Ukulele Tuners: Silver and Gold--what is this, Christmas?

Matt Clara

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Shopping around for uke tuners, I see silver, and I see gold. Sure, the buttons are offered in a couple colors, but the part that shows up front is restricted to silver or gold. It's one of the reasons I went with the violin pegs for tuners, and they look great, but are even more of a PITA than regular friction tuners, which are trouble enough, IMO (and yes, I have seen pehed tuners, but think they're a little expensive). I do see grover makes some black chrome, but they don't say they're for anything other than guitar, so I'm uncertain whether they would work on something as small as a uke.

My hope is people here who have come across the same dilemma will be able to point out the options available.

I used the black chrome ones for a build and I think they look pretty cool. Got them at Hana Lima Store. I hear you about the silver gold thing. I would LOVE to see bronze or brass, something more 'classic', but I guess not yet.

Matt, I know what you mean. We've looked high and low for brass, brushed steel, brushed nickel, etc. We have used Schaller black chrome tuners (mini sized) on two ukes, but they aren't available retail AFAIK.

Writing to the tuner makers hasn't helped -- I guess there's just no market out there for low-gloss tuners. The Gotohs look fine, but hey 52 bucks is a pricey ticket too.

Cheers,
Erich

Top Bottom