Who's traveling with their uke this holiday?

NatalieS

Reaction score
I AM! Well... maybe. I'm flying to see my brother for 4 days and am seriously considering taking my soprano with me. The only problem is, I'm trying to pack light and the uke would most definitely count as one of my two carry-ons. The last time I visited him, I didn't take my uke and missed it every day. That was a 6-day trip. This one isn't so long but eek, can I get along without it??

Anyone else taking their uke on an adventure this holiday?

I AM! Well... maybe. I'm flying to see my brother for 4 days and am seriously considering taking my soprano with me. The only problem is, I'm trying to pack light and the uke would most definitely count as one of my two carry-ons. The last time I visited him, I didn't take my uke and missed it every day. That was a 6-day trip. This one isn't so long but eek, can I get along without it??

Anyone else taking their uke on an adventure this holiday?

Natalie, I have never had a uke count as a carry on.

If this is a re-occurring trip, then maybe you should buy your brother a uke...ship it to him...then you could spend time "showing him how to play". ;)

I AM! Well... maybe. I'm flying to see my brother for 4 days and am seriously considering taking my soprano with me. The only problem is, I'm trying to pack light and the uke would most definitely count as one of my two carry-ons.
Maybe stuff your purse into your other carry-on and call your soprano gig bag an avante garde styled purse?

Travel Uke

I carry my Kala travel uke everytime I travel and I travel a lot. It is the one that is only 1.5" thick. It has such a low profile that I carry it in my same hand as my notebook pc case and they never question it. I always place it at my feet as I'm afraid some bozo will set their 80 lb suitcase on it in the overhead rack. It is nice to practice in the hotel room after a long day.

I never travel without my uke.. I think I would go through withdrawal. Luckily I usually travel with my boyfriend and he usually only has one bag, so he can carry the uke as his second carry-on. He's a keeper. ;)

I never take a trip without my ukulele. I can't imagine going somewhere without it as this point -- perhaps internationally since those restrictions are a lot tighter for carryons. But anywhere in the US is no problem, especially if you have a soprano. I've taken my tenor through airports all across the country (NY, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, LA, Honolulu, San Francisco, etc.) and never once had a problem.

If you have a shoulder strap on your case it is even easier. I always sling my case over my left shoulder, face the gate agent with that shoulder turned away and usually they think it is a purse strap. If you have a purse/backpack/put it on the same shoulder if possible and walk right on by. I think a lot of it is in the attitude...if you act nervous, you get scrutinized more. Act like there isn't a problem, and there usually isn't one.

Have fun and have a safe, uke happy trip!

I am definitely packing a ukulele. We'll be riding the rails- taking the Amtrak Auto train from Virginia to Florida, so technically, if I can fit it in my car, it can be brought on board. Would love to be able to jam in the lounge car, but imagine that is forbidden...

Anyone else on the 4pm Wednesday train by any chance?

Every time I leave the state, my Flea comes with me. Never had an issue with bringing a uke on a plane! Most airlines will in fact let you bring two carry-ons and a uke. If they give you a hard time, stuff the uke (properly protected) into another bag. If I'm just carrying too much crap, I just squeeze it into my Flea's gig bag.

Might bring my KoAloha with me to Maine for Thanksgiving this year, in case I jam with guitar-playing relatives.

Bringing my mainland with me to NYC...there's a lot of music stores who do trade ins

this kid right here. :D.

im just going to my grandmas in the city for a day, but i bring my uke everywhere, even to the store. (walmart hates me)

I am currently traveling with my Travel Tenor. It fits in my backpack. Last time I traveled, I saw 4 other folks in the airport with their ukes. BTW, No one can recognize the songs I play, but thats ok with me;)

I just got a Kala travel soprano from MGM to take with me on a 6-day trip I'm taking in late December. I usually bring two carryons and don't check anything. I'm hoping the travel uke won't change that.

I'm road-tripping with mine this year (and returning with my old neglected acoustic guitar, too, but nevermind that)

the TSA website says they'll let one instrument, a carry-on bag, and one "personal item" (purse?) through, but airlines might have different policies.

I am currently traveling with my flea in japan. Makes my stay even more comfortable.

I think I always take a uke with me on my tavels. Which one ussually depends on mode of travel. For the holidays (car travel) I might bring two so others can play one if they want. But for sure bringing my Moore Bettah!!

Travel without my uke? What a silly question. I am in Fl with mine from Oregon, on Disney cruise played for 3-5 hours every day on back upper deck starting at 5AM. Alaska cruise last May the same, seems like a cruise without a uke is like ice cream without the cream. Got my koa Pono concert this trip & tripping with it. NEVER a problem on planes with my gig bag above my head- keep on strummin

Yup.

I usually bring some type of instrument with me when I travel.

Top Bottom