PDA

View Full Version : Chords that hate you.

The Pinneapple Pirate
11-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Well I've only been playing for about a month and a half so I haven't gotten into many of the really crazy chords, but right now I'm having trouble with B and Bm
just can't seem to play them, they hate me.

So I was curious, what chords do you find the hardest to play?

Melissa82
11-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Well I've only been playing for about a month and a half so I haven't gotten into many of the really crazy chords, but right now I'm having trouble with B and Bm

So I was curious, what chords do you find the hardest to play?Those and E. So evil.

The Pinneapple Pirate
11-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Those and E. So evil.
ah yes, evil E
not quite as bad as B but still no picnic

Lanark
11-21-2009, 02:47 AM
Practice. Practice. Practice.

A few months from now you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. And since B & Bm are movable chord shapes, you'll open up a larger chunk of the fretboard once you master them making for more ways to voice chords and add variety to your playing.

It's initially a bit of a struggle, but it's well worth the effort. Muscle memory & repetition. That's all it is.

wickedwahine11
11-21-2009, 04:09 AM
Keep practicing and it will get easier. B and Bm are now not a problem for me. But I still hate the evil E. And I'm not crazy about F#7 either...

Melissa82
11-21-2009, 05:24 AM
And I'm not crazy about F#7 either...Yeah, I see that one and I'm like: "Um... really? REALLY?" lol

dhkane
11-21-2009, 05:25 AM
My Bb is never a clean sound, but I keep trying. There's a couple of ways to hold it, barring works for me. Sometimes I get lazy and replace Bb with Gm7, but I use it in quick changes in a song. Otherwise, practice, practice.

I hate the E just as much as guitar players hate playing in the key of F.

freedive135
11-21-2009, 05:45 AM
Of course the E, I've been playing over a year and have just given up... E7 is my friend!!!

Now I am starting to hate Am7 now... the other one....second position

Learn to bar those B's alot easier that way

The Pinneapple Pirate
11-21-2009, 06:57 AM
Of course the E, I've been playing over a year and have just given up... E7 is my friend!!!

Now I am starting to hate Am7 now... the other one....second position

Learn to bar those B's alot easier that way

I actually don't get all the fuss about E
it was pretty tricky at first but I've kinda got the hand of it, and it only took me hours of practice every single day o.o

MisoHappy
11-21-2009, 06:59 AM
That D6 chord in dragon, the 7979 chord, oooh it detests me....

Brad Bordessa
11-21-2009, 07:07 AM
Actually, the chords probably don't hate you - they are just going "haha! Look at that sucker try and play me! Better luck next time!". :D

When I was starting E was hard. Not because I couldn't play it, but because my fingers were weak and after jamming through "Under the Boardwalk" in A they would start to hurt. Now the hardest chord for me to play consistently is Fmaj7: 2413. Keep on practicing!

ukantor
11-21-2009, 07:15 AM
FMajor7 (2413) must be one of the most difficult - that's why I always use one of three alternatives, but we've been over this several times recently.

John Colter.

CountryMouse
11-21-2009, 07:21 AM

Bm hates me too. When I finally master it, I'll be able to do "Cry Me A River"!

CountryMouse

The Pinneapple Pirate
11-21-2009, 07:24 AM
Bm hates me too. When I finally master it, I'll be able to do "Cry Me A River"!

CountryMouse

yeah right now im kinda cheating for bm
im baring C E and A with my index finger and kinda bringing my thumb over the top to mute the g string
not how you're supposed to do it, but it works for now

ukantor
11-21-2009, 07:44 AM
You can often get away with Bminor7 (2222) instead - but don't tell anyone I said it.

John Colter.

mds725
11-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Those and E. So evil.

Does anyone play the E chord by barring the fourth fret and then pressing the little (4) finger on the seventh fret of the A string?

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=641&pictureid=4071

I've been teaching myself to play the E chord the conventional way, but this seems like an okay substitute.

The Pinneapple Pirate
11-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Does anyone play the E chord by barring the fourth fret and then pressing the little (4) finger on the seventh fret of the A string?

I've been teaching myself to play the E chord the conventional way, but this seems like an okay substitute.

nah what i do is bar the g C and E strings with my pinky at the forth fret and then E on the 2nd fret with my middle finger
seems a bit easier than the way i see others doing it, for me at least

haole
11-21-2009, 08:18 AM
That D6 chord in dragon, the 7979 chord, oooh it detests me....

How do you play it? That one drove me crazy when I tried to play it as a barre chord (especially on a soprano). Then I tried first finger on the G, third finger on the C, second finger on the E, and fourth finger on the A and all of a sudden it made a lot more sense.

Tonyd
11-21-2009, 08:18 AM
I'm just 2 weeks into playing, and was feeling pretty good about my basic chords till I just watched Aldrines "Let it Snow" tuition. - Ab dim. Ohh how I'm enjoying messing up that one !.........

At 01:10 in.......
http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/11/29/uke-lesson-12-let-it-snow/

DRice
11-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Basically any chord that makes me use all 4 fingers. Something about my pinky finger not wanting to cooperate.

I'm working on it, though. My hand just doesn't want to scrunch up for chords like Abdim in "Let It Snow".

ainokeato
11-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Basically any chord that makes me use all 4 fingers. Something about my pinky finger not wanting to cooperate.

I'm working on it, though. My hand just doesn't want to scrunch up for chords like Abdim in "Let It Snow".

Haha Abdim <.< I hate that chord but I cheat and use 1010

One that really hated me was 3211 B I think gaaawd lol when I was first learning how to play my fingers were so awkward xD I never knew I was physically uncapable of pushing lightly down on a few strings until I started to play.

thejumpingflea
11-21-2009, 09:46 AM
The Piano Forte F+ chord is really a pain and I still have trouble with a tenor uke getting a super clear sound.

X168 is the fingering. (X means don't play ;) )

For the longest time I couldn't do an E either. When I was first starting out it was painful. Practice practice practice!

ukantor
11-21-2009, 10:28 AM
"X168 is the fingering. (X means don't play )"

You are joking, I hope? That's a physical impossibility for me, even on a soprano!

John Colter.

ainokeato
11-21-2009, 10:30 AM

You are joking, I hope? That's a physical impossibility for me, even on a soprano!

John Colter.

lol I just tried holding that and my pinky can barely reach the sixth fret.

ukumic
11-21-2009, 10:39 AM
I think with chords like B and especially Bb (Bbm, etc.) it also depends on the action of the uke. I often messed these up on my Kala tenor and it required a lot of strength to press the strings down on the first fret. Then I got my Kanile'a tenor where the action is way lower and it's so much easier to play these chords now! So besides practice, practice, practice, it might also be worth to check your action. :)

pigwig
11-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Huh. I don't have problems with B, Bb, Bm at all. Am I weirdy? :confused:

But yeah, E gives me the hot willies. I haven't tried any more of the more difficult chords.

JT_Ukes
11-21-2009, 12:11 PM

It Depends on the song.. but yes..

in this one I use the 4447 E it just sounds right and with how quickly the changes are, mush easier too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbeheRmglbA&feature=channel

thejumpingflea
11-21-2009, 12:15 PM

John Colter.

No, I am not. Haha, it is a real pain in the arse.

Jake has these small hands and can do it. I am amazed every time I hear the song.

CountryMouse
11-21-2009, 12:20 PM
You can often get away with Bminor7 (2222) instead - but don't tell anyone I said it.

John Colter.

Nuts, that won't work in the song I'm working on--just doesn't sound right. Oh well! Thanks for the tip!

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
11-21-2009, 12:23 PM
My Bb is never a clean sound, but I keep trying. There's a couple of ways to hold it, barring works for me. Sometimes I get lazy and replace Bb with Gm7, but I use it in quick changes in a song. Otherwise, practice, practice.

I hate the E just as much as guitar players hate playing in the key of F.

Ooo, like that Gm7 sound! That might work in some spots for me--thanks!

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
11-21-2009, 12:27 PM
yeah right now im kinda cheating for bm
im baring C E and A with my index finger and kinda bringing my thumb over the top to mute the g string
not how you're supposed to do it, but it works for now

Hey, whatever works! I tried that and I can get a better sound! My fingers just don't want to work the other way!

CountryMouse

DRice
11-21-2009, 01:21 PM

Playing Jody Kamisato's version of White Sandy Beach over and over and over again helped me learn to make those chord shapes. Sure it's Bb and Bbmin but the shapes are the same.

Rick
11-21-2009, 02:11 PM
I can honestly say that I have no problems with chords at all. I don't get the whole E, Em, B, Bm issue. I guess its because I practice the chord shapes doing exercises and such. even diminished chords aren't an issue :]

the one that gives me the most trouble (doesn't even matter at all) would be... G#m.

grammy
11-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Fmaj7, 1 string 1 fret, it depends which chord you come from, but any kind of 'tight' chord position like a diminished to this 'open' one gives me trouble. i usually fudge it by skipping the 4th note or placing the pinkie late.

The Pinneapple Pirate
11-21-2009, 03:36 PM
The Piano Forte F+ chord is really a pain and I still have trouble with a tenor uke getting a super clear sound.

X168 is the fingering. (X means don't play ;) )

For the longest time I couldn't do an E either. When I was first starting out it was painful. Practice practice practice!

wow im never gonna manage to play that one haha

The Pinneapple Pirate
11-21-2009, 03:38 PM
I can honestly say that I have no problems with chords at all. I don't get the whole E, Em, B, Bm issue. I guess its because I practice the chord shapes doing exercises and such. even diminished chords aren't an issue :]

the one that gives me the most trouble (doesn't even matter at all) would be... G#m.

no problem at all? O.O
i hate you haha that is awesome, im jealous