Hiya folks!

Deets

Reaction score
I'm DT, 20 years old, from the itty bitty island of Bahrain (brownie points if you know where that is!)

I don't have my own uke...yet! :( This will definitely change soon, though. The ukulele is pretty much nonexistant here in the Middle East. No music stores carry it! And I'm a bit antsy about ordering one online. Anyhoo! I've always been fascinated with the uke and I'm looking forward to joining y'all as a legit ukulele player! I'm no newbie to music, I play guitar, cello, sax, bass, harmonica, and drums. I enjoy bursting into song at the most inopportune moments, misshapen pancakes, and confetti. Hi!

Boy , i felt bad for u cause no one replied yet, so heres mine.
I was amazed by how many different instruments u played.
The ukulele was my 2nd interment after trumpet, that i don't
play any more. Hope u get ur uke reel soon so u can enjoy what
the rest of feel, and hope u share what u no with the rest of us

Well come to UU

Boy , i felt bad for u cause no one replied yet, so heres mine.
I was amazed by how many different instruments u played.
The ukulele was my 2nd interment after trumpet, that i don't
play any more. Hope u get ur uke reel soon so u can enjoy what
the rest of feel, and hope u share what u no with the rest of us

Well come to UU

Thank you for the sincere welcome!
I very much hope I get my uke soon as well, I'm just aching to play one! I've even considered turning my 3/4 sized guitar into a tenor uke in order to quench my thirst...for now, that is! And much respect to trumpeteers, brass instruments are the one group I'm much too scared to approach.

wow 6 instruments, that's crazy awesome
do you write music or anything?

anyhoo if you're looking to buy online i'd go with http://stores.ebay.com/Musicguymics-Room
bought mine there, definitely gonna buy my next there

welcome to UU deets

I do, but definitely not very well! I'm still not completely terrific at music theory as I'm self taught in most of the instruments I know (besides saxophone and cello) and I still need to do my grade 5 ABRSM theory exam to get further on those two! Argh! Most of the stuff I write are just silly songs on acoustic guitar.

Thank you very much for the site recommendation! I've looked through it and I gotta say, I'm quite interested in the Ohana CK-70RB. If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take to ship and what condition was it in when it arrived? Did it need any tweaking or anything?

Musicguymic (aka MGM when most people abbreviate it on UU) and his crew pack everything really well. They've had plenty of practice and it's rare that you find anybody who plays uke who hasn't gotten something from him sometime.
He usually ships super fast. The turnaround is usually within 24 hours from my experience. (I've ordered strings and gotten and email that they were in the mail about an hour later) He's good at giving you shipping info and all that info and the instrument will arrive set up and adjusted and ready to play.
I don't really know how fast a package might get to Bahrain though. I suspect that it might be something you'd need to email him about before you order. He does ship worldwide so I don't think it would be a big deal. He's universally respected as the dealer for all things ukulele.

I do, but definitely not very well! I'm still not completely terrific at music theory as I'm self taught in most of the instruments I know (besides saxophone and cello) and I still need to do my grade 5 ABRSM theory exam to get further on those two! Argh! Most of the stuff I write are just silly songs on acoustic guitar.

Thank you very much for the site recommendation! I've looked through it and I gotta say, I'm quite interested in the Ohana CK-70RB. If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take to ship and what condition was it in when it arrived? Did it need any tweaking or anything?

ah yeah i hear that, im self taught with piano too, think most of my songs aren't that great
but you should post em on youtube or something, might be you think they're silly but everyone else thinks they're awesome ;)

well i dunno, shipping is different depending on where you live
im in nevada, took about 3 days to get here, which was a lot less than i expect so it was a nice surprise
and the condition was great, really carefully packed and everything, and it even came with a little piece of paper that told me how to take care of it and all that stuff too

only thing i needed to do when it got here was tune it, and then pretend i knew how to play

http://www.get-tuned.com/ukulele_tuner.php
there's a little tuning site for ya if you need it
hope you get your uke soon

Musicguymic (aka MGM when most people abbreviate it on UU) and his crew pack everything really well. They've had plenty of practice and it's rare that you find anybody who plays uke who hasn't gotten something from him sometime.
He usually ships super fast. The turnaround is usually within 24 hours from my experience. (I've ordered strings and gotten and email that they were in the mail about an hour later) He's good at giving you shipping info and all that info and the instrument will arrive set up and adjusted and ready to play.
I don't really know how fast a package might get to Bahrain though. I suspect that it might be something you'd need to email him about before you order. He does ship worldwide so I don't think it would be a big deal. He's universally respected as the dealer for all things ukulele.

I've emailed him about about shipping and stuff and it really does seem like he's the go to guy, especially for a beginner like me. Thank you for all the advice! I'm about to order from him now. :D

ah yeah i hear that, im self taught with piano too, think most of my songs aren't that great
but you should post em on youtube or something, might be you think they're silly but everyone else thinks they're awesome ;)

well i dunno, shipping is different depending on where you live
im in nevada, took about 3 days to get here, which was a lot less than i expect so it was a nice surprise
and the condition was great, really carefully packed and everything, and it even came with a little piece of paper that told me how to take care of it and all that stuff too

only thing i needed to do when it got here was tune it, and then pretend i knew how to play

http://www.get-tuned.com/ukulele_tuner.php

there's a little tuning site for ya if you need it
hope you get your uke soon

Oh, I do have a Youtube with only a couple of songs on it! They really are just silly random songs that pop into my head at any given time. Here's my 'tube if you're interested -> http://www.youtube.com/user/dt2577

I expect it'd take around a couple of weeks to get all the way here as that seems to be the case for most things, but that's alright! Well worth the wait, I'd say!:D

Thanks for the site! I'm quite alright with tuning, but I'm curious about uke tuning. I hear you have to play em for a couple of days before the strings "set" or something....?

Hi DEETS!

Gosh i hate to hear that you have no access to your own ukulele...YET. Im a newbie to this site as well,,i see many guys have responded with good cheer. Keep us up to date brother. David Artista

Oh, I do have a Youtube with only a couple of songs on it! They really are just silly random songs that pop into my head at any given time. Here's my 'tube if you're interested -> http://www.youtube.com/user/dt2577

I expect it'd take around a couple of weeks to get all the way here as that seems to be the case for most things, but that's alright! Well worth the wait, I'd say!:D

Thanks for the site! I'm quite alright with tuning, but I'm curious about uke tuning. I hear you have to play em for a couple of days before the strings "set" or something....?

ha yeah 'i like cheese' is a pretty random sounding song name
but hey i got one called 'grape soda' so more power to ya

yeah i heard that too, there is quite a bit of tuning at first until the strings stick with the notes, but it's not too bad

so what kind of uke did you order?

Gosh i hate to hear that you have no access to your own ukulele...YET. Im a newbie to this site as well,,i see many guys have responded with good cheer. Keep us up to date brother. David Artista

I know! Isn't it SUCH a downer? Heh. Thank you for sympathizing with me, however I must point out that I am a sister! Haha :D

ha yeah 'i like cheese' is a pretty random sounding song name
but hey i got one called 'grape soda' so more power to ya

yeah i heard that too, there is quite a bit of tuning at first until the strings stick with the notes, but it's not too bad

so what kind of uke did you order?

Grape soda is awesome, man. It deserves a song. Good on ya!

Alright, that's cool! Yech, actually didn't get a chance to order yet due to a maxed out credit card :eek: BUT once that's fixed, I'm going for the Ohana CK 50GS concer ukulele!

Welcome to UU, DT.

Grape soda is awesome, man. It deserves a song. Good on ya!

Alright, that's cool! Yech, actually didn't get a chance to order yet due to a maxed out credit card :eek: BUT once that's fixed, I'm going for the Ohana CK 50GS concer ukulele!
that it is, best soda in the history of the world
though i've heard there's actually a type of pineapple soda, so grape might have a run for it's money
i need to find me some of that

oh awesome
i was actually looking into that one when i was gonna buy, but personally i prefer the more outlandish looking ones so i settled on a kala kiwi

well hey hope you get your credit card thing worked out soon
cuz seriously, you NEED a ukulele, they're awesome

Hi Deets, and a warm welcome to ya! The thing about uke strings is that when you tune them up for the first time, they start to lose tension almost immediately, as they settle in. So you have to wind 'em up a bit more, and a bit more, etc. This goes on for several days, with increasing gaps between re-tuning, until they have settled.

To someone who isn't aware of it, it seems like a problem, but it isn't.

Your first uke will be worth waiting for. You're going to love it!

Enjoy,

John Colter.

Hi Deets, and a warm welcome to ya! The thing about uke strings is that when you tune them up for the first time, they start to lose tension almost immediately, as they settle in. So you have to wind 'em up a bit more, and a bit more, etc. This goes on for several days, with increasing gaps between re-tuning, until they have settled.

To someone who isn't aware of it, it seems like a problem, but it isn't.

Your first uke will be worth waiting for. You're going to love it!

Enjoy,

John Colter.

Thanks very much!

Top Bottom