Uke Upgrade Advice

addie52

Reaction score
Hello! I'm sure this question has been answered before, but I could use some advice.

I have had my purple cheap-o mahalo for a couple years, but finally decided its well past time to upgrade to an instrument with a higher sound quality! Although I love my uke, I have noticed that some of the more advanced techniques like hammer pulls and pull offs don't really work so well on it. I am hoping not to spend much more than $100. What model would be the best bang for my buck?

Also, as a more temporary solution, would replacing the strings make a difference with these problems? I still have the original ones on there...

Thanks for your help!

the 7 bucks it will take to put aquila strings on there will make it sound better than a 100 kala with stock strings. I suggest you keep you cash and just upgrade the stings, keep saving till you get to the 200 range and go for a solid wood uke.

I agree changing the strings to aquila's will make a world of difference, I just put a low g set on my old Hilo baritone and can't believe the difference. But if you really want a new uke (and who doesn't!), I love my Makala tenor and it was about $120 from MGM perfectly set up with aguilas and a case. I think the sopranos are right around $100. Any of the lower end Kala's seem to be good inexpensive ukes.

Look at the Ohana Long Neck solid mahogany soprano... There is a thread in the uke reviews.... They go for 125.00 (buy now price)on ebay but you can bid on them and get them for as low as 99.00 if you're lucky......

I have one and it's very nice!!!!

Top Bottom