new mainland - worth browns

bazmaz

Reaction score
Ok, so this morning I re-strung my Mainland Mahogany Concert with Worth Browns (mediums). I have always been an Aquila person, and this is the first time i've tried them.

Comments:

1. A pig to string compared to aquilas. Aquila, because they are rougher tend to "bite" better at the saddle and post, and dont need knotting. As they are less slippery, they are quicker to put on in my view. These took me twice as long as usual!

2. Sound - not convinced - the volume of my instrument has noticeable dropped - sounds a bit too mellow for my ears. My Mainland with aquilas used to be on a par, volume wise, with my Flea with aquilas - now the Flea is much louder.

3. I'm getting a bit of a buzz on the A string which is annoying - presumably due to extra tension.

Any comments - people speak so highly of worths, but these sound a bit muddy and muffled to me - do they improve?

I had Fremont Blacklines on my Mainland before Worth Browns. I thought the Blacklines had a similarity crispness and volume to Aquilas and a similar depth of tone (for lack of a better term) to Worths. The Worths really have a lower register that sings smoothly and deeply better than Aquilas, but lack the brightness and volume. I thought the Blacklines covered that middle ground really well.

I didn't have to knot fluorocarbon strings, but I did have to loop them an extra time to keep them from slipping.

I love Worth BTs on my Kala mahogany tenor. Aquilas are good - nice and loud - but the Worths have the edge on tone.

That said, I'll happily still use Aquilas if I can't find Worths. They both work well on my uke. :)

did a bit of stretching this aft ( is it just me - I read a lot on here about people saying strings need to "settle down"... as a guitarist, those strings are the same, but the answer is put em on tune em, then gently pull them up, retune, repeat...)

They sound better now they have settled to be honest. A still buzzing very very slightly. Not sure they are quieter, but they kind of need a different "attack". Aquilas seem to make great noise however sloppy I play, but I'm feeling the Worths need more of a nail attack to get the sound. Soft playing doesnt seem anywhere near as nice as the Aquilas at present.

I have a set of browns on a Mainland concert mango and they're perfect. I do mostly fingerpicking and although they're not as sensitive as Aquila, they are my preferred brand of ukulele string... although I'm always on the lookout for something new. I sense you'll be trying out other strings in the future, so please keep us informed if you find an interesting alternative.

:cheers:

I've got worth browns on my mainland mahogany concert and I really love the sound. It sounds a lot more natural to me than the aquilas.

Hi Paul

I changed the Aquilas on my Kala to Worth Browns and the sound is fantastic. Soprano size Kala with a Spruce top,knowing Spruce can be a bit harsh and brash, the Worths have really calmed this down and added considerable depth to the tone. I really like the sound of my Mainland Concert with the Aquilas and am not sure if I could gain anything with a change there but for sure the little Kala sounds much better and easier for me to play.

all the best
Dave

I strung worth BM on my Mainland mahogany concert with the slotheadstock. I love the sound and feel over aquilas.

To me, it seems that if you are using Aquilas, the strings are making most of the noise.
BUT... if you are using Worths....It feels like the higher tension is putting more emphasis on the wood's vibrations thus creating a 'better' tone.

That could just be in my head ... to each their own

My Worth Browns only stayed on my Flea about 10-15 minutes - they were just way too dull and quiet. I replaced them with Worth Clears, which have a much more ringing and musical tone. I also like Aquilas on the Flea, but find the Worth Clears are a little more mellow and "pure" sounding. Worth Clears also sound great on a Fluke, which to me didn't sound very good with Aquilas.

Bottom line, it all comes down to personal taste. Worth Browns don't suit my tastes, but I'm glad I tried them.

[...] I'm feeling the Worths need more of a nail attack to get the sound. [...]

Yeh, I'd say that's right - but once you get the feel they are wonderful on the right uke.

[...]Bottom line, it all comes down to personal taste.[...]

Indeed - and the right strings for the right uke.

I attempt to play guitar, bass guitar, mandolin, bouzouki, fiddle, tenor banjo and ukulele. Apart from maybe fiddle, I've never known an instrument that can have its whole character transformed as completely by a change of strings as can happen with a uke. :eek:

Top Bottom