Newbie looking for my first Uke.

Gman

Reaction score
Howdy all! I've been looking for a new hobby, and the ukulele seems like a good instrument to learn. I'm a shorter fella, with matching short arms, and I thought I might be able to hold a Uke a little more comfortably than a guitar.

Anywho, anyone have any suggestions? I found this one, and it seems to have a reasonable beginner price tag. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ele?sku=512519

=Gman

LOL Fred, your links were good. Thanks for posting more. :)

Deadeye, That's the thing. I'm not sure. I'm looking for affordability as well. Under a hundred if I can do it. I want to minimize the risk of spending a lot on something really nice and not taking advantage of it. If that makes sense. I haven't played anything since middle school (trumpet), and I know I'll get frustrated at first, set it aside, etc.

Attachments

• image (6).jpg
    image (6).jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 8
if you get on that is 99$ its free shipping, the Oscar Schmidt OU03 or something is $99, thats a very good soprano to start off with.

There's a lot of new ukulele companies out there now that sell great ukulele's for a cheap price. The guys that have posted so far have lots of experience in purchasing new and affordable ukes. I hardly go out and buy ukuleles now. I only have knowledge from back in the day when they still made "Prelude" and "Hilo" ukuleles hahahaha Although I'm trying to educate myself with the new products out there and I'm very impressed with how things are going and how affordable and cheap ukuleles are getting.

Best bet would be with Kala or lanikai, or maybe even that oscar schmidt :D

Thanks so much guys. Y'all are awesome!

Okay, one more question. What's a good first song to learn? Is "Somewhere over the Rainbow" to ambitious?

Thanks so much guys. Y'all are awesome!

Okay, one more question. What's a good first song to learn? Is "Somewhere over the Rainbow" to ambitious?

nothing is too ambitious as long as your heart is in it to play it. when i started i just took for major chords and started to play them, to get used to moving my fingers around and figuring a strum pattern that i am comfortable with.

eventually after that, then you get chords to a song and you start playing them. but if you want to play Somewhere over the Rainbow then by all meand do it!!!!

send video so we can see the progress.

flukes! looks like a toy but sounds ok for a first uke. but if you want something more traditional,kala,lanikai,or be a big dog and get a kamaka.

for a beginner uke, the kala and lanikai series are great ukes for the money. i would stick with the mahogany or spruce series though. the advertised koa ukes do not use solid koa for the bodies. they are a koa laminate. but they come in body styles that are not offered in the lower model ukuleles.

what is your budget? by posting up that LU-21 standard, it doesnt look like much. but if you let us know what your spending limit is, we might be able to help you better.

personally, if you are going to get a beginner uke, you might want to cap off your spending limit at $200. if it seems high, think about the phrase "you get what you pay for". if it seems low, then hey, almost anything you get over that would be a pretty decent ukulele.

but shop around too. i found a place here in san diego that sells decent ukuleles for CHEAP. they are made by either sunlite or hilo (stick with the sunlites) and for a tenor or baritone, they go for about $50-60. these arent your novelty toy ukes either. i have a hilo baritone and my brother has a sunlite tenor. i instally pickups in both of them, set the action a little better and upgraded the strings and now they are actually pretty decent instruments. but for just about the same amount of money i put into each of those, you can get a lanikai LU-21T with pickup. my friend owns one and its a decent piece as well.

ya i hear lanikai's r good for being so cheap. same goes for kala (which i got). as for size, i would go with either concert or tenor, tenor being the slightly larger one.

Top Bottom