Dingwall bass

UkéDan

Reaction score
Yesterday I saw a great rythm section from Vancouver, backing Andrew Allen, and the girl was playing a dingwall bass. Wow. what a great looking and great sounding bass. Any experience with these? They seem expensive but there's a Made in China line called the combustion.

They've got some kind of fan frets.

I was blown away not only by this section's playing but also by that bass.:drool:

Of course, now :iwant:

Oh forgot to say that Andrew did't play hus ukulele yesterday....

Last edited:
Yesterday I saw a great rythm section from Vancouver, backing Andrew Allen, and the girl was playing a dingwall bass. Wow. what a great looking and great sounding bass. Any experience with these? They seem expensive but there's a Made in China line called the combustion.

They've got some kind of fan frets.

I was blown away not only by this section's playing but also by that bass.:drool:

Of course, now :iwant:

Oh forgot to say that Andrew did't play hus ukulele yesterday....

I've heard only good things about dingwall basses...
I want a dingwall bass so bad...I'm planning to go to this workshop

http://www.canrockbassbash.com/

Sheldon Dingwall is going to be there among others...it should be good...its in april in Calgary,AB....maybe he'll have some basses with him to sell...maybe I'll bring my uke and woo him to give me one! lol:p

Wow wish I was out your way. Please report back in April. Months of practice ahead, he'll be wooed...

I'm especially curious about playing on those fanned frets. I've got small fingers (hence the soprano ukes). But then again, I also play an Epi EB3...

Any snow yet in Calgary???

Wow wish I was out your way. Please report back in April. Months of practice ahead, he'll be wooed...

I'm especially curious about playing on those fanned frets. I've got small fingers (hence the soprano ukes). But then again, I also play an Epi EB3...

Any snow yet in Calgary???

theres been snow in calgary in banff for a while now I think..i live just outside of edmonton and we have snow...and the slopes are open...so yeah I will definitely update when I do the drive down there in april...i have small fingers as well not really a difference imo...ive played both fanned and parallel...theres definitely that difference in feel and SOUND......hmm an EB3..i've yet to try one...i currently have a warwick corvette its my baby!!!:p

I can chime in on the fanned frets. I've got a Wes Lambe 8 string guitar (look up Charlie Hunter on youtube for the definitive 8 string experience) and it has fanned-frets. Both Wes and Dingwall license the patent from Novax Guitars. The theory is that it gives you truer intonation and a more even distribution of string tension since you have longer bass strings and shorter trebles. On extended range instruments such as an 8 string guitar, it's a requirement. On a bass, not so much, but it has a particular feel to it. It's nice, to me. As far as playing it, you honestly don't even notice the fanned frets after an hour. It feels totally natural (to me at least).

If you want a Dingwall, go for it. They have a good reputation and the fanned frets should cause you no problem at all.

-John

Top Bottom