Slotted headstock news...

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Because I don't do a lot of bling I am now making the slotted headstock 'standard' on all tenors. The last two I have done have looked so elegant I can't consign this style to the option pile any more...

Excellent, The tenors really suit the slotted headstock, in my humble opinion

That's great. I think slotted peg heads look really elegant on an Instrument.
Do you have any pictures you can post? Doug

Great idea! It is hard to beat a slotted headstock. Will the price of your ukes stay the same?

I like slotted headstocks because they are reminiscent of the old 12 fret neck, small-bodied parlor guitars. In my opinion, a slotted headstock loans an aura of tasteful elegance to an instrument...:D

Why is that exactly? I don't understand the slotted headstock phenomenon. Is it simply because Jake plays an uke with one?

I can't speak for the rest of the people. For me Jake is not the reason. I just like the way it looks :).
I like classical headstocks too. Especially when they are inlayed as beautifully as yours are.

When I started out in '94 building 6 and 8 string tenors, they had slotted headstocks. Over the years, I've tried to get the proportions right and now I have I want to celebrate this and go for it. There will be a 4% price rise: not significant in the scheme of things...

Why is that exactly? I don't understand the slotted headstock phenomenon. Is it simply because Jake plays an uke with one?

This is why I love slotted headstocks:

lk7-1.jpg

I can't speak for the rest of the people. For me Jake is not the reason. I just like the way it looks :).
I like classical headstocks too. Especially when they are inlayed as beautifully as yours are.

I think its just what's in style now. Lots of people see Jake's ukulele and see how nice it looks.
Slot heads look classy...especially on a tenor size. I think they look more "serious" than a peg head style. That thin wood on the outside with the machinery showing and the posts running across the slot with the strings wrapped around.....makes regular tuners look like a kid stuff

Don't throw out your peg head plans Pete.....they'll be back someday

Uh Chuck? Care to respond to that one?:D

Hideous! Almost as bad as this one.
Jake has done a lot in getting the ukulele the exposure and respect it deserves. As accomplished and as popular as he is, there are naturally going to be a lot of imitators. I only hope that people do not overlook or under value their own individuality and creativity.

Attachments

• bamboo slotted.jpg
    bamboo slotted.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 59
Top Bottom