Ukulele 100-150€, questions

Ukeger

Reaction score
So, i thought of buying a new ukulele for christmas. I play the uke for 1 month now and my Stagg UC70-S gets out of tune very often and the sound could be better.
I searched the forums and found out that many ppl. prefer mainland ukuleles (http://www.mainlandukes.com/). My question is which one should i take?
Soprano or Tenor? Whats the big difference? And do they import the ukes to Germany? Would be awesome if someone could explain it and tell me which one i should buy, because i have no clue

thanks

You also have Brueko in Stuttgart (?), apparently very decent ukes for decent prices. Get the size you like, fits your hands and the sound of which appeals to you.

There are a few decent uke shops in Europe, try the search function (ukulele store europe?) or wait for the right people to come by and tell you which thread it is ;)

A Mainland could be nice, or wait until musicguymic has an international free shipping offer, or just don't wait but get one there. See the "beginner uke" threads to check what brands are reliable.

P.S. fasten the screws on your Stagg's tuners and chances are it will stay in tune better...

Mainland would be good - they also make Concert scale which I really like - (kinda like soprano spacing, but longer length neck and only marginally larger body - still looks like a dinky uke, but concert neck is more practical)

Also - yes - look at Bruko (or Brueko) as they are in your homeland - I havent played one but based on reviews and desire for me to get a cheap, handmade all solid soprano, I have one on the way to me as I type!

From what I understand - Bruko has a sharper snappier sound - Mainlands are mellow - both are a great step up from what you have now.

dont let the strings put you off - they dont cost much - you need to pick based on the instrument!

I will be changing my Bruko strings (when it arrives) to Worths

Okay, i made up my mind, here are my two choices:

1. http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=11&categoryId=3 (125€)
or
2. http://www.brueko.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p18_Brueko-Nr--6-Sopran-Ukulele.html (140€)

I watched a lot of youtube videos etc and the two ukes aren't that different all in all. Both are a great improvement. But the Brueko seems to have cheaper strings and because I dont know how to set up new ones I would pick the mainland. what do you say? :

Changing strings is easy, there are several demo videos here at UU and on utube showing how, so I wouldn't let the strings be your deciding factor. It's probably the quickest easiest way to change the sound/feel of a uke.

Brueko sets it up with either Nylon strings or Carbon strings, can anybody explain the difference? Are these good strings?
I tend to choose the mainland, it looks amazing with the gloss, whereas the Brueko has this handmade look.
Also the Brueko is around 50€ cheaper, because the mainland has to be shipped to Germany.
hard decision :/

or wait until musicguymic has an international free shipping offer,

Is that a joke or does that actually happen sometimes? If so, any idea what time of year? I could see myself buying some stuff if there was free shipping, quite a lot of stuff actually lol.

Ian.

Top Bottom