Banjo Picker tries the Uke

rb4player

Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm a 30+ year bluegrass banjo player trying the ukulele for the first time. I have spent a lot of time around vintage banjos and value quality instruments. Starting out with a tenor Kanile'a instrument. I spend a lot of time on my boat during the summer on northern Lake Michigan, and wanted something a little less brash than the banjo to keep aboard. I'm used to 4-string closed chords and enjoy the rhythm aspects of the uke. Hope to learn a bunch here. Have been lurking and viewing instructional stuff prior to joining.

Welcome to UU! Playing uke on a boat... that sounds great :) Be sure to ask if there's anything you need help with.

Welcome, Jim.

I play a bit of bluegrass mandolin, and a bit of Irish tenor banjo. Uke is certainly a nice contrast to those. Have fun.

Welcome!

Allow me to hijack your thread! :)

I've been wanting to learn some bluegrass stuff on my uke, any (simple) song suggestions?

I've got a dobro player and a pennywhistler that I'd like to make a short set with, so I reckon I could play rhythm parts for a nice little trio.

Welcome!

Allow me to hijack your thread! :)

I've been wanting to learn some bluegrass stuff on my uke, any (simple) song suggestions?

I've got a dobro player and a pennywhistler that I'd like to make a short set with, so I reckon I could play rhythm parts for a nice little trio.

Check out Ken Middletons arrangements!

Thanks!

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I agree that Ken Midddleton's stuff on Youtube has a lot of BG content. I'm probably more interested in non-BG things for the Uke as I get started.

Greetings, Jim! I've been trying to play this darn banjo for months now...

Welcome to UU, I was supposed to have a banjo myself, but its going to take a little longer for the money to come through. If you ever want a strange hybrid of uke and banjo, you should check out a banjolele, its basically tuned and pitched as a uke but with a banjo build.

Welcome to UU, I was supposed to have a banjo myself, but its going to take a little longer for the money to come through. If you ever want a strange hybrid of uke and banjo, you should check out a banjolele, its basically tuned and pitched as a uke but with a banjo build.

Welcome Jim, I bet you would love the banjolele. Who knows you might be the next George Formby. It was said that when all of Ukuladium was in their greatest need Formby would return.

Top Bottom