PDA

View Full Version : I'm not one to complain but...

upskydowncloud
11-20-2009, 11:00 AM
I have to say removing the post count and member titles is a bit of a case of the majority suffering for the actions of the minority. It's a shame to see it go.

I know this has been mentioned in a previous thread but that was locked and I felt the need to say something so here it is.

Melissa82
11-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Post count is not removed. Go to the users profile and it is listed on the top right hand side.

seeso
11-20-2009, 11:20 AM
What is the minority you refer to? Why do you think the post counts and ranks were removed?

bazmaz
11-20-2009, 11:54 AM
i'm "relatively" new here, and did notice they went but not why.

I personally like the title, post count and kudos system - it works on a lot of boards I use, and I think it works well. Why did it go from here?

leftovermagic84
11-20-2009, 11:56 AM
oooh ooh my turn....:deadhorse:

seeso
11-20-2009, 12:01 PM
i'm "relatively" new here, and did notice they went but not why.

I personally like the title, post count and kudos system - it works on a lot of boards I use, and I think it works well. Why did it go from here?

Here is rayan's explanation:

After lots of requests and concerns from multiple members, I've decided to remove the post count, user title and user reputation features from the forum.

The true purpose of these functions were to reward those who contribute to the community by helping other members. We've been noticing increased gaming of these systems and they weren't really serving their intended function anymore. In fact it could be said that the opposite of what we had intended was happening.

Instead, we will probably be instituting a medal system to reward those who have been extremely helpful to the community. More details on that in the future.

We realize that the Captain Google Title was a big deal for many and although I did agree to it yesterday, the more I thought about it, I could not leave it on. The reason is the same as I said in the stream. It is unfortunate but there will probably be many others who pass on from UU and we can't set a precedence of action for these situations.

The Ukulele Hero Title has also been removed to prevent gaming the post count system.

ricdoug
11-20-2009, 10:07 PM
I'd like to see them back. We all know who the leaderboard dudes and dudettes are. Ric

upskydowncloud
11-21-2009, 12:26 AM
What is the minority you refer to? Why do you think the post counts and ranks were removed?

On the most part people here are pleasant and helpful. Having a high post count signifies that they are here to help and take time to do so. It also signals how long a person has been here and supporting the UU cause. I know it helped me when I first joined to distinguish between people's seniority.

Of course there are always going to be people who mess with the system to deliberately inflate their post count by replying to threads needleesly to increase their score but the people who genuinely spend their time here replying and helping others out shouldn't suffer as a result.

I know of a lot of really kind and helpful users who should be rewarded for their input here and having a high post count is a record of that. It may only seem like a small and trivial factor but the post count is important and I don't think it should have been removed.

UkuLeLesReggAe
11-21-2009, 01:51 AM
On the most part people here are pleasant and helpful. Having a high post count signifies that they are here to help and take time to do so. It also signals how long a person has been here and supporting the UU cause. I know it helped me when I first joined to distinguish between people's seniority.

Of course there are always going to be people who mess with the system to deliberately inflate their post count by replying to threads needleesly to increase their score but the people who genuinely spend their time here replying and helping others out shouldn't suffer as a result.

I know of a lot of really kind and helpful users who should be rewarded for their input here and having a high post count is a record of that. It may only seem like a small and trivial factor but the post count is important and I don't think it should have been removed.

As much as I would like to agree, I think people get the majority of their massive post counts from threads in the general area, rather than in uke talk or other places. Even myself, all my posts came from that area... Reason why, because I don't know much about ukulele. So I just read, and chat in pw thread.

Fred Miu
11-21-2009, 06:16 AM
As much as I would like to agree, I think people get the majority of their massive post counts from threads in the general area, rather than in uke talk or other places. Even myself, all my posts came from that area... Reason why, because I don't know much about ukulele. So I just read, and chat in pw thread.

so thats your secret....

i find the post counts weird to not have, but i have to go with it.

the bamboo bends with the wind.

pithaya9
11-21-2009, 06:26 AM
Kinda hoping this was all water under the bridge. ;)

wickedwahine11
11-21-2009, 06:36 AM

:agree: I was sorry to see them go, I always thought it was nice to be able to see someone's seniority. I'm sure some people did post just to gather extra "points" but I thought it did more good than harm. Oh well, so be it...

Melissa82
11-21-2009, 06:39 AM
:agree: I was sorry to see them go, I always thought it was nice to be able to see someone's seniority. I'm sure some people did post just to gather extra "points" but I thought it did more good than harm. Oh well, so be it...You can still see someones post count on their profile.

wickedwahine11
11-21-2009, 06:59 AM
You can still see someones post count on their profile.

No, I know you are right. But I am too lazy to click on the profile of every one whenever I'm curious -- it was just nice and handy to have it visible right there in the post.

upskydowncloud
11-21-2009, 10:52 AM
No, I know you are right. But I am too lazy to click on the profile of every one whenever I'm curious -- it was just nice and handy to have it visible right there in the post.

Me too!

I didn't want to cause any fuss or anything here I just wanted to express my thoughts on the matter. The post count and other information is gone, it's up to the Admin to do that, so be it.

Melissa82
11-21-2009, 10:56 AM
I kind of like having to click on someones profile because I see what comments people have made on their profile, friends list and most importantly the 'about me' section. I find I am learning more about each member as I read topics and get interested in their replies.

haolejohn
11-21-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm a PW participant but only recently. I had over 1000 post in a little over a year. I support the decisions mods and admin make but I do feel it was a little overboard. I used the post count as a guideline in the marketplace. Anytime I looked for advice I just read the content of the suggestion. I could careless about the post count then. I wonder how many complained and I wonder if more people complained about its removal will it be brought back? I spend most my time in the general section now b/c the uke talk section has become repetative. I know post count can still be viewed but it can be an inconvience but so is going to the grocery store.

ritzer012
11-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Kinda hoping this was all water under the bridge. ;)

im with ya on that one

and just a side note: i think the argument about it being useful in marketplace deals is a little bogus. if you are going to go through the trouble of looking at the marketplace threads, pictures, etc and spend hundreds of dollars on a uke...i would think you could take the 10 seconds it takes to click on the profile and see the post count if that is in your trustworthiness criteria.

haolejohn
11-21-2009, 05:52 PM
im with ya on that one

and just a side note: i think the argument about it being useful in marketplace deals is a little bogus. if you are going to go through the trouble of looking at the marketplace threads, pictures, etc and spend hundreds of dollars on a uke...i would think you could take the 10 seconds it takes to click on the profile and see the post count if that is in your trustworthiness criteria.

Wheter the post count is in the open or hidden I still use it as a guideline in the marketplace. It just takes a little longer to find it now. Before there was no need to LOOK for it.

Uncle-Taco
11-21-2009, 05:57 PM
I like post count just because it is often nice to be able to look over and see, readily, whether you're dealing with/responding to someone who has been here a while and "likely gets the vibe of the community" or someone brand new, whom you might tend to encourage differently.

But, oh well. It's UU and it still freakin' rules. :shaka:

UkuLeLesReggAe
11-21-2009, 07:04 PM
so be it.

ahhh, the power of 3 words... And how they answer all our questions.

freedive135
11-21-2009, 08:56 PM
I wanted to post this before but the thread got locked (and that another topic).

I recently posted about UU being feeling like a family...
I am a memeber of another forum that has very strict rules about content/topic and here we can pretty much run a muck.

Now I know that this is run by a group of folks and they make the rules and can pull the plug at anytime.
And a big thanks to Ryan and anyone else that is behind the curtain that I don't know about But......

In my mind Ukulele Underground is our site too. Without folks like Deach, Sukie, JJ, Seeso, Wicked... and all the others, friends or not

"Active Users: 126 (40 members and 86 guests)
Most users ever online was 480, 07-29-2009 at 05:34 AM.
freedive135, Aldrine Guerrero, bboyxshift, camface, DaveVisi, dirk.li, Dominator, Floyd Blue, GrumpyCoyote, Hankthetank, Honu, jackulele32, JonesyDaves, Ken Middleton, Krozone, lisaxy424, Lukebert, mangorockfish, MasterZen, Melissa82, MisoHappy, monkeybutt, MrHpapy, originaloyster, razh, Rock-A-Hula, Ronnie Aloha, salukulady, Sayyadina, sharp21, shimpiphany, The Pinneapple Pirate, thejumpingflea, ukeninam, Ukulele Jim, UkuLeLesReggAe"

Ukulele Underground would be a wasteland forum of no memebers, I am not a PW and don't reply much, shoot I am busy with my work life (some of us arn't kids in school, remember that poll?)and don't even read alot of the posts anymore so I was unaware of the family meeting about any of the changes to "my" ukulele underground.....
But I was so looking forward to seeing my 1000th post#...

So to the powers that be at the great UU head quarters how about a poll to see weather or not the family want its post numbers back?

and to some of the new folks please learn to use the search alot of the ??? you ask have been asked many times before, just bring the old thread back to life.

(getting off my soapbox now)

experimentjon
11-21-2009, 09:04 PM
I second a poll on the issue.

One thing that I notice myself doing is that when I go on other boards as a stranger to find morsels of information on whatver it is that I need, one thing that's great to look at is the member's post count. While it isn't a guaranteed measure of credibility, it really does help to have it there when you're unfamiliar with the members there. Same thing with kudos, karma, reputation, thanks or whatever the forum calls it's system. Sure all of those measures can be gamed, but I think the benefits outweigh the costs.

sukie
11-22-2009, 04:13 AM
I hate to chime in, but I can't stop myself.

I'd love to see the post counts return and the rep points and the titles. I always thought they were kind of fun. And kind of a badge of honor. I never took any of it seriously, but I did help me decide how to respond to a post. If I saw that someone had just a few posts, I'd probably be a tad bit more gentle with a response. Now I'm not always sure.

As far as the "gaming" of the system on rep points, I think I know what that refers to and I believe this only happened for a couple for days and we -- yeah, I was in on it -- realized what we were doing wasn't right and we quickly policed ourselves. (That's what the post police badges are for -- to police ourselves in certain threads) Let me just remind everyone that silly posts have been going on here for well over a year and not just by people who frequent a certain thread "that shall not be named."

I feel horrible that these things have been removed because a few people -- and from what I've seen it's been mostly b*tched about by newer members -- don't like it. I would encourage people who don't like something to hide what you don't like. A while back we had a troll who shall not be named and I finally had had enough and I put a ignore on all his posts. I felt better but in truth I did have to peek once in a while to see what nonsense he was posting that day.

If you don't like my big sig., sorry. I'm not about to change it. It was made for me by UkuleleHill and he made me a great one. Michael Douglas -- well, in his younger days -- can get my heart to race a little faster. Is that so wrong? I think there are more Michael Douglas photos on Ukulele Undeground than probably anywhere else. Is that so horrible? Well, not to me. If it bothers you, would you please just hide sigs and let me have some fun?

I shall go back to my favorite thread now. We are drama-free and truly enjoy each others company. We need to support our people there and I'm off to see how everyone is today. I'll also see you around the other threads when I have something constructive or encouraging to say.

Aloha,

Sukie:)

nohandles
11-22-2009, 04:47 AM
I've restrained from posting on this subject so far BUT, First I personally like the signature boxes love yours sukie. Second I don't like the REP points at all. Probably because I got all nasty ones that really torqued me up. I don't think there is a need to have something available to anonymously say something you should just say in a a PM. They were the roughest pill to swallow. Is there a function for the Rep points that I don't know about that made them useful and fun?
I realize I'm new and my thoughts haven't the weight of other members here but I have been participating vigorously despite what happened.

Let just let it die and have fun here. This is the best Uke sight there is. Lets try to keep that way. Whats ya say?

Doug

haolejohn
11-22-2009, 06:22 AM
I've restrained from posting on this subject so far BUT, First I personally like the signature boxes love yours sukie. Second I don't like the REP points at all. Probably because I got all nasty ones that really torqued me up. I don't think there is a need to have something available to anonymously say something you should just say in a a PM. They were the roughest pill to swallow. Is there a function for the Rep points that I don't know about that made them useful and fun?
I realize I'm new and my thoughts haven't the weight of other members here but I have been participating vigorously despite what happened.

Let just let it die and have fun here. This is the best Uke sight there is. Lets try to keep that way. Whats ya say?

Doug

I have been on UU almost a year and a half. Rep points really just started being used. I gave out rep points willingly. I didn't give out many negatives b/c I didn't feel the need to often. To me rep points were for reputation. I gave them to people that made good points that weren't repeated numerous times or to posts that made me think. I did do a research to see how many people I could give rep points to before I could give back to someone and if that was wrong I wasn't aware of the rule against it.
Nohandles you were treated unfairly and I am glad you stayed around. Luckily I don't think I got involved in that act of bullying and if I did I apologize. I liked the post count and the rep points. I'd like to see the return. I also like an equal tax for all people. I don't always get what I like but I would like to be able to vote on it. Thanks mods for not locking this thread. I wil leave now and visit my friends.

ritzer012
11-22-2009, 07:59 AM
I shall go back to my favorite thread now. We are drama-free and truly enjoy each others company. We need to support our people there and I'm off to see how everyone is today. I'll also see you around the other threads when I have something constructive or encouraging to say.

Aloha,

Sukie:)

I wil leave now and visit my friends.

i am indifferent to the post count/reputation issue and have zero problem with the post whore thread but when you talk about it in this context and use it to seclude yourself from the rest of the forum it makes you look clique-y. that attitude may be contributing to the attitude towards the thread in general.

everyone says how this forum is like a family and i agree i love it here, but for you to say how you're going to return to your favorite thread and not deal with everyone else because in your little neck of the forum you support each other (implying that others that arent involved in it dont support each other) and you'll grace us with your presence again when you deem it appropriate...it just comes off badly. just because someone doesnt participate in the pw thread doesnt mean they dont have friends on uu and they dont spend just as much time here as you.

i think that people in general are taking things too personally and are gaining a false sense of entitlement and are confusing the feelings of some for the feelings of the majority.

sukie and john, im sorry for using your posts as an example. it just allowed me to put my thoughts into words about the feeling i think have been floating around here lately. like i said, i could care less about the thread and if your posts there should count or not. everyone comes here for a different reason and i think its great you guys have found friends in it. i just think everyone needs to be more considerate of everyone else's reasons for coming to uu.

Melissa82
11-22-2009, 08:05 AM
i think that people in general are taking things too personally and are gaining a false sense of entitlement and are confusing the feelings of some for the feelings of the majority.

i just think everyone needs to be more considerate of everyone else's reasons for coming to uu.Agreed x10

Thumper
11-22-2009, 08:25 AM
i am indifferent to the post count/reputation issue and have zero problem with the post whore thread but when you talk about it in this context and use it to seclude yourself from the rest of the forum it makes you look clique-y. that attitude may be contributing to the attitude towards the thread in general.

everyone says how this forum is like a family and i agree i love it here, but for you to say how you're going to return to your favorite thread and not deal with everyone else because in your little neck of the forum you support each other (implying that others that arent involved in it dont support each other) and you'll grace us with your presence again when you deem it appropriate...it just comes off badly. just because someone doesnt participate in the pw thread doesnt mean they dont have friends on uu and they dont spend just as much time here as you.

sukie and john, im sorry for using your posts as an example. it just allowed me to put my thoughts into words about the feeling i think have been floating around here lately. like i said, i could care less about the thread and if your posts there should count or not. everyone comes here for a different reason and i think its great you guys have found friends in it. i just think everyone needs to be more considerate of everyone else's reasons for coming to uu.

Very apt observations - thanks for posting this.

And it makes me wonder: if the main reason some of you hang out here is to chat in a thread that has nothing to do with ukes or music, then why is it important to try to control how people run this forum, which was built by and for ukulele enthusiasts?

I mean, you could build your own general chat forum anywhere on the interwebs. Or would that be too much like doing real work? :rolleyes:

Me, I come here to talk about ukes, and couldn't care less about Posting Dominance or owning the World's Biggest Sig Graphic. But that's because it seemed like ukuleles were what this place was supposed to be about, but perhaps I misunderstood...

haolejohn
11-22-2009, 08:28 AM

I never knew I discriminated against anyone elses reasons for coming to uu. I was a strictly uketalk participant until a few months ago. When I finally posted in the pw thread I felt welcomed so I stayed.
I honestly think we are taking the trying to please everyone to the extreme. No matter what steps are taken someone is going to be offended. It's just the way we are made. Post counts, rep points, and what not are nothing in comparison to two front wars and corruption. I understand your thinking and I used to think the same way until I visited the pw thread. Come visit us. I think you might like it.

haolejohn
11-22-2009, 08:35 AM

And it makes me wonder: if the main reason some of you hang out here is to chat in a thread that has nothing to do with ukes or music, then why is it important to try to control how people run this forum, which was built by and for ukulele enthusiasts?

I mean, you could build your own general chat forum anywhere on the interwebs. Or would that be too much like doing real work? :rolleyes:

Me, I come here to talk about ukes, and couldn't care less about Posting Dominance or owning the World's Biggest Sig Graphic. But that's because it seemed like ukuleles were what this place was supposed to be about, but perhaps I misunderstood...

Actually the general section was set up as aplace to talk about non uke stuff. Over half my post come in the uketalk section. It sounds to me like some people take the uke only stuff to another level. Is it a crime to talk in a nonrelated uke thread about non related uke stuff? Ok I'll admit ukes are talked about in the pw thread just not our main focus. How many of you are planning on attending uwc? I'll say 80 percent of the pw participoants are. We are a fun loving group that suppport all things uke and we enjoy each others company. If I offend anyone for talking with my friends get over it. Macdonalds will still open tomorrow and you can still get a breakfast burrito. Now can we just all hug and sing kumbaya?

Melissa82
11-22-2009, 08:42 AM
If people want to keep uke titles and post counts diplayed, a couple things would need to happen, in my opinion:

More mods - This is a huge board and it is quickly growing in member and topic amounts. People are requesting additional forum topics (which makes sense in a lot of cases). Honestly, I've only seen a few mods around but you need more to manage such an array of information, not just to moderate comments and such (like moving a topic to the correct area of the board). A lot of boards I'm on have specific mods for each forum area and it displays it beside the topic who it is. This would also help in my next suggestion:

Remove post count when replying to general topic forums - Honestly, I really think this would solve a lot of issues when it comes to what is going on here. This way you can bring back the uke titles without much worry of someone "gaming" the post count system.

I probably have more to add to this but my dog is pestering me to take her out, lol.

Susie A
11-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Now can we just all hug and sing kumbaya?

:smileybounce:

Someone's singing, Lord, kum bay ya;
Someone's singing, Lord, kum bay ya;
Someone's singing, Lord, kum bay ya,
O Lord, kum bay ya.

:smileybounce:

ukeshale
11-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Let's try not to demean anyone and turn this into a giant argument. Everyone's entitled to their opinion but let's try to keep it tidy and civilised.

Thumper
11-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Now can we just all hug and sing kumbaya?

Got tabs? :D

haolejohn
11-22-2009, 08:51 AM
Got tabs? :D

No tabs. I can't read them but I do have chords:).

ritzer012
11-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Macdonalds will still open tomorrow and you can still get a breakfast burrito.

i LOVE macdonalds breakfast burritos

JT_Ukes
11-22-2009, 08:59 AM

What brought us together IS our love of Ukulele, and the general forum IS for chatting with other Uke lovin' folks about other things.

If you can find an example of ANYONE in the PW thread the ONLY post there then I'll agree your post is valid. Also, while the PW thread may have started out as a place to run up post counts, (which was harmless fun really) these days it is, As it has been put before, " more of a slow paced chat room" where a group of friends chat.

As for the Over sized Sig pics, You won't find any of the regulars with em. even before people started complaining about sigs.

Funny, I try to let these comments roll off my back, but they keep drawing me in. Talk about using the UU boards for useless prattle.. sheesh.

JT

haolejohn
11-22-2009, 09:03 AM
i LOVE macdonalds breakfast burritos

Me too. Whenever I get flustered or frustrated I tell myself this saying and then all is well.

Melissa82
11-22-2009, 09:06 AM
I think some people are taking this way too personally. Did any of the mods ever directly say it was anyones fault? This is a fairly new board, things like this happen. We are experiencing some growing pains and need some time to adjust. I mean really... is this really all that bad? I don't think so.

JT_Ukes
11-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Me too. Whenever I get flustered or frustrated I tell myself this saying and then all is well.

Oh Heck yeah....!

bbycrts
11-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Let's try not to demean anyone and turn this into a giant argument. Everyone's entitled to their opinion but let's try to keep it tidy and civilised.

You are a very wise, smart guy for an Englishman. I bet your American mum must be proud.

bazmaz
11-22-2009, 11:48 AM
(that has just made me laugh)

aaaaanyway

I love my Ukulele. I presume you readers love your Ukuleles, so lets say we get back to loving our Ukuleles..... maybe, you know.... the point of this forum..... you know..... Ukuleles?

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-22-2009, 12:35 PM
I think there should be an award system where after, say 571 posts, you get $100 gift certificate for Baskin-Robbins pralines n' cream ice cream. Or am I just being silly?

Melissa82
11-22-2009, 12:39 PM
I think there should be an award system where after, say 571 posts, you get $100 gift certificate for Baskin-Robbins pralines n' cream ice cream. Or am I just being silly?Best idea ever.

*puts on fat pants*

haolejohn
11-22-2009, 12:52 PM
I think there should be an award system where after, say 571 posts, you get $100 gift certificate for Baskin-Robbins pralines n' cream ice cream. Or am I just being silly?

LOL!!! That is a great idea.

Thumper
11-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Make it for a McSkillet Burrito instead, and I'm in.

:love:

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-22-2009, 01:51 PM
LOL!!! That is a great idea.

Awesome, I just received the award! The pink and orange ice cream truck just pulled up. Ice cream and ukes at my place in a hour. Everyone's invited. Get here before it melts. Mahalo John!

haolejohn
11-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Make it for a McSkillet Burrito instead, and I'm in.

:love:

Haven't had one of those yet. too pricey or is it that i love the regular burritos so much?

Ahnko Honu
11-22-2009, 01:57 PM
I prefer a Loco Moco.

sukie
11-22-2009, 02:00 PM

Could it please be just a $100 G.C.? I'd really rather have peanut butter and chocolate ice cream. It's my fav.:D oh great, now i'm getting hungry for some.

sukie
11-22-2009, 02:01 PM
You are a very wise, smart guy for an Englishman. I bet your American mum must be proud.

This is so good it's extra large today --

SFPOD.

Mum is very proud indeed!

Melissa82
11-22-2009, 02:02 PM
This reminds me I have cookie dough ice cream... hmmm....

haolejohn
11-22-2009, 02:04 PM
I prefer a Loco Moco.

heart attack breakfast. Yummy. Sorry Ahnko can't get loco moco here.

haolejohn
11-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Could it please be just a $100 G.C.? I'd really rather have peanut butter and chocolate ice cream. It's my fav.:D oh great, now i'm getting hungry for some.

Right now I am sitting next door to a coldstone (which is better than baskin robbins) but i have no money. Stupid one income.

seeso
11-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Alright, I think this thread has run its course.