Mainland #2 is en route

phanzo

Reaction score
Mainland #2 is en route- Slotted Head Concert w/ Mi-Si

SO PUMPED. Ordered my 2nd Mainland uke today. A Mahogany Concert with Slotted Headstock and Mi-Si pickup. So excited! I've wanted this uke since the day I got my Honeybee Soprano (even longer, really,but I knew FOR SURE once I got the Honeybee in my hands). I also got a "Vintage" Alligator case with Hygrometer (which I'm not sure will do me any good without a humidifier...will it??).

Anywho, I got it through Mike from Uke Republic which was AWESOME!! If you are looking to pick up a new uke, PLEASE check him out first; he is a pleasure to work with and has the best prices anywhere. We have talked on and off for the last 3 months or so and he has been awesome the whole way through. Always providing suggestions and advice, a very down-to-earth, normal, uke-lovin' dude. Seriously, do yourself a favor and shoot him an email (sailorjim@ukerepublic.com) or log on to ukerepublic.com and check out his goods. He's awesome. So thank you AGAIN, Mike. I seriously feel like I gained a new friend through my uke shopping experience and that is hard to come by.

He also has some really awesome, custom, hand-made Pineapple shaped uke wall-hangers made by a local Georgia artist. Shoot him an email and I'm sure he can send you some pics (I'll post some pics, once I get mine in the mail). I ordered the 1st of the bunch and I am SO excited to get them in!!

Anywho, back to the uke. Super stoked to finally get a solid concert (been playing an Oscar OU-5 for the last year and a half, time to step it up). Anyone with a Mi-Si out there have any advice for using it? I've only used undersaddle pickups but I have heard the Mi-Si's are awesome!!

Anyway, Long story short: I cant wait to get my new Mainland. Mucho Mahalo to Mike from Uke Republic for just being an awesome, awesome guy and many thanks to Mike (HoosierHiver) from Mainland for being really awesome as well and making the shopping process a joy to be a part of. Thank you guys so much, and I will certainly be coming back very soon!!

(Now get that uke to me!!!!)

Last edited:
congrats phanzo! hope you enjoy it

That's awesome! I'm pretty sure my next uke will be a Mainland through UkeRepublic as well. :)

Ordered a set of Low G Aquilas and a clip-on tuner from mainland to come with my uke. Never used low G before so it should be interesting to try them out (eventually). Anybody used that ET-3000 clip-on tuner that Mike sells? I think they sell it here on UU as well. Seems pretty solid.

Ordered a set of Low G Aquilas and a clip-on tuner from mainland to come with my uke. Never used low G before so it should be interesting to try them out (eventually). Anybody used that ET-3000 clip-on tuner that Mike sells? I think they sell it here on UU as well. Seems pretty solid.
You totally have to post a sound clip of what it sounds like, I'd really be interested since I think my next uke is going in that same direction.

I think everyone and their mom (other than me) has that tuner. Heard lots of good things about it. :)

You totally have to post a sound clip of what it sounds like, I'd really be interested since I think my next uke is going in that same direction.

I think everyone and their mom (other than me) has that tuner. Heard lots of good things about it. :)

I think I may have to make my first video when I get this bad boy in. That way I can:
A) Show it off :D
B) Provide another example of the sound, since there aren't TOO many videos of the slotted head out there
C) I will have a video example of high G, then when I switch to Low G down the road, I can have a comparison video.
D) I can get over my phobia of sucking at uke on video :p

I would assume so. If not, theres a ukeminutes on how to make one out of a pez dispense too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3REUyKL60U

Oh man, I remember seeing that mentioned hadn't seen the video. That's pretty awesome!! How often do you have to add water to a store bought humidifier? This says every 2 days or so for the Pez one, is it the same for actual store bought ones? And how much of a difference does having one make? I'd like to keep my Mainland in the best shape possible but it's not exactly a $1k uke. Will it make that much of a difference if I leave it sitting out like I do with my other ones? Do I really NEED a humidifier?

Oh and what humidity does the case need to be kept at? Isn't it something like 45-50%??

How often do you have to add water to a store bought humidifier?
My herco says to soak in water every other week.

Will it make that much of a difference if I leave it sitting out like I do with my other ones? Do I really NEED a humidifier?
Having a humidifier in your case means you don't need to humidify the whole room. If the room in question is at decent humidity, then it's not an issue. In fact, I think I remember reading a GrumpyCoyote post about how leaving the uke out of the case can be beneficial. However, if you can't keep a whole room at a good level, the case humidifiers become much more important.

Oh and what humidity does the case need to be kept at? Isn't it something like 45-50%??
I've read between 50-55% is best.

Edit: Grumpy quote
Like others have said - don't worry about it.

Wet is bad... like water wet. Humid is fine. Drying out (like desert dry) quickly from very humid can also be an issue, but wood is amazingly resilient.

You are not talking about extremes here - at least not from the perspective of wood. It’ll be just fine.

One note about cases (and it’s counter to most advice you’ll hear)… It’s usually a terrible idea to keep an instrument in a case full time. It’s not protecting it from the environmental changes, just dents. The exception is a humidity regulated case, that’s the only way the case makes much of a difference. Usually cases just make problems of heat and moisture worse.

So get it out of the case… keep it on a stand. Play the snot out of it. Only worry about rapid extremes and very very wet or very very dry.

Last edited:
Hey Phanzo I would recommend getting a humidifier for your new uke. It's too dry around here most of the time for a solid wood uke. You can get one from Acoustic Vibes in Tempe.

Congrats on the new Mainland...

Yea thats what I'm thinkin'. Just way to dry here, especially in the winter.

Think I'll go to one of the other music stores though, Acoustic Vibes is to expensive for my blood...thanks for the suggestion though :D

Top Bottom