New Uke Day!

rogue_wave

Reaction score
This morning a happy package arrived at my office from MGM.

I know there have been Kala Acacia Tenors landing in the laps of UU'ers like falling leaves, but this one is different. It's mine!!

I am so excited to try out the tenor size and can't wait to get to know this ukulele better. I also had MGM install a MiSi and will be curious to play around with that a bit.

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I have to say a huge thank you to everyone on these boards, I learn from all of you everyday. Certainly those of you who go the extra mile and demo, review and play all of the wide variety of instruments out there are helping those of us with limited access and a growing knowledge understand some of the nuances in shapes, woods, strings, etc. Thank you thank you thank you.

Big shout out to MGM who managed to get this ukulele out the door very quickly after much procrastinating on my side. The install on the MiSi looks very clean and neat and most importantly the instrument landed safely and securely, just in time for me to take it with me over the holiday.

After a wild ride these past 12 months trying to keep a small business together and letting that become all consuming, the refuge these instruments provide is next to magic.

Something to be thankful for - to be sure!

And because otherwise it didn't happen... (I'll take better pics later)

Attachments

• IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 41
Looks great! My girlfriend actually just purchased one for me from MGM recently - I'll be getting it soon! :D I'm excited.

Congratulations! Enjoy your new uke. Very nice looking.
Regards,
Ray

Happy new uke day! That wood looks great....

I handled a KALA Acacia tenor recently at a local flea market and was very impressed with everything about it. As sacrilegious as this may sound coming from an islander I would personally presently prefer one of these over a "K" brand and use the money saved to pay for living expenses. Congrats on your new addition to family. ;)

Beautiful! That's one of the nicest ones I've seen since people first started posting pictures of theirs. Happy happy new uke day!

Happy happy :D Joy Joy:D

Congrats. It looks like a relative of the Kala Acacia tenor I picked up today. Minus the pickup, of course. Eventually, I may just have someone install a pickup on mine.

Thanks for all the nice words everyone!

I'll admit I am a little intimidated by the tenor. I was really on the fence about changing sizes from the concert. (Of course, as true addict I am still missing that special soprano...) Lately, I have been feeling like I have been breaking through a wall on my practicing & playing and I don't want to blow it by getting lost on the tenor neck. I hope to get some good playing time in over the next week (I'm knocking off work Woohoo!) so hopefully I can get a better feel for it.

It is funny how many "which size" posts there are, but not quite as many "I play this size and I am thinking about changing" posts.

As far as the pick-up, I was just curious about it and though it might be interesting to try in this uke. It was sort of a splurge as I don't have a great need for it aside from adding something to the versatility. Maybe down the road....?

I do really love the colors. I know people have posted their raves about the instrument, but I have to add my own. I think the wood is very pretty. It isn't flashy, but has an understated shimmer. The headstock is very interesting with a laminate that when cut for the slots shows these very cool layers. As far as the much disputed bling on the fretboard- I love it. For me, it helps takes some of the "serious" vibe down a notch if that makes any sense.

For the money this seems to be a very nice instrument and I think that it accurately represents where I am as a player. Ready to take it more seriously, but not ready to make the big money commitment to something custom of with a K attached.

The journey continues.

Hey Rogue! I just noticed that you and I have the same exact 2 ukes. I got the Leolani Zebra first and then the Kala today.

Congratulations! That's one pretty instrument. I also have a Kala acacia tenor, and I enjoy playing it as much as my concert ukulele, even though they're different sizes. Have fun with yours!

New Uke Day is one of the greater joys of life, congratulations. Love those headstocks.

Hey Rogue! I just noticed that you and I have the same exact 2 ukes. I got the Leolani Zebra first and then the Kala today.

Nice! You have excellent taste. Is your Leolani zebra on top also or just sides and back? Mine is spruce or something like that on top. I do like the sound of it though. And she'll always be my first...:)

Nice! You have excellent taste. Is your Leolani zebra on top also or just sides and back? Mine is spruce or something like that on top. I do like the sound of it though. And she'll always be my first...:)
It's Zebra on top. I also like the sound too, although it's not very loud. And also my first...

I bought mine in Hanalei when my wife and I were on vacation. I knew nothing about ukes, but she sounded the best in the price range I was focusing on. I do also now have a soprano travel uke spruce top/ mahogany sides and back that the seller of my tenor worked into my deal today.

I bet the spruce brightens yours up a bit...

Top Bottom