PDA

View Full Version : 8 string tuning question

cjensen91910
11-21-2009, 02:35 AM
Went in for a set of strings. Out of what I needed. Saw a Lanikai 8 string, played it and bought it! What happened! All I needed was a set of strings! Any way,, can the 8 string be re strung to a G tuning like my other tenor is? Has any body done this? Can it be done?

wearymicrobe
11-21-2009, 04:11 AM
If you mean ggcCeeaa then yes, you will need two sets of strings or a extra G from another set to do it.

A 8 string can be strung so many different ways its really up to personal preference. Personally I am a gGcCeEAA person gives it a Tahitian sort of sound.

cjensen91910
11-21-2009, 07:04 AM
I mean Dgbe as my other tenor is tuned. Unsure if this can be done and curious.

keithy351
11-21-2009, 11:41 AM
I mean Dgbe as my other tenor is tuned. Unsure if this can be done and curious.

yeh it can be i when i was buying my first 8 string it was tuned DdGgbbee or something along those lines

cjensen91910
11-21-2009, 12:46 PM
If this can be done does any body know where the strings can be obtained? Or at least the sizes needed so I can get some single strings and try it. I would like to have this Uke tuned like my guitar and other tenor. No chord pattern changes then from one to another. Thanks much for the replies..

cjensen91910
11-22-2009, 04:22 AM
I really must stop going into Grampa's Music here in St Augustine!! He just opened another shop south of here that is ALL Uke's!! Every time I go in I end up spending at least triple what I had planned on. I am going to talk to him about setting it up for me in G tune and see what he thinks. He is a great player with a good luthier so I should get a good read on this idea. Will let all know what he says.. Again, thanks for the replies...

nohandles
11-22-2009, 04:32 AM
AQUILA makes an 8 sting set already matched that I regularly go between tunings. http://elderly.com/accessories/items/ANT8.htm
You might want to check these out- Doug