else by him for that matter lol!)

ainokeato
11-20-2009, 04:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naHHHwoMDaU

Maui Hawaiian Suppa Man cover by Troy Fernandez

I encourage everyone to watch that video :) Troy is outstanding and the picking cover of this song is amazing I would love to be able to play it.

RevWill
11-20-2009, 04:17 AM
The entire Beatles canon.

Hankthetank
11-20-2009, 04:19 AM
I want to learn to play something that sounds remotely similar to this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F15WLG2Hbbw

RevWill
11-20-2009, 04:26 AM
I want to learn to play something that sounds remotely similar to this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F15WLG2Hbbw

I wish Jake were that playful on his originals.

Tsani
11-20-2009, 05:08 AM
I wish I could play "the Shadow of Your Smile" and "Tenderly" the way Craig Brandau does it. Also all the Bach pieces done by John King and Rob MacKillop's repertoire.

seeso
11-20-2009, 05:36 AM

Me too .

Melissa82
11-20-2009, 05:38 AM
This thread should be re-named: Songs I intend on playing on the uke

Hehe :)

So for me that would be songs by The Smashing Pumpkins and my own I decide to write up one day.

spazus_maximus
11-20-2009, 05:55 AM
Blue Skies ~The Willie Nelson version
Ebenezer ~ Yonder Mountain String Band
Lenny ~ Stevie Ray Vaughn
Little Wing ~ Jimi Hendrix
Gypsy Ukulele ~ Dominators Version

GX9901
11-20-2009, 06:05 AM
I want to be able to play 3rd Stream (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUamjTt5zyI), but I ran out of talent.:(

scottie
11-20-2009, 06:11 AM
Whether it just doesn't work on ukulele or you're just not practiced enough, what song do you wish you could play on uke?

Me personally I wanna learn carry on wayward son by kansas

Zomby Woof by Frank Zappa

Fuzzy
11-20-2009, 07:08 AM
Zomby Woof by Frank ZappaHow about The Black Page? ;)

I'd like to be able to play all those acoustic blues songs from the 1920s; tunes by Charlie Patton, Bo Carter, Blind Lemon Jefferson, et al.

Or, alternately, something by Captain Beefheart.

freedive135
11-20-2009, 07:17 AM
"Pipeline", the "Theme to Endless Summer" and the intro to "Quiet Village" Martin Denny's version.

I got the chords down to "Endless Summer" but not the picking part and can play "Quiet Village" just can't figure out the intro.

RevWill
11-20-2009, 07:39 AM
"Pipeline", the "Theme to Endless Summer" and the intro to "Quiet Village" Martin Denny's version.

I got the chords down to "Endless Summer" but not the picking part and can play "Quiet Village" just can't figure out the intro.

Baja? Mr. Moto?

thejumpingflea
11-20-2009, 07:56 AM
Uke Talk, Third Stream and Cello Suite Prelude No. 1 as John King does.

GrumpyOldMan
11-20-2009, 08:34 AM
If anyone in the UK is watching Children in need at the moment did you see the Peter Kay / Puppet medley? Now that is a definite MUST do song for a Ukulele group! I can see all the laughing faces already :D .

Ian.