I'm not one to complain but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

upskydowncloud

Reaction score
I have to say removing the post count and member titles is a bit of a case of the majority suffering for the actions of the minority. It's a shame to see it go.

I know this has been mentioned in a previous thread but that was locked and I felt the need to say something so here it is.

Post count is not removed. Go to the users profile and it is listed on the top right hand side.

What is the minority you refer to? Why do you think the post counts and ranks were removed?

i'm "relatively" new here, and did notice they went but not why.

I personally like the title, post count and kudos system - it works on a lot of boards I use, and I think it works well. Why did it go from here?

oooh ooh my turn....:deadhorse:

i'm "relatively" new here, and did notice they went but not why.

I personally like the title, post count and kudos system - it works on a lot of boards I use, and I think it works well. Why did it go from here?

Here is rayan's explanation:

After lots of requests and concerns from multiple members, I've decided to remove the post count, user title and user reputation features from the forum.

The true purpose of these functions were to reward those who contribute to the community by helping other members. We've been noticing increased gaming of these systems and they weren't really serving their intended function anymore. In fact it could be said that the opposite of what we had intended was happening.

Instead, we will probably be instituting a medal system to reward those who have been extremely helpful to the community. More details on that in the future.

We realize that the Captain Google Title was a big deal for many and although I did agree to it yesterday, the more I thought about it, I could not leave it on. The reason is the same as I said in the stream. It is unfortunate but there will probably be many others who pass on from UU and we can't set a precedence of action for these situations.

The Ukulele Hero Title has also been removed to prevent gaming the post count system.

What is the minority you refer to? Why do you think the post counts and ranks were removed?

On the most part people here are pleasant and helpful. Having a high post count signifies that they are here to help and take time to do so. It also signals how long a person has been here and supporting the UU cause. I know it helped me when I first joined to distinguish between people's seniority.

Of course there are always going to be people who mess with the system to deliberately inflate their post count by replying to threads needleesly to increase their score but the people who genuinely spend their time here replying and helping others out shouldn't suffer as a result.

I know of a lot of really kind and helpful users who should be rewarded for their input here and having a high post count is a record of that. It may only seem like a small and trivial factor but the post count is important and I don't think it should have been removed.

On the most part people here are pleasant and helpful. Having a high post count signifies that they are here to help and take time to do so. It also signals how long a person has been here and supporting the UU cause. I know it helped me when I first joined to distinguish between people's seniority.

Of course there are always going to be people who mess with the system to deliberately inflate their post count by replying to threads needleesly to increase their score but the people who genuinely spend their time here replying and helping others out shouldn't suffer as a result.

I know of a lot of really kind and helpful users who should be rewarded for their input here and having a high post count is a record of that. It may only seem like a small and trivial factor but the post count is important and I don't think it should have been removed.

As much as I would like to agree, I think people get the majority of their massive post counts from threads in the general area, rather than in uke talk or other places. Even myself, all my posts came from that area... Reason why, because I don't know much about ukulele. So I just read, and chat in pw thread.

As much as I would like to agree, I think people get the majority of their massive post counts from threads in the general area, rather than in uke talk or other places. Even myself, all my posts came from that area... Reason why, because I don't know much about ukulele. So I just read, and chat in pw thread.

so thats your secret....

i find the post counts weird to not have, but i have to go with it.

the bamboo bends with the wind.

Kinda hoping this was all water under the bridge. ;)

:agree: I was sorry to see them go, I always thought it was nice to be able to see someone's seniority. I'm sure some people did post just to gather extra "points" but I thought it did more good than harm. Oh well, so be it...

:agree: I was sorry to see them go, I always thought it was nice to be able to see someone's seniority. I'm sure some people did post just to gather extra "points" but I thought it did more good than harm. Oh well, so be it...
You can still see someones post count on their profile.

No, I know you are right. But I am too lazy to click on the profile of every one whenever I'm curious -- it was just nice and handy to have it visible right there in the post.

Me too!

I didn't want to cause any fuss or anything here I just wanted to express my thoughts on the matter. The post count and other information is gone, it's up to the Admin to do that, so be it.

I kind of like having to click on someones profile because I see what comments people have made on their profile, friends list and most importantly the 'about me' section. I find I am learning more about each member as I read topics and get interested in their replies.

I'm a PW participant but only recently. I had over 1000 post in a little over a year. I support the decisions mods and admin make but I do feel it was a little overboard. I used the post count as a guideline in the marketplace. Anytime I looked for advice I just read the content of the suggestion. I could careless about the post count then. I wonder how many complained and I wonder if more people complained about its removal will it be brought back? I spend most my time in the general section now b/c the uke talk section has become repetative. I know post count can still be viewed but it can be an inconvience but so is going to the grocery store.

Kinda hoping this was all water under the bridge. ;)

im with ya on that one

and just a side note: i think the argument about it being useful in marketplace deals is a little bogus. if you are going to go through the trouble of looking at the marketplace threads, pictures, etc and spend hundreds of dollars on a uke...i would think you could take the 10 seconds it takes to click on the profile and see the post count if that is in your trustworthiness criteria.

im with ya on that one

and just a side note: i think the argument about it being useful in marketplace deals is a little bogus. if you are going to go through the trouble of looking at the marketplace threads, pictures, etc and spend hundreds of dollars on a uke...i would think you could take the 10 seconds it takes to click on the profile and see the post count if that is in your trustworthiness criteria.

Wheter the post count is in the open or hidden I still use it as a guideline in the marketplace. It just takes a little longer to find it now. Before there was no need to LOOK for it.

I like post count just because it is often nice to be able to look over and see, readily, whether you're dealing with/responding to someone who has been here a while and "likely gets the vibe of the community" or someone brand new, whom you might tend to encourage differently.

But, oh well. It's UU and it still freakin' rules. :shaka:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom