uke lessons/classes

jer989

Reaction score
I'm just curious if anyone has had private or even group uke lessons or classes while they are (or were) still pretty much in the beginner stage (which I would take to mean you've playing for a year or less).

Do you think it helped your learning uke a little or a lot - and what was your experience in general? I'm curious although I don't personally know of anyone in my area that does lessons (and I also probably couldn't afford it now either - especially before Christmas!). I've heard that a good teacher can point out mistakes and bad habits and save you a lot of grief on the long run too. I'm just wondering in general how essential either lessons or some sort of class if you're a player whose looking to advance to the next level (so to speak).

And if a private instructor or classes aren't an option, can anyone also suggest a book or some other type of structured way to make practice time a little more, well....structured???

thanks!

I've taken both group and private. I would absolutely recommend it. If I learn one thing it's a win f or me, and I actually come out learning about 3 to 5 things in the group classes. Lessons are a game changer. Also, check out Aldrine's dvd at this site, thats structured and is like another lesson set. Lessons with the practice should increase your skills by a factor.

Last edited:
I have taken group lessons for about a year. It has been extremely valuable. I absolutely love Aldrine's online lessons, and books are very helpful, but for me anyway, it really helps to have an interactive session with someone right there able to correct any mistakes. Plus, I really enjoy playing the ukulele in a group setting.

This past weekend was the second meeting of the West San Fernando Valley/Guitar Merchant Ukulele group (we'll come up with a catchier name at some point). Both times we had six players on hand. We went through a few pretty basic songs.

I picked up several tips and tricks at both meetings and will be a better player because of it. All we did was sit in a circle and play a few songs. Then we talked about how this part worked and that part might be better if we played it through like this and so on. When we got happy with the song, we moved on. In the process, we all learned.

Point is: play with others. Private lessons will be good for learning specific techniques. But in most cases, a group will have someone in it who knows what you want to know. It's all good.

I'm just curious if anyone has had private or even group uke lessons or classes while they are (or were) still pretty much in the beginner stage (which I would take to mean you've playing for a year or less).

Do you think it helped your learning uke a little or a lot - and what was your experience in general? I'm curious although I don't personally know of anyone in my area that does lessons (and I also probably couldn't afford it now either - especially before Christmas!). I've heard that a good teacher can point out mistakes and bad habits and save you a lot of grief on the long run too. I'm just wondering in general how essential either lessons or some sort of class if you're a player whose looking to advance to the next level (so to speak).

And if a private instructor or classes aren't an option, can anyone also suggest a book or some other type of structured way to make practice time a little more, well....structured???

thanks!

Hey I agree with what the others have said. I had private lessons for a while and really benefitted from them. Having someone who knows what they're doing assess your posture and tell you how to do basic things (like holding the uke or strumming properly - something which I hasten to add people like Julia Nunes can't actually do) is incredibly helpful.

I also found having a teacher helps with motivation and can also open new music genres you wouldn't ever have thought of.

Overall it's a good idea. Group lessons help with understanding music composition and are great for timing - something I suck at!

The closest thing to formal lessons I ever received was over 40 years ago while in 4th grade learning Hawaiiana in public school. My dad showed me some basics on his old Kamaka but that's about it. I wish I did have formal training in hindsight, maybe then I could read music or at least tabs. I struggle along with chords when not playing by ear. :rolleyes:

My learning has been through:

Websites
Ralph Shaw Videos
Jumpin' Jim Books
Workshops with great players
YouTube videos

Now that have a good foundation, I would *love* to take some private or group lessons specifically on chord melody playing & fingerpicking. I would probably need to drive several hours to take lessons.

Top Bottom