Small, Mellow, Full Sounding Uke

Melissa82

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
So say I like the full, mellow sound of a guitar and have small hands. What would be a good uke to get that would be something like this? I have an Ohana CK-25 (concert) now but UAS is kicking in and would really like to get a new uke eventually. I want tenor or 6 string but I have a hard enough time with the frets on a concert. Any suggestions?

A concert Fluke, maybe? Flukes have a lovely, mellow sound, that's significantly fuller than the sound of a Flea.

But no uke sounds like a guitar. Maybe you actually want a 3/4 size guitar?

A concert Fluke, maybe? Flukes have a lovely, mellow sound, that's significantly fuller than the sound of a Flea.

But no uke sounds like a guitar. Maybe you actually want a 3/4 size guitar?
I was thinking that but I really want to stick to the uke fingering and chords as not to complicate it more for myself.

Have you tried putting a low-g string on? It's an extremely affordable way of getting a more guitar-like sound out of even small ukes. I put them on most all of my sopranos.

Small, Mellow, Full is kind of a you pick two situation...

Have you ever tried a baritone? Not really much bigger than a tenor.
I've only tried a concert and it's what I have. Unfortunately, no one sells uke's in my area so I can't go try any out. :(

Have you tried putting a low-g string on? It's an extremely affordable way of getting a more guitar-like sound out of even small ukes. I put them on most all of my sopranos.
I thought of that too. Does that change anything or can I just use the same chords?

I thought of that too. Does that change anything or can I just use the same chords?

Same chording as the usual re-entrant tuning of the higher g. Although you'll find that a low-g strung uke doesn't always work with songs you played on your other uke. It changes the character, or tone, of a song.

But it can also help a song sound better too. Depends on the song.

You can use the same chords, but it does affect the "character" of the chords - try a low G on your current uke, and you'll quickly see what I mean.

You can use the same chords.

I know it's a long drive but maybe you should find an excuse to get to Atlanta and visit Uke Republic.

You can use the same chords, but it does affect the "character" of the chords - try a low G on your current uke, and you'll quickly see what I mean.
I tried it and it sounds horrible I think only cuz I don't have the proper string for it, lol.

You can use the same chords.

I know it's a long drive but maybe you should find an excuse to get to Atlanta and visit Uke Republic.
I wish I could go there but I don't have a way. :(

I tried it and it sounds horrible I think only cuz I don't have the proper string for it, lol.

I wish I could go there but I don't have a way. :(

Spend 7-10 bucks and get a proper set of low Gs, and then you'll know for sure. But take some time to experiment with it - it will definitely cause you to make some adjustments in how you play certain songs.

I tried it, and determined it's not for me. But there are plenty of ukers who sound freaking GREAT using low G tuning.

Spend 7-10 bucks and get a proper set of low Gs, and then you'll know for sure. But take some time to experiment with it - it will definitely cause you to make some adjustments in how you play certain songs.

I tried it, and determined it's not for me. But there are plenty of ukers who sound freaking GREAT using low G tuning.
Well, I'm a super beginner and don't even know how to change strings or play a complete song properly, lol. Maybe I should wait a bit?

changing strings is pretty easy. there's a ukeminutes on how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Saxrv0y_XYI

It really sounds to me like you want a low g concert uke. MGM will sell and ship you a set, and it really only take a little while to change them. They come labeled and in order so you can't mess them up.

you want a sweet mellow sound, and suspect you have UAS??

Can't believe that nobody has mentioned the one that starts with "M" and ends in "ainland"..

you want a sweet mellow sound, and suspect you have UAS??

Can't believe that nobody has mentioned the one that starts with "M" and ends in "ainland"..
Actually, I already have been thinking of getting a Mainland. Not sure if I want a soprano or tenor.

oh, also, I'd suggest going with worth strings, they're all fluorocarbon, otherwise a low g set will come with a wound string. The unwound is going to be more what you're used to from your current set up.

If you want a full, mellow sound you might call Mike up and ask him to play the Mahogany and Mango tenors for you. Have a conversation with him, tell him what you want and he'll hook you up with a nice one.

And there isn't a nicer person on the planet.

Top Bottom