Ukulele's as a gateway....errr...umm

freedive135

Reaction score
First it started with just one little Soprano, as an experment, just to see what it is like... Now I am finding that not only has the Uke taken over my life, I even decorated a room to be able to play in, I always have a Uke with me so I can sneak in some playing.

the Uke has become an addiction that is leading to the harder stuff/bigger problems (were do I fit all the guitars now) and more spending.... now that I have an amp I NEED a Uke with a pick up and no I am not going to install one (thanks for the vid on that) I'll just sneak in a new Uke!!!

What is next Banjo's.... Stand Up Basses?!?!?!?

These Ukulele's should be a controlled substance.........:rolleyes:

Seeing as my Uke pusher (shop) is closed on Sundays I'm off to see the Guitar pusher!!!!:drool:

Last edited:
First it started with just one little Soprano, as an experment, just to see what it is like... Now I am finding that not only has the Uke taken over my life, I even decorated a room to be able to play in, I always have a Uke with me so I can sneak in some playing.

the Uke has become an addiction that is leading to the harder stuff/bigger problems (were do I fit all the guitars now) and more spending.... now that I have an amp I NEED a Uke with a pick up and no I am not going to install one (thanks for the vid on that) I'll just sneak in a new Uke!!!

Seeing as my Uke pusher (shop) is closed on Sundays I'm off to see the Guitar pusher!!!!:drool:

I know what you mean--I already have a mental list of ukuleles I want, but I do NOT want other instruments (okay, yes, I'd like to replace my autoharp and get another dulcimer some day). But I am thinking along the lines of eventually getting a uke with a pickup and an amp--am I NUTS?!?! The ukuleles I have NOW are too loud for my voice! But it's...it's...just something I WANT!

The thing that makes it soooo easy to "get onto" ukuleles is that it's EASY. And there are more and more dealers carrying ukes, right out in the open, nowadays! You can learn three chords...well, even just two chords...and MAKE MUSIC. It makes you feel good! Heck, it makes other people around you feel good! It's like a natural high. :D

Sooooo, if ya gotta do some kind of lovely substance, ukuleles are the legal and fun way to go!

CountryMouse

I know exactly what you mean, I too am under the spell of these things. I am driving Mrs K mad with all the practising, although secretly I think she likes it and even had a go. It is certainly a bit quieter than a Les Paul and a Marshall.
This all started for me a few weeks ago when I got the Kala KA- FMS, this was quickly followed up with a Kala Mango Soprano, and then a Mainland Mahogany Concert Gloss which I love, now I am lusting for a tenor, like you I am asking where is this going to stop.
Mrs K latest was why don't we go on holiday to Hawaii ( She knows I have a lot of Airmiles to use) and I could buy another Ukulele there? Sounds good, she gets a holiday I get another Ukulele . and really we'll both have a great time I'm sure.!!:)

I used to be into the really dangerous stuff. Guitars, basses, drums, huge amps, you name it. My money vanished, my house filled up with gear that was beyond my monetary means and my musical ability, and my dealer constantly tried to get me hooked on new junk. My bedroom was blocked by a teetering monolith made up of speaker cabinets, complicated recording equipment, and pedals, and my couch was obscured by an example of nearly every guitar ever manufactured in the last forty years, so I had to sleep in an alley, under a blanket made out of taped-together guitar string packets. This was my life until I discovered the ukulele.
Now I'm addicted to much smaller instruments, which come out less expensive and require less additional crap in order to get a satisfactory sound. I can toss a couple on my couch or my bed and still have room to pass out in a pool of my own vomit, and when I'm stuck in a situation where I can't uke, I wear a patch made of solid koa. While I'm still an addict, my habit is far less destructive since I switched to the lighter stuff, and my family is proud that I've found a way to get my fix without having my musical instrument collection finding its way into the bathroom.

you haven't got a uke in the Bathroom?????

Why Not?:)

I have, I really have, in fact I have a Uke in two bathrooms...

Beats whistling when on the you know what...;)

I used to be into the really dangerous stuff. Guitars, basses, drums, huge amps, you name it. My money vanished, my house filled up with gear that was beyond my monetary means and my musical ability, and my dealer constantly tried to get me hooked on new junk. My bedroom was blocked by a teetering monolith made up of speaker cabinets, complicated recording equipment, and pedals, and my couch was obscured by an example of nearly every guitar ever manufactured in the last forty years, so I had to sleep in an alley, under a blanket made out of taped-together guitar string packets. This was my life until I discovered the ukulele.
Now I'm addicted to much smaller instruments, which come out less expensive and require less additional crap in order to get a satisfactory sound. I can toss a couple on my couch or my bed and still have room to pass out in a pool of my own vomit, and when I'm stuck in a situation where I can't uke, I wear a patch made of solid koa. While I'm still an addict, my habit is far less destructive since I switched to the lighter stuff, and my family is proud that I've found a way to get my fix without having my musical instrument collection finding its way into the bathroom.
LOL! That was great.

I have, I really have, in fact I have a Uke in two bathrooms...

Beats whistling when on the you know what...;)
Ew, lol.

Top Bottom