Classify, review, critique, and compliment my new Uke! (photos)

mwilliams

Reaction score
Aloha!

I picked up my first Ukulele a few days ago! I just moved to Hawaii, and if you read my introduction thread, you've heard most of this, but I'll give a quick re-cap and jump to the photos!

I purchased this Ukulele for $80. It has no branding on it at all. My assumption is that it's a standard Chinese Ukulele, but not a super cheap Waikiki Uke. The owner of the store played it for me along side a Kala Concert which was $10 or so more. He played softly, loudly, various chord progressions, and strumming styles and I ended up really liking this model over the Kala! It has more wood to it so there's some more heft and the neck is a little wider which I think has made it easier for my larger hands.

Can anyone identify the make or model? And am I correct that it's a Concert? Anyway, I'd love to hear from some seasoned Ukuleleists on my purchase. I'd love to hear any pros, cons, adjustments, maintenance/care tips or just general comments.

So here we go with the photos!

4126696993_abb127212c_b.jpg

4127467520_594031e3ef_b.jpg

4126696067_53e86542a3_b.jpg

4126695725_510e6f2a39_b.jpg

The rest of the photos below....

That looks like someone's home-made uke. I am not wild about how the strings seem to go right through the top of the ukulele just behind the bridge. The over-all workmanship looks pretty good, though. I do like the body shape and the finish looks pretty nice. The bridge has screws that are most likely going into a bridge-plate on the underside. The strings might actually be going through that bridge-plate as well.

There appears to be a crack on the top unless it is just a seam. It is under the bridge and appears to run above and below it. It might just look like a crack and actually be a seam, but it looks like a crack to me. If it is a crack, you could feel it if you run your fingertips across it.

That looks like someone's home-made uke. I am not wild about how the strings seem to go right through the top of the ukulele just behind the bridge. The over-all workmanship looks pretty good, though. I do like the body shape and the finish looks pretty nice. The bridge has screws that are most likely going into a bridge-plate on the underside. The strings might actually be going through that bridge-plate as well.

There appears to be a crack on the top unless it is just a seam. It is under the bridge and appears to run above and below it. It might just look like a crack and actually be a seam, but it looks like a crack to me. If it is a crack, you could feel it if you run your fingertips across it.

Thanks for the observations! That is a seam on the top, it's perfectly smooth when you run your fingers over it and I gave it a closer inspections and that's all it appears to be.

I never concluded that it could be home made. That's actually a pretty cool though. I have looked at some kit Ukes before. The gentleman in the store didn't quite know where it originated but he was all smiles when he played it and at first wasn't going to recommend it but the longer he played it, the more he thought it would fit me better.

Thanks again!

Hey, if you like the sound and feel better, then you'll definitely enjoy this uke. The main thing that I'm concerned about is the way the strings go through the body. I haven't seen a string-through-body uke before. It'll probably be a bit difficult to switch out the strings when you need to. It'll probably involve putting the string in through the whole in the top, pulling the end out the soundhole, tying the knot that way, then pulling it back tight from the bridge end.

The strings on it are Aquila Nygluts, which may be one factor in why you liked them over the Kala which probably had GHS strings on it.

Geared tuners are always good since they're more accurate in tuning, even if they aren't the more expensive geared tuners.

I'm actually not sure if it's a soprano or a concert. But I think that the dot on the 13th fret is a bit unorthodox.

Congrats on your purchase! And now that you're on Oahu, you should visit Easy Music Center and check out their selection. They have pretty good prices.

I think that the dot on the 13th fret is a bit unorthodox.

Good observation, Jon. I did not notice, but, yeah, that is unorthodox. It does lend credence to the idea that it might be a home-made uke. I doubt a manufacturer would have made that mistake.

Hey, if you like the sound and feel better, then you'll definitely enjoy this uke. The main thing that I'm concerned about is the way the strings go through the body. I haven't seen a string-through-body uke before. It'll probably be a bit difficult to switch out the strings when you need to. It'll probably involve putting the string in through the whole in the top, pulling the end out the soundhole, tying the knot that way, then pulling it back tight from the bridge end.

The strings on it are Aquila Nygluts, which may be one factor in why you liked them over the Kala which probably had GHS strings on it.

Geared tuners are always good since they're more accurate in tuning, even if they aren't the more expensive geared tuners.

I'm actually not sure if it's a soprano or a concert. But I think that the dot on the 13th fret is a bit unorthodox.

Congrats on your purchase! And now that you're on Oahu, you should visit Easy Music Center and check out their selection. They have pretty good prices.

I think this Uke and the Kala shared the same strings (they were both the same color anyway, no black strings).

But thanks for the input! I'd like to think my Uke has a little more uniqueness and personality now. :)

Sometimes a bargain ukulele turns out to be your favorite stand by or grab-n-go instrument. It seems to be pretty solid. Hope you enjoy it!
Ernest

Looks pretty cool. If you like it...that's the only thing that matters. It looks like it could be a concert. The only way to know for sure is to measure from the nut to the saddle. A soprano will be about 13 1/2 to 14 inches...a concert will be about 15 inches. Congrats on the new uke! Play the heck outta that thing. :shaka:

Looks pretty cool. If you like it...that's the only thing that matters. It looks like it could be a concert. The only way to know for sure is to measure from the nut to the saddle. A soprano will be about 13 1/2 to 14 inches...a concert will be about 15 inches. Congrats on the new uke! Play the heck outta that thing. :shaka:

Yeah, I definitely love it and I think I'll be holding onto this one forever :)

Speaking of which, time to go play!

Top Bottom