6-string and 8-string comparison?

escee

Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here (to the forum anyway :)) Been playing the flea for just over a year now ... before that been playing guitar and bass for almost 20 years ... also a touch of djembe and pennywhistle :p

Anyways, am considering between a 6 and 8 string now ... it won't be my main uke (already have a concert for that) but I'm thinking of it as a nice option for small ensembles, mainly for rhythm work. So my question is, what difference (if any) do people find between the two ... whether strumming or simple plucking ....

Looks-wise, part of me likes the look of 4 pairs (ie. 8-strings) compared to 6 which somehow seems 'off-balance', visually anyway *shrugs*

6 and 8 string 'Ukuleles are mainly used for a fuller, melodic sound. I think the 6 string provides a lower end mainly because the 1st (A) and 3rd (C) is octaved. Another option is to use a low G and make the A unison. The courses on the 8 string; 1st (A) and 2nd (E) are in unison and the 3rd (C) and 4th (G) are octaved. You can finger pick with both but strumming will be be it;s greatest asset.

I have owned both. 6 string was a solid mahghany tuned low g with a low a as well. 8 string was mango. I currently own neither uke any more. I sold the 6 string for the 8 string and traded the 8 string for a super soprano. I prefered the 6 string. It was a little easier on the fingers and didn't take as long to tune. My six stringer was also louder but that could be because it was a lot older and it had had time to open up. The 6 stringer to me was also easier to pick. I will be buying another 6 string and I am not sure about another 8 string.

I prefer 8 strings over 6. 8 strings sound more fuller and crispy to me, and you can always convert a 8 to a 6.

Top Bottom