Noobie string change effect!

kluson

Reaction score
Hi All,
Well at last I found someone in the UK stocking the Worth strings, after chatting with the guy on the phone he recommended me to try the Worth Brown BM's on my Kala KA FMS. The Kala has a solid Sprue top and sounds a bit harsh with the Aquila, also I don't really like the feel of the texture of the strings or the lightness of the gauge, They feel a bit like rubber bands. I put the Worths on tonight and I am very happy the little Soprano feels easier to play, my intonation issues appear to have gone, the overall sound has warmed up considerable and the Uke appears to have more depth to it. The Aquilas sound OK on my Mango Kala, but again the light feeling from them make sit feel so much different from the heavy guitar strings I am used to. I think If I hadn't played guitar before Uke I would love the Aquilas. I am thinking to make a change to the Mainland Concert although that is already sounding mellow.
The only downside for me in going to the browns is now I just have to hope my fingers go down in the right place because I can't see the strings. I may try some Worth Clears also.
I think someone said the other day that the cheapest upgrade you can make is strings , how right they are.!

For sure the Kala has benefited from the Worth's, I know this sounds daft but to my ears it actually sounds a little louder.
I'm pretty sure that any intonation issues was me being a bit heavy handed with the instrument. I have to remember to be as light as in can with the left hand rather than strangle it.
Anyway if any other noobies are struggling with the should I/ shouldn't I change strings, I say do it, experiment, you can always go back to the Aquilas. So much of our playing is in our heads. I would really recommend trying the Worth Brown BM on Kala KA - FMS, I'll let you know how I get on when I decide to change the Mang Soprano's strings too

May thanks and hope this is useful for any other noobie
cheers
Dave:)

Absolutely. Whenever I change strings I carefully remove an old one, wind it up, and place it in the packaging from the new string. When I've gone through all four then I have an emergency set if one breaks or I can go back to 'em if I hate the new strings I've put on. Just remember to take a pen or marker and write a note on the label (e.g. Soprano Nylguts from the Flea, Nov. 2009)

I have no doubt that the Worths may make that uke louder. Some ukes just respond well to some strings. Lots of people here don't care for Martin Fluorocarbons, but Ukisociety swears by them on his plastic ukes. They just seem to work well together. I'll bet there are players on this forum who like Aquilas on uke A but Worths on uke B and Pro Artes on uke C.

I actually liked the Fremont Blacklines better than the Aquilas or Worth Browns on my cedar tenor Mainland. May try Worth Clears when the current strings wear out.

I too have become a fan of the Fremont Blacklines on my Flea. Made a world of difference and makes it sound/feel like a more "sophisticated" instrument...

Cheers,
Skottoman

Thanks
I'm really liking the sound of the little Kala now , much smoother, As with guitars strings can really change the tonal quality of any instrument.
One thing I notice more though is the tension in Brown Worths is much greater than the Aquilas . This had given an improvement in my playing as I am not overly heavy on the strings now and there is less temptation to press down too hard causing intonation issues
cheers

Where in the UK did you get the Worths from? I'd like to give them a try.

Thanks

Just a note, I find it interesting that the tension is higher for you with the Worths than the Aquilas, I found it to be the other way around on my tenor, LOL! Different string lengths I'd imagine. Worths also stretch forever, so will get a tighter feel as they settle.

Another vote for Fremonts, I have a set on my soprano and will probably try a set on my tenor, which currently has the Aquilas it came with on it along with a Fremont for the low G. My other tenor was great with the clears, but I don't want to go clear on this uke yet for color/contrast reasons at the moment, just a superficial personal perception of beauty.

Doesn't MGM ship to GB? He usually carries all Worths in all sizes and types. I'd ask; even if they aren't listed for auction you can email a question and get a quick reply. He also has the best prices for the strings as well as shipping. :shaka:

Hi all

Yes the Southern Ukulele Store, Talked on the phone to a really helpful guy called Paul, and had them in no time, just played the Kala again and it sounds so much more rounded and powerful without the brightness, more depth to the sound is the best way I can describe it.

cheers
Dave

Hey Kluson
I'd also like to know where you are buying Worths from in the UK. I am guessing The Southern Ukulele Store (musicislife). Maybe you could also post the info over at the UK.lele UK suppliers info thread.
Cheers
John

Hi John
which site is that could you attach a link?
cheers
Dave

Top Bottom