Ey up from England!

Poggie

Reaction score
Hello all!! :D

Long time reader, second time poster here. Figured I'd best do one of these and introduce myself properly.

I've only been playing for about two months now but I have previous string instrument knowledge with cello and violin. I made the mistake of buying a brightly-coloured Ashton ukulele to start off with, which turned out to be little more than a toy (although I did like the shiny greenness of it!). Eventually becoming sick of having to retune it every minute, I went out and bought a Samick Greg Bennett UK70 concert ukulele for considerably more money. I like my ukulele a lot although I am quite concerned that this particular brand does not seem to get much mention around here meaning 1) it's incredibly rare or 2) incredibly s**! I do hope the first one.

Me and my friend are currently learning the uke together and are hoping to perform early in the new year at an open mic session or two!

I should like to thank in particular Lisaxy424 (i think that is her username anyway) who invited me to these forums through the magical medium of YouTube.

I'm generally into metal and folk music with a bit of 80s pop thrown in for good measure (Lacuna Coil, Rammstein, Depeche Mode, Joanna Newsom, etc etc) and I am hoping to get a few ukulele covers up on my youtube page relatively soon! I'm currently working on the following songs:

Pulp - Disco 2000
Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence
Radiohead - Creep
Martha Wainwright - Bleeding All Over You
Lisa ________ - Meet You at Menards

I'm not entirely sure when they will be up but all comments, critiques and laughter is welcome at www.youtube.co.uk/104cats

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Hiya Poggie. :)

My daughter goes to uni at York St John!

Welcome.

Not far from your place to Eagle and the excellent Mainlands!!

Welcome to the Club!

Best vacation I ever had featured York as one of the pinnacle locations! Beautiful city, beautiful countryside. Welcome to UU!

YAY! So excited you're a part of UU now! Can't wait to see your videos!!! :)

Hello all!! :D

Long time reader, second time poster here. Figured I'd best do one of these and introduce myself properly.

I've only been playing for about two months now but I have previous string instrument knowledge with cello and violin. I made the mistake of buying a brightly-coloured Ashton ukulele to start off with, which turned out to be little more than a toy (although I did like the shiny greenness of it!). Eventually becoming sick of having to retune it every minute, I went out and bought a Samick Greg Bennett UK70 concert ukulele for considerably more money. I like my ukulele a lot although I am quite concerned that this particular brand does not seem to get much mention around here meaning 1) it's incredibly rare or 2) incredibly s**! I do hope the first one.

Me and my friend are currently learning the uke together and are hoping to perform early in the new year at an open mic session or two!

I should like to thank in particular Lisaxy424 (i think that is her username anyway) who invited me to these forums through the magical medium of YouTube.

I'm generally into metal and folk music with a bit of 80s pop thrown in for good measure (Lacuna Coil, Rammstein, Depeche Mode, Joanna Newsom, etc etc) and I am hoping to get a few ukulele covers up on my youtube page relatively soon! I'm currently working on the following songs:

Pulp - Disco 2000
Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence
Radiohead - Creep
Martha Wainwright - Bleeding All Over You
Lisa ________ - Meet You at Menards

I'm not entirely sure when they will be up but all comments, critiques and laughter is welcome at www.youtube.co.uk/104cats

Thanks!!

Hey there,

I also have a "Samick Greg Bennett UK70 concert ukulele" which I bought last year at the beginning of my uke-playing phase (which is still lasting until now)! I think it's a nice instrument for the price. It's made of laminate wood (several layers of thin wood glued together) which inhibits great projection but also allows for a nice mellow voice.
Since the projection is not that good (compared to solid wood ukes), I built in a passive pickup (the saddle is already prepared for this!) and in-plugged it sounds great.

Lately I have found that there's also a baritone version of this uke (it looks exactly the same, just bigger) and I really liked the sound of it. It's rather inexpensive, so I may get it.

not sure why everyone's talking about York as I can't see that you mentioned it, but anyway I live in Leeds :)

Welcome to the underground.

Thank you everyone!

Coincidently whoever it was that said they were from Leeds, I was in a music shop in Leeds just down from Primark the other day which sold what must have been the world's most expensive crap ukuleles.

Welcome to UU! :D As long as you like your uke, it shouldn't matter what others think. That's one of the great things about this forum: there really isn't snobbery about what kind of instrument you play. If you're having fun, your uke is fine!

Top Bottom