UAS: Cheapies!

Sambient

Reaction score
I recognize some of my hunter/collector tendancy in this still-new love of ukulele. This honeymoon stage.
I have moments of wondering if I don't think of some of the ukes I think I want like I do shoes. "Well, they're not expensive, and I don't have anything in that color."
I want the odd shapes (except the buffoonish flying v). The unusual colors. The excuse to try different strings on each one. I want to explore the differences in quality of the low-investment instruments. I still haven't figured out if I prefer geared or friction tuners.
The guilt-free sensibility if I'm clumsy. The low-maintenance companionship. The desire to find the charm even in the maligned brands (one Santini on its way). I want to give love to the humble.
I also don't have as much free flowing moolah. I guess the joy of something new five times if they're cheapies vs the joy of one fine pricier model when my abilities aren't yet up to snuff is something I weigh out.

Does anyone else's UAS run this way? I'm sure I'll grow up past this stage. But for now, I want to unabashedly delight in quirkiness and frivolity.

Does anyone else's UAS run this way? I'm sure I'll grow up past this stage. But for now, I want to unabashedly delight in quirkiness and frivolity.

This is me, to a "T"! Kind of quirky and unique. The less expensive ukes are completely capable of handling my style and quality of performing. So I can play goofy or serious, depending on my mood.

I've got at least eight really good ukes, and also three painted Mahalos (yellow; white; red) and a yellow Makala.

So - guilty as charged, Your Honour!

Ukantor.

Oh yeah. I'd say 4 of my ukes really are just for decoration. 3 of them were specifically purchased as such. I picked up a cheap one in a Tiki bar because it had flowers painted on it, and I am an unashamed owner of a flying V uke. One of them's the first uke I got, which isn't very good but looks nice. Then there's the blue Mahalo which is dual purpose as a travel uke and a wall hanging.

I thought my bubblegum Flea was just for show until I played it. Love that thing. :)

My most recent evidence of UAS was a couple Carnival sopraninos, a blue Smurfulele, A Spongebob Pineapple, my Doane Clone baritone (hey that rhymes!), a coconut shell 'ukulele (sounds like crap but looks cool), and the rest are mainly pineapples with a Banjolele thrown in for good measure. Most I paid for an 'ukulele is $300 and I have no real desire for a new "K" brand of any type. I guess I'm on the same boat as you my Joisey friend. ;)

I'm fortunate that I started uke'ing at the bottom. I started with a Lanikai Pineapple LU-21 and a Lanikai LU-11. Great ukes but entry level. Later my Ohana Sopranino joined the herd and is now my favorite. So I can only move up from here and add a nice tenor to my collection. Except for one tenor, I'll stick with sopranos if I get any more.
Ernest

I'd rather have 10 $300 ukes than one $3000 uke.

Enhanced the cheapie collection by one today.
Thanks to Susie A mentioning on her Uke Destruction thread the High School Musical ukes being available at Tuesday Morning for a mere $20, I took a ride to find one of these stores. And indeed, the uke was there.
Who'da thought Washburn could make something so sub-par? And with Disney's name on it? But it was $20, and it's a concert size. You could tell it could be a good enough uke.
A little attention from the local luthier to lose the buzz and it still qualifies as a cheapy. In fact, a couple that were hanging out in the luthier's shop are possibly going to go rescue the remaining HSM uke. They'd been considering a uke for their niece.
So I'll give this delightfully undignified looking instrument a little more quality of life than it was expecting.
I happen to like the color blue. And stars.
And I'll do like the instructions say and get an adult to fill out the warranty registration card.

Top Bottom