Uke Destruction

Susie A

Reaction score
I have a cigar box that I want to make into a Uke.

Tuesday Morning still has a few of those HS Musical Ukes for 20 bucks. I was thinking of picking one up to tear apart and use the neck and bridge for my build.

Will I go to uke purgatory if I destroy a perfectly fine instrument, even if it is to build another?

Just be sure that if you are going to use the fretboard that it is intonated correctly. Some cheap ukes don't have good intonation.

They are actually made by Washburn and the one I have is spot on! I just have such a difficult time destroying and instrument. Where do I even start?

I have a cigar box that I want to make into a Uke.

Tuesday Morning still has a few of those HS Musical Ukes for 20 bucks. I was thinking of picking one up to tear apart and use the neck and bridge for my build.

Will I go to uke purgatory if I destroy a perfectly fine instrument, even if it is to build another?

i think you maybe rewarded for it...just for the fact that you would be destroying something highschool musical related!

I would cut the fretboard away from the body with a dremel bit on the top and then bash the body with a rubber mallet. It's worked for me.

I used a home steamer and a putty knife to separate the top/back sides of a $20 el cheapo uke to do exactly what you're thinking about doing. You can see the results in my profile, and get all sorts of help from the guys at www.cigarboxnation.com

Last edited:

Tuesday Morning has those!? Man, I gotta check the one near here. I didn't see any a week ago at the one near my Mom. Balls!
Those ukes are Washburn/Oscar Schmidt concert size.
Can't wait to see your creation.

I almost didn't believe you when you said high school musical uke's. So I googled it and cried a little. Then I clicked a link and laughed.

• Includes strings
I found this funny. "Oh no you're going to buy a stringed instruments without the strings"

If it works :) I would love to see what you created GOOD LUCK most of all.

I almost didn't believe you when you said high school musical uke's. So I googled it and cried a little. Then I clicked a link and laughed.

I found this funny. "Oh no you're going to buy a stringed instruments without the strings"

If it works :) I would love to see what you created GOOD LUCK most of all.

lol ... I wouldn't really call them strings, but after putting on aquilas it doesn't sound half bad. Still haven't had the heart to bust it up.

I mentioned it in another thread, but thanks to your guidance, I got one of these HSM ukes yesterday. Definitely b-stock. But a few minutes attention to the frets and neck from the local luthier, I've got a colorful new concert size beater.
As for the strings, well, my cats think these are strings. Though even the cats prefer aquilas.

Top Bottom