UAS is KILLING ME!!!!

NukeDOC

Retired Mod
Reaction score
ok so ive come up on a little spare change. not much, but enough. for the time being. so im looking at all the ukes and im thinking to myself how i LOVE to gig with my eleuke. i love the concert size of the one i have now. but im also wanting one in tenor.

here's my dilemma: 18 hours left on MGM's auction for the natural finish tenor with headphone jack. $300 shipped. i currently (including my "toy" ukes that i actually play) own 9 ukes. i need a 10th like i need an ulcer. but my UAS is twisting my logic into thinking that maybe i do need an ulcer.

ok so my choices:
1. just go ahead and buy the badboy and be "fat and happy".
2. get the new uke with the full intention of putting up some of the other ukes for sale on craigslist (doubtful).
3. slap myself across the face and scold myself for being such an addict.
4. build kharma points by offering some of my cheapies to people within the continental USA (shipping purposes) for free through some sort of contest. people who actually just want to try the uke out and would like a beater to use while following along with aldrine's awesome lessons to learn how to play.

what should i do?

full blown UAS!!!!

i used to have this problem with guitars and it pained me to have to sell them on craigslist or ebay. it's like selling your child (okay, not quite). what i ended up doing was giving them away to family and friends that wanted to learn. so i would say, A) go on with your bad self and make that new purchase, B) choose your favorite ukes and hold onto them for dear life, and C) maybe give one or two of your "beaters" away to friends or family, or D) get your deach on and host a contest!

get your deach on
hahaha i love it! deach is not only an entity on this forum. the word is now a VERB.

looks like i need to go through my inventory and see what i want to do with which ukes. but i can totally foresee "deaching" at least one of them. hahaha.

Nuke relax!!!!;) UAS is not a bad habit..my advice is...if you are going to have regrets..dont buy it!!!...but c'mmon you already have the UAS disease lol!!!!! buy that uke and BE HAPPY!!!!!!!...and if the guilty is killing you...think why in the whole wide world you deserve that cool ukulele....i'm pretty sure you have more than 10 reasons!!!!!!!:):)

...i need a 10th like i need an ulcer. but my UAS is twisting my logic into thinking that maybe i do need an ulcer.

Well...if you don't buy it you'll get an ulcer thinking about it anyway...so you might as well just do it! haha.

...besides, do you have a tenor eleuke yet? No? Well, there's your justification right there!

DO YOUR PART TO STRENGTHEN THE ECONOMY!
haha

Haha, I kind of have the same problem a lot, coveting ukes that I really don't need.

That's actually a pretty tough choice you're making there. One one hand, the tenor Eleuke is the same as the concert except for the neck/fretboard length. On the other hand, the new tenor has that cool headphone jack. I do think that if you get the tenor Eleuke, the concert Eleuke will become redundant.

BTW, the "deaching" concept is excellent. I'm probably going to "deach" one of my ukes when it comes time to manage my UAS problem. And that's going to be real soon...:D

Haha, I kind of have the same problem a lot, coveting ukes that I really don't need.

That's actually a pretty tough choice you're making there. One one hand, the tenor Eleuke is the same as the concert except for the neck/fretboard length. On the other hand, the new tenor has that cool headphone jack. I do think that if you get the tenor Eleuke, the concert Eleuke will become redundant.

BTW, the "deaching" concept is excellent. I'm probably going to "deach" one of my ukes when it comes time to manage my UAS problem. And that's going to be real soon...:D
ok so lemme get this straight... the body dimensions of the eleuke concerts and tenors are identical?

i was somehow (dont ask me how) under the impression that the concert had a soprano size body, while the tenor had a concert size body. if the body dimensions are the same, then i agree that having two would be redundant. and in that case, i would turn my attention toward a new guitar! oooh! or maybe a cheap set of electric drums! hahaha. either way, if i get anything, something's gotta go. haha

hell, i might just invest that money into materials to make my own electric ukulele in the dimensions that i want. hmmm les paul styleeeeoooooooo!

Last edited:
ok so lemme get this straight... the body dimensions of the eleuke concerts and tenors are identical?

i was somehow (dont ask me how) under the impression that the concert had a soprano size body, while the tenor had a concert size body. if the body dimensions are the same, then i agree that having two would be redundant. and in that case, i would turn my attention toward a new guitar! oooh! or maybe a cheap set of electric drums! hahaha. either way, if i get anything, something's gotta go. haha

I wrote without checking any facts first, but MGM's listings doesn't help because he puts the exact same picture of the Eleuke's body on both the tenor and concert listings. You should probably check with MGM to make sure that they do have the same body size, but I'm fairly certain that's the case.

Nuke what you got to do first is slap yourself across the face and acknowledge that you're an addict, then hit that bid button on ebay. And although it pains to wait for that new uke to come in, even though MGM is pretty quick. The hours feel like days, the days feel like weeks, the weeks, nevermind, MGM doesn't take that long. Once you get that stick. You'll be like it was all worth it, and it always is. UAS is justified, yes it is a disease. Besides you're doing the country a good thing by helping to spike the economy.

I suspect your UAS has not fully manifested itself. If so, your post would have started with "okay, so I just bought this new uke, and . . . "

That said, go buy it, then work out a way to justify it.

Now -- if you really feel the urge to send one out to make room for the new guy, what about a travelling uke? By this I mean a cheapie that could get circulated around to the UU members and be signed/tagged/whatever and be sent on to the next? Maaybe each member could do a video with it, sign it, then send it off to the next guy. It could either eventually end up back in your hands, or remain in circulation 'forever'.

I suppose it might be important to use a relatively sturdy carton that could be re-shipped again and again, etc.

As usual, just shooting from the hip here . . .

Sorry, but I can't get used to the acronym UAS. For years I have been infected with GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) I think I'll just keep it GAS for (gear acquisition syndrome)

Oh, and back on topic, buy that Uke. What'cha gonna do, take all that money with you??

Sorry, but I can't help you either. I'm constantly buying another guitar, banjo, mandolin, and now ukes too. We're doomed.

ey nuke if you like the natural finish go for it. But you should ask MGM if he has any new types coming in cuz i actually had 1 week of knowing he had a rosewood and sandalwood coming in after he came back from NY.

i was thinking about "deach" as a verb. to deach. so in the present tense, performing the act, i would be deaching. if that were the case, then if i were to put up an uke in a contest, once the winner receives the prize, can i say "you've just been daught!" ??? hahaha

im going to make that the title of the contest thread once i start it.

i was thinking about "deach" as a verb. to deach. so in the present tense, performing the act, i would be deaching. if that were the case, then if i were to put up an uke in a contest, once the winner receives the prize, can i say "you've just been daught!" ??? hahaha

im going to make that the title of the contest thread once i start it.

Oh great. So now I'm getting conjugated... :)

ok so ive come up on a little spare change. not much, but enough. for the time being. so im looking at all the ukes and im thinking to myself how i LOVE to gig with my eleuke. i love the concert size of the one i have now. but im also wanting one in tenor.

here's my dilemma: 18 hours left on MGM's auction for the natural finish tenor with headphone jack. $300 shipped. i currently (including my "toy" ukes that i actually play) own 9 ukes. i need a 10th like i need an ulcer. but my UAS is twisting my logic into thinking that maybe i do need an ulcer.

ok so my choices:
1. just go ahead and buy the badboy and be "fat and happy".
2. get the new uke with the full intention of putting up some of the other ukes for sale on craigslist (doubtful).
3. slap myself across the face and scold myself for being such an addict.
4. build kharma points by offering some of my cheapies to people within the continental USA (shipping purposes) for free through some sort of contest. people who actually just want to try the uke out and would like a beater to use while following along with aldrine's awesome lessons to learn how to play.

what should i do?

Keep saving for a Kanilea or something...ha.

Keep saving for a Kanilea or something...ha.

you know, ive thought about that. and one of these days i will have one in the same realm. but when i come to think of it, i dont even want to gig with my pono, just because its my prized uke. now, if i were to get a kanile'a, then i would feel just fine gigging with my pono. but at the same time, ive got these other ukes that are just as capable of playing the same tunes. i dunno, maybe im still stuck in the world where i dont think i deserve to be playing one just yet, and that the "cheaper" ukes suit me just fine right now.

oh man, i feel like this too! i really want a new uke, hella expensive but i have enough haha. but you know... i really think you should hold off. 10 ukes is a lot to have. i only have 2 but i'm trying to stay content with my kala lol. i would go with ukestar's suggestion though. save for something that would be high in quality. i dont think that'll stop you from buying more in the future but for me, i would like to have 1 great uke over many. not trying to say any of your ukes arent great, cuz they sound good on open mic and stuff, but thats how i see things. thats just my opinion haha. im trying to keep myself from severe UAS hehe ^^; good luck with the decision

Top Bottom