Making a kid smile

haolejohn

Reaction score
I got a student in my class that has really taken off with his uke skills. He bought a makala dolphin and he is really shinning. Anyways we were working on a collab together during dismissal and I decided to hand him my sceptre. There was another teacher in my room and she spit her coffee out laughing because the look on his face was so funny. He sat down and began to play like he was jake (in effort). I let him play for about 15 minutes before I finally tookit away from him. It was truly one of the greatest moments of my teaching career. Anyone else have a similiar tale about uking with a child?

That is just to cool. There is nothing that warms the heart more than children discovering music. Doug

So true. sometimes it is fun letting them play the expensive ukes. I think most adults don't trust kids yet we expect them to behave like adults. The best part is when you tell them to lead and you will follow them. It is great fun.

So true. sometimes it is fun letting them play the expensive ukes. I think most adults don't trust kids yet we expect them to behave like adults. The best part is when you tell them to lead and you will follow them. It is great fun.
That's a great story!

I know what you mean about the adult stuff. The person who taught me guitar for a bit when I was 13 called me an idiot for not practicing. Guess what I did? I quit. Nice, eh?

I love hearing your stories about kids and music. :)

My 14 year old son is quite the guitar prodigy. He has a Strat because he's a total SRV/Hendrix/Clapton/Buddy Guy fan (!) but he also loves to play singer-songwriter stuff on the acoustic like Wilco, Ryan Adams, Dylan, Beatles. He has my permission to play anything I have at any time without asking. I trust him completely.

My 10 year old son OTOH never bonded with the guitar like he is right now with the uke.

Pretty cool John! I can see that sceptre being a kid's dream uke for a kid that's obviously into them like that. Must have made his day!

Top Bottom