solid macassar ebony (back and sides)?

Franco

Reaction score
i've heard plenty of reviews about solid mahogany and solid koa and the characteristics and tone sounding of those and other woods but haven't found/heard anything on solid macassar ebony for the back and sides.

Does anyone have an istrument with solid macassar ebony back and sides and can tell me their opinion on the tone of the wood and how it might compare to other more common woods like mahogany and koa.

There aren't very many ukes with ebony, especially since Pono discontinued their ebony deluxe line. Ebony ukes are usually custom built, and I have a long scale ebony/adirondack spruce concert built by William King. The sound is difficult to describe. To me it's very clear and crystalline. I would say it's very "high-fidelity". Not super loud but has good volume. I love the ebony looks and it sounds great to me as well.

Here's a review of this particular uke I've written.

I've posted several videos on Youtube with this uke:
$5 Unleaded
Piano Forte

Pictures:
DSC_1512.JPG

DSC_1513.JPG

thank you for your response. your review and videos were very helpful.

so a clear and crystalline sound that needs time to gain volume (more or less)

if you had to grade this wood in tone depth 1 to 10

1 being a low warm sounding wood like koa

10 being a sweet punchy soundng wood like maple.

where would you place it?

thank you for your response. your review and videos were very helpful.

so a clear and crystalline sound that needs time to gain volume (more or less)

if you had to grade this wood in tone depth 1 to 10

1 being a low warm sounding wood like koa

10 being a sweet punchy soundng wood like maple.

where would you place it?

Hard to say, since I've never played a maple ukulele. I think probably a 6 or 7, If I hazard a guess.

I just picked up a Koaloha Tenor Scepte ebony back and sides with a spruce top. What a beauty and the sound is superb. It is load and the tonal mix is just out of this world. Love it!

I got a Pono ebony deluxe tenor 2nd that MGM was blowing out. Much heavier than any of my other ukes but it sounds great.

Pictures:

Video. Please excuse the cheesy picture in picture animations...first time experimenting with it in iMovie.

Last edited:
Acoustic Vibes is the one I picked up. I paid a heavy price (traded a Collings varnish gutar for it). I've been playing less than a year, but haven't picked up a guitar since and what a fine collection of ukes I have picked up in that time. It's embarassing as I have no talent- just the love.

I got a Pono ebony deluxe tenor 2nd that MGM was blowing out. Much heavier than any of my other ukes but it sounds great.

how would you compare the pono ptec ce to your honu tenor?

how would you compare the pono ptec ce to your honu tenor?

It definitely has more low end than my Honu but that could be attributed to the depth of the uke. The Pono is about 3/4" deeper than my Honu. It sounds more mellow to me as well.

Top Bottom