PDA

View Full Version : Who's traveling with their uke this holiday?

NatalieS
11-23-2009, 03:14 PM
I AM! Well... maybe. I'm flying to see my brother for 4 days and am seriously considering taking my soprano with me. The only problem is, I'm trying to pack light and the uke would most definitely count as one of my two carry-ons. The last time I visited him, I didn't take my uke and missed it every day. That was a 6-day trip. This one isn't so long but eek, can I get along without it??

Anyone else taking their uke on an adventure this holiday?

haolejohn
11-23-2009, 03:25 PM
I AM! Well... maybe. I'm flying to see my brother for 4 days and am seriously considering taking my soprano with me. The only problem is, I'm trying to pack light and the uke would most definitely count as one of my two carry-ons. The last time I visited him, I didn't take my uke and missed it every day. That was a 6-day trip. This one isn't so long but eek, can I get along without it??

Anyone else taking their uke on an adventure this holiday?

Natalie, I have never had a uke count as a carry on.

KC8AFW
11-23-2009, 03:36 PM
If this is a re-occurring trip, then maybe you should buy your brother a uke...ship it to him...then you could spend time "showing him how to play". ;)

UKISOCIETY
11-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Of course! The big question: which one?

itsme
11-23-2009, 03:51 PM
I AM! Well... maybe. I'm flying to see my brother for 4 days and am seriously considering taking my soprano with me. The only problem is, I'm trying to pack light and the uke would most definitely count as one of my two carry-ons.
Maybe stuff your purse into your other carry-on and call your soprano gig bag an avante garde styled purse?

provines
11-23-2009, 03:52 PM
I carry my Kala travel uke everytime I travel and I travel a lot. It is the one that is only 1.5" thick. It has such a low profile that I carry it in my same hand as my notebook pc case and they never question it. I always place it at my feet as I'm afraid some bozo will set their 80 lb suitcase on it in the overhead rack. It is nice to practice in the hotel room after a long day.

iamdanielle
11-23-2009, 04:02 PM
I never travel without my uke.. I think I would go through withdrawal. Luckily I usually travel with my boyfriend and he usually only has one bag, so he can carry the uke as his second carry-on. He's a keeper. ;)

wickedwahine11
11-23-2009, 04:09 PM
I never take a trip without my ukulele. I can't imagine going somewhere without it as this point -- perhaps internationally since those restrictions are a lot tighter for carryons. But anywhere in the US is no problem, especially if you have a soprano. I've taken my tenor through airports all across the country (NY, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, LA, Honolulu, San Francisco, etc.) and never once had a problem.

If you have a shoulder strap on your case it is even easier. I always sling my case over my left shoulder, face the gate agent with that shoulder turned away and usually they think it is a purse strap. If you have a purse/backpack/put it on the same shoulder if possible and walk right on by. I think a lot of it is in the attitude...if you act nervous, you get scrutinized more. Act like there isn't a problem, and there usually isn't one.

Have fun and have a safe, uke happy trip!

rogue_wave
11-23-2009, 04:17 PM
I am definitely packing a ukulele. We'll be riding the rails- taking the Amtrak Auto train from Virginia to Florida, so technically, if I can fit it in my car, it can be brought on board. Would love to be able to jam in the lounge car, but imagine that is forbidden...

Anyone else on the 4pm Wednesday train by any chance?

haole
11-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Every time I leave the state, my Flea comes with me. Never had an issue with bringing a uke on a plane! Most airlines will in fact let you bring two carry-ons and a uke. If they give you a hard time, stuff the uke (properly protected) into another bag. If I'm just carrying too much crap, I just squeeze it into my Flea's gig bag.

Might bring my KoAloha with me to Maine for Thanksgiving this year, in case I jam with guitar-playing relatives.

bt93
11-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Bringing my mainland with me to NYC...there's a lot of music stores who do trade ins

nikolo727
11-23-2009, 04:55 PM
this kid right here. :D.

im just going to my grandmas in the city for a day, but i bring my uke everywhere, even to the store. (walmart hates me)

hosenfeferdave
11-23-2009, 05:18 PM
I am currently traveling with my Travel Tenor. It fits in my backpack. Last time I traveled, I saw 4 other folks in the airport with their ukes. BTW, No one can recognize the songs I play, but thats ok with me;)

mds725
11-23-2009, 06:30 PM
I just got a Kala travel soprano from MGM to take with me on a 6-day trip I'm taking in late December. I usually bring two carryons and don't check anything. I'm hoping the travel uke won't change that.

blackunicorn
11-23-2009, 08:44 PM
I'm road-tripping with mine this year (and returning with my old neglected acoustic guitar, too, but nevermind that)

the TSA website says they'll let one instrument, a carry-on bag, and one "personal item" (purse?) through, but airlines might have different policies.

Pippin
11-23-2009, 09:12 PM
I am headed a short distance to my parents' home, but I will be bringing at least two ukuleles with me. :)

micromue
11-23-2009, 11:32 PM
I am currently traveling with my flea in japan. Makes my stay even more comfortable.

dnewton2
11-24-2009, 01:27 AM
I think I always take a uke with me on my tavels. Which one ussually depends on mode of travel. For the holidays (car travel) I might bring two so others can play one if they want. But for sure bringing my Moore Bettah!!

perep
11-24-2009, 02:02 AM
Travel without my uke? What a silly question. I am in Fl with mine from Oregon, on Disney cruise played for 3-5 hours every day on back upper deck starting at 5AM. Alaska cruise last May the same, seems like a cruise without a uke is like ice cream without the cream. Got my koa Pono concert this trip & tripping with it. NEVER a problem on planes with my gig bag above my head- keep on strummin

spots
11-24-2009, 02:10 AM
Yup.

I usually bring some type of instrument with me when I travel.

Thumper
11-24-2009, 02:32 AM
I always travel with a uke. I just stuff it in my carry-on bag, and put my less crucial stuff in my checked baggage if I've got any.

pulelehua
11-24-2009, 05:55 AM
I'm actually travelling these holidays to get to my ukulele! It's in California. I'm in England. So, after 6,000 miles, we will be together at last...

leftovermagic84
11-24-2009, 06:08 AM
I bring it with me all over the place. I was originally looking into a kala travel uke, but ended up going with a fluke. My rational is the durability gained from the fluke is more valuable to me in all my clumsiness than the thin profile of the kala.

Rod
11-24-2009, 06:10 AM
My family and I will be headed down to South Padre Island TX for the Thanksgiving holiday. And of course my Kamaka tenor, "Margarita" will be coming with!

mikeeG7th
11-24-2009, 06:15 AM
I'm on a bus right now from NY going to DC for d holiday. JAmming with friends. I have my Risa uke and vox amplug. Now I can play and stay awake in d bus 

Artista
11-24-2009, 06:57 AM
But my ukulele goes with me in the car wherever i go. Great way to spend the time waiting at a red light, train stop etc etc.

koa
11-24-2009, 07:15 AM
Uncased, protected by clothing the KoAlana fits nicely into a legal size carry on bag. So it travels everywhere with me. Except for snowboard trips, have not checked luggage for the past couple years. Really cuts down on the checkin, travel hassles of flying. Just need to compromise on your clothing choice and do a bit of sink washing. If I drive to family or friends for the holidays the KoAloha or King gets to come along.

gnordenstam
11-24-2009, 08:38 AM
My Lanikai LU-21 will be traveling by car with me this Thanksgiving weekend. Hope to sit in a rocker on the front porch, a glass of scotch next to me, the dogs at my feet, and the uke in my hands.
--G

bbycrts
11-24-2009, 11:31 AM
The big reason I have a soprano is because 1) it fits in my desk drawer at work and 2) takes up very little room when I travel. Of course you have to take it with you!

d-mace
11-24-2009, 11:44 AM
I brought my mainland with us to Utah. It's cold here.

Big_e
11-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Don't know if I'll take any ukulele for the holidays. There's always rowdy little kids at my sisters house and most adults end up rolling drunk. I don't even want to put my worse beater uke in harms way. My worse beater (Lanikai LU-11) uke is not a bad uke atall!:o
Ernest

PS: I can just see it now, "Aww dude! Was that your uke I just sat on?" or "Aww man! I was just playing it and this string broke!"

NatalieS
11-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Haha, I love reading all your stories / advice / tips. Alas, I didn't take my soprano with me on my trip. I wish I'd had room for it but I had to travel light and just managed to squeeze everything into my two bags. I missed my uke but managed to sneak into a guitar shop and strum a bit on one of their sopranos. It gave me a temporary fix. :D

:music:

nohandles
11-28-2009, 11:27 AM
I haven't left the house without the favorite Uke, guitar and bass for the last 6 years. Love to play Christmas music on them.
Doug

phanzo
11-28-2009, 11:38 AM
I'll be taking my uke everywhere with me this holiday season. Mostly to my brothers house (which is 40 minutes away, not exactly "traveling" but I will certainly be taking it). I like bringing it to work with me when my boss isnt here.

Also, ever since watching Victoria do it, I tend to play a lot while driving. Probably not the best idea for driving in Phoenix traffic but it's just so darn fun :rolleyes:

Waterguy
11-28-2009, 01:36 PM
I only travel from one town to the next for Thanksgiving, but I firmly believe in owning a travel/beater uke. Mine is concert scale natural Flea that I bought used. Like those old Timex watches, it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I have no problem letting the kiddies handle it because Fleas are just so durable.