the koaloha sound

haolejohn

Reaction score
I have heard and I am sure many of you have heard how loud koalohas can be. I was sitting in my classroom Friday playing for my kids. It wasn't amplified just me finger picking and strumming. Anyways while I'm playing a third grader comes in with a note that tells me to keep playing b/c it was soothing. This student was a good 50 yards away or 10 classrooms and 2 bathrooms. I was amazed that they could hear me. How is that for projectiin? It was my concert too.

I agree John, I have had a couple of other ukes but my KoAlohas are by far the loudest.

Totally.
My Kolaoha longneck soprano is every bit as loud as my Mainland mahogany concert, which I think is quite loud.

Totally.
My Kolaoha longneck soprano is every bit as loud as my Mainland mahogany concert, which I think is quite loud.

I've got one of their super sopranos too (which still only has about as many frets as a current generation Kamaka soprano...b/c the regular KoAloha soprano has very few frets) And the KoAloha super soprano is definitely loud. I have KoAloha flouracarbons on it, and it is a bit louder than my Kamaka concert (strung with Worth clears), well louder than my Applause Tenor strung with Aquilas, and if we're talking about raw body volume, the KoAloha is even louder than my acoustic bass guitar (unamplified).

I wonder how they do it. Maybe it has a little to do with the slightly higher action out of the box than the other makers (somewhat offset by jumbo frets)?

does it have anything to do with the special soundhole? didnt they design that to make it louder? i'm not sure

My KoAloha tenor is louder than one of my full-size acoustic guitars! And it sounds absolutely wonderful with the stock strings.

My KoAloha tenor is louder than one of my full-size acoustic guitars! And it sounds absolutely wonderful with the stock strings.

i love the koaloha strings (stock). While visiting the factory this summer I was told that the koaloha strings were similiar to worth clears and that much research went into making those strings. I do know that the volume has something to do with the soundhole as well as the top. Papa Koaloha also shared with me his thinking behind the sound of his ukes and I agree with him but I don't want to get the thread locked:)

I am curious as too how far away these students were. Our school has a back hallway and I am in the last classroom on the left. These third graders were in the 2nd classroom on the left. It is a long way away. i didn't realize they could hear me all the way down there. Another incident was during car dismissal outside I was in the front of the car line holding the line in place and our PE coach was at the other end 10 cars long and he heard me playing. These Koalohas are just loud. My concert is really opening up.

I wonder what the difference is between KoAloha strings and Worth Clears. If I had any clears laying around I'd do a comparison vid. Figures that the strings I like the best are the hardest to find. :p

I wonder what the difference is between KoAloha strings and Worth Clears. If I had any clears laying around I'd do a comparison vid. Figures that the strings I like the best are the hardest to find. :p

I agree. You know they might be the same strings. Kinda like Labella and kala reds. Same strings just different company. I know that my next string purchase will be some worths.

When I was at the factory last week, they were selling the Worth Clears at the front counter. Also Paul had told me earlier that the Worth clears were the strings to use. On the bottom of one of the packages in the case that I could see, it said endorsed by KoAloha 'Ukulele as I remember.

Totally.

I'll do a comparison vid between a cedar Mainland and a KoAloha.

Just as soon as someone Deaches me a KoAloha:D:smileybounce:

I think it's the unibrace. Someone who has bought one of their budget line (that still have the unibrace) should let us know if they are loud, too. But if there's nothing there but the unibrace, that's a freely vibrating top.

I think of my Koaloha as my little banjo, it's loud and "poppy" which means it gives up all its tone with little effort, like a banjo. But it can get noisy if it's overplayed.

In contrast, my Kanilea sounds quiet, but it can get loud if I lean on it. The sound keeps coming. The Kanilea seems more heavily built, thicker wood, more bracing.

My Koaloha seems perfect for strumming, each brush of the strings gives a nice, even tone, you can hear individual strings well, and the tone has excellent character.

I switched to nylon strings, a little mellower than flourocarbon.

Top Bottom