MGM is not a myth...he is reals!

Amy

Reaction score
And reals nice, too. I posted ages ago about my Oahu trip, and I'd hoped to visit Mike while I was there. My friends took me to Kaneohe [oh, my god, such a beautiful place!!] to visit Mike's shop. Good thing they brought knitting, because I was in for more than an hour. Here's why:

4106997108_8cdec1fa40.jpg

One-of-a-kind shimmery purple Pineapple Sunday. Mike told me who this was made for, but of course I'm gapping it now.

I grabbed this off the wall next:
4106998146_a12c9b2b7d.jpg

and fell in love. Who wouldn't love a Ko'olau tenor? Esp after just having driven over the Ko'olau mountains for the first time!

But it was too rich for my blood, so I channeled Ukulelezo and thought: Pono tenor! Did Mike have any?

4106998674_25a5e0380f.jpg

He did. Strung low G.

4106999128_41c96b112b.jpg

Look at that sexy ebony back.

Yes, I bought it, for a great price. Mike set it up with humidifiers and a great case and I was on my way.

It sounds so deep and yummy, and nothing like my other ukes, which was pretty much the point. It's also a huge stretch for my hands, but already I'm getting a little better with each practice session. This one will be getting a strap button installed soon.

Just wanted to send a Canadian shoutout to Mike -- Mahalo!

i've always wondered about that pineapple sunday...in the videos always thought it looked kinda purple

MGM is great to visit. He always has time to chat even though his employees are busting their butts!:)

i've always wondered about that pineapple sunday...in the videos always thought it looked kinda purple

MGM said it was for a photo shoot with Brittni Paiva but the location was outside and the natural koa color wasn't showing up well so they painted it purple. One of a kind and MGM has it!

Last edited:
Congrats on your trip to Hawai'i and on getting a new ukulele. Oh and yes MGM and the crew are the greatest!

Naw! I still believe MGM is a mythical deity. Now I'll have to make a pilgramige to his shop to see where my uke came from.:p
Ernest

Top Bottom