USB Instrument Cable help?

ainokeato

Reaction score
So I was at target yesterday and I found this cable it was basically a USB cable with what looked like the thing you'd plug into the pickup on the ukulele (>.< excuse my lack of terminology). I'm wondering if anyone has used this on their ukulele and if it is usable if you have the MISI pickup. I only ask because there have been things I bought that later I found out that it's not even usable, and that I thought you had to go through an amp then plug it into the computer to be able to record.

I have no idea what you have bought but i am instinctively sceptical. USB carries digital signal. a normal cable into a pick up carries analogue audio. i can't see how it can work without some kind of digital converter on the cable somewhere.

I would think that the cable would come with "drivers" that would tell the computer how to enterperet the sound. I have seen what you are talking about and in theory it should work....

You may have seen a "SnakeLight" instrument to usb cable (has green lights on each end). People have reported mixed results with the instrument to usb cable.

I purchased their mic-to-usb cable and found that it did not have enough volume to be useful.

The big issue with these types of cables is that they do not contain any type of pre-amp or amplifier in the cable. The cable only converts an analog sound signal to a digital signal, but does not boost the level of the signal.

You may have seen a "SnakeLight" instrument to usb cable (has green lights on each end). People have reported mixed results with the instrument to usb cable.

I purchased their mic-to-usb cable and found that it did not have enough volume to be useful.

It's actually Lightsnake. I have also seen mixed reviews. There are a couple of threads here on UU. I've never tried it.

The big issue with these types of cables is that they do not contain any type of pre-amp or amplifier in the cable. The cable only converts an analog sound signal to a digital signal, but does not boost the level of the signal.

In all the descriptions that I've read, there is a 20 dB boost.

I didn't have a clue so I looked it up:

http://musicthing.blogspot.com/2006/04/lighsnake-usb-guitar-cable.html

This one has a A/D converter built right into the cable.... If the one you bought was cheap, it may be a guitar hero game cable or some other game system accessory.

Nope.. I've seen them in target.. designed for acoustic/electric instruments. Can't vouch for the quality.. but Target has a good return policy. Try it out and see.

http://www.target.com/s/186-5510309...=1038576&searchPage=1&searchRank=target104545

Last edited:
It's actually Lightsnake. I have also seen mixed reviews. There are a couple of threads here on UU. I've never tried it.

I didn't think there would be any threads of this on UU before i'll look them up thanks Seeso. :) Glad to know i'm not the only one confused about it.

I didn't have a clue so I looked it up:

http://musicthing.blogspot.com/2006/04/lighsnake-usb-guitar-cable.html

This one has a A/D converter built right into the cable.... If the one you bought was cheap, it may be a guitar hero game cable or some other game system accessory.

That's exactly what I saw at Target, it wasn't brand named "Lightsnake" or anything but that's essentially what I saw at Target, they were both the same price the one in that link and the one I saw both were fourty bucks.

I don't believe it would be for a game I have never heard of a game like but then again with technology who knows right? xD

Thanks JT I completely forgot about the return policy (never really needed to return anything I bought lol) :) I'll go to Target within the next couple weeks and pick one up, and special for everyone I'll throw a review on my experience and give some sound samples while i'm at it.

In all the descriptions that I've read, there is a 20 dB boost.

Seeso, thanks for the correction on the name. This is definitely not a flexible flashlight...

I realize the OP is talking about the instrument to usb version, but...

Their mic-to-usb also claimed a 20 dB boost, but it didn't seem to be there in my case. The mic-to-usb product is designed to work with dynamic mics - which I was using. Even with the mic level cranked up in the computer settings I had to be extremely close to the mic and talk very loud. Uke playing barely came through.

The product installed on XP Pro without a problem (no drivers need to be loaded), and was recognized by Audacity without a problem.

I believe that Alesis also makes a version of this called a "Guitarlink".

Top Bottom