Anyone ever play a Mya-Moe?

iDavid

Reaction score
These ukes have my attention. I will probably go for a less expensive uke, but these have me second guessing myself

anyone play one

impressions?

david

I am saving for one of these ... clicky!

I got to play quite a few last year when they came to the Denver Uke Fest they all played/sound as good as they look!!!!

Wish I could play the lap steel slide Uke it sounds soooooo sweet.

I got to play quite a few last year when they came to the Denver Uke Fest they all played/sound as good as they look!!!!

Wish I could play the lap steel slide Uke it sounds soooooo sweet.

Hey! You can play a lap steel slide Uke. All it takes is a little time, right?

I tried a mango tenor at Portland Uke Fest and was very impressed. Well made, sounded great, felt great.

I played an all koa tenor resonator Mya Moe at Dusty Strings in Seattle last year. It was a very nice uke; well-made, great attention to detail; beautifully finished, with great tone and playability. The National-Resophonic concert mahogany Dust Strings also had in stock had a bit more volume and slightly better note separation. I've emailed with Gordon about the possibility of a custom and he seems like a very personable, accommodating, and knowledgeable builder. Mya Moe's website is, IMHO, fantastic. :D

I hadn't heard of the DeSilva before this thread, but after clicking through some of their offerings, I am really impressed. Now I just need to scrape together a few thousand dollars to get all the custom ukes my heart desires...

As far as the Mya-Moe's are concerned...I have no idea. I've never played one, but I'd sure like to. All I can say is that this uke is gorgeous:

http://tinyurl.com/yllqyqs

So good...

I played a Mya-Moe Resonator at the New York Ukulele Festival last spring. High quality craftsmanship. Worth every penny! Go for it!
Regards,
Ray

I tried one once - a mango tenor.

The construction was truly awesome. And the wood choice was truly sublime. Could not be better.

But it was a very heavy instrument. Which could be good or bad depending on your taste. I have a De Silva and his ukes are far lighter.

The mango I tried was very mellow for my taste. So the only take away here is - awesome builder but be aware that there is a huge range of sounds depending on the wood type choosen.

I do hope and plan to buy one of his instruments one day.

I own a Maya-Moe Resonator, of mango wood. It is a joy to play. Fabulous craftsmanship and tone. I don't know why these fine instruments are not more expensive. They are a deal!

myamoe.jpg

I have a mango tenor on order from them. It should be done later this month. I went to their "factory" in late November to play some of their ukes (their factory is a small building on their property where the two of them build). They are fantastic. I ordered one on the spot. Gordon and Char Mayer are also absolutely lovely people.

From the clips on you tube and on their site, they sound great. All I hear about them is raves from those who have them or have tried them. They also seem to pack in a lot of bang for the buck.

Top Bottom