I'm gonna pass out! Jake likes my ukulele!!!!!

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
I just got home from Jake Shimabukuro's concert in Glendora at Citrus College. First things first, the show was amazing. What he did with "Bohemian Rhapsody" was out of this world!!! I cannot wait until that is recorded, as it truly was outstanding. He took one of my favorite songs of all time and made it even better.

I dragged my spouse, who insisted on bringing a book and the dreaded Blackberry along. I'm pleased to note that the final verdict was, "Well, now I can say I have seen everything. I saw 'Bohemian Rhapsody' on a ukulele. It may not be music I would choose to listen to, but I have to admit, the man is a master." That is HUGE improvement over the snarky comments on the way to the show. I was trying to decide what shirt to wear -- UU or my new Ukulele Hero. I opted for Ukulele Hero since that is after all what Jake is, my ukulele hero. I was told that I was like a Trekkie trying to decide whether to dress as Spock or Kirk for the convention. Then I was told that we were a bunch of ukulaliens. So, as you can see, Jake can work miracles.

After the show, we waited outside and were able to get his autograph. I posed for a picture and before we took it, I asked if "Pele," my Kamaka tenor could be in the photo too. "Sure," Jake said. He then took her from me, and said, "wow, I've never seen one with this type of a satin finish." I was blushing and muttered something about how I wished that it had a glossy finish, and then he actually strummed it, and said it has "a beautiful tone." I just about died. I feel as though my ukulele has now been "blessed" by the oracle, the master. :love:

Here are a couple of pictures, one of me looking like a dork with Jake and my uke. The other two are of Jake holding, then playing my uke. I can die happy now.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

P.S. For a preview video of Jake playing Bohemian Rhapsody, go here: http://www.theadventurelife.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/jakebohemianrhapsody.mov

oh man, thats awesome!!! congrats on having an, apparently, awesome uke!!

That is really awesome! Congrats on a great time.

Wow, that's awesome! :D

Someone posted the other day about selling some tickets below cost and I told my husband I was interested and he finally gave in and said he'd go if I got them. But the person never got back to me about the tickets. :( If we'd gone, I'm sure my husband would have had the same reaction as your spouse.

Cool pics, and your Pele is gorgeous. :)

I would've rocked my UU shirt, but then again, I don't have a Uke Hero one.

I don't have quicktime installed to watch the version you linked, but here's one I found on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F15WLG2Hbbw

I can't help but think that maybe he was a bit inspired by Edgar Cruz's version of the piece on classical guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHSmjrjpoaI

That is so cool wicked one. That look on your face says it all.

Also it's good that your spouse got to see what a 'ukulele can sound like when in the hands of a Master, worked on better half the same way.

Awesome! :) Beautiful uke too by the way! Next thing you know you'll suddenly be able to strum a thousand strums per minute and you'll wake up knowing how to play Bach on the ukulele!

Now I'm super bummed that I missed him when he was in town! Great story, pretty uke.

Top Bottom