Cajon

bazmaz

Reaction score
With apologies to the mods - feel free to move this as you see fit, but in the absence of a "drum" or "percussion" section in the non uke boards, was interested if any other forum members have any views on Cajon drums.

I am on the verge of buying one, and I have no idea why - in particular, a Meinl String Cajon

Look so cool!

funny you should mention it, i am just about to make one, got a design off the net and i am going to try to build it in the xmas break, it doesn't look too hard at all.

funny you should mention it, i am just about to make one, got a design off the net and i am going to try to build it in the xmas break, it doesn't look too hard at all.

Me too. It's been on my to do list for too long and I saw a guy play one during a concert I saw last Friday. So... Up a few levels on my list.

This is where I found some plans: http://caseyconnor.org/images/cajon/cajon.pdf

Instead of guitar strings I was thinking maybe those things that make a snare drum snare....

Last edited:
UkéDan;262967 said:
Me too. It's been on my to do list for too long and I saw a guy play one during a concert I saw last Friday. So... Up a few levels on my list.

Instead of guitar strings I was thinking maybe those things that make a snare drum snare....

Those are called Snares.

I've got plans for a cigar box guitar/cajon hybrid. It's essentially a standard CBG with some snares stretched across the back. I'm hoping they resonate sympathetically with the strings, but they sound beautiful percussively also.

I've been wanting a cajon for a while now, and the Meinls seem to be a good deal. Let us know if you go for it -- I'd be really interested in how you get on with it. :)

yeah thats the plans i got too but i am going with the nylon guitar strings cos i think it will give me a warmer sound than a metal snare

The cajon has its roots in the shipping boxes slaves used to play because they were not allowed to have instruments.

Cajons are great fun to play...you'll not regret getting one because they are so much fun and they are fairly inexpensive. And you get a seat too so you won't get tired standing while you're beating it up.

I've also been experimenting with cigar boxes as a percussion instrument. They are small and very portable but actually have a very good percussive sound.

Thanks all - very very tempted - they look so much fun. Big differences in models and what you get - some very nice models are very traditional, and are not strung. Those that are strung vary widely in string types, numbers, placement - and on top of all that, the wood choice changes the voice.

But - I am a mere newbie, so keeping it sensible...

Am looking at either:

Meinl Headliner - the cheap entry version - about £90 - in loads of funky finishes

Meinl String Cajon - about £40 more - nicer wood, padded seat etc

Or

De Gregorio Fandango - about £140

thanks - thats a great price for the Fandango (though out of stock) - from what I am reading the Meinl headliners are pretty fun, their £140-£150 range are brilliant, as is the Fandango

no idea on wood types - hell, Meinl do them with cloth and fibreglass fronts too!

Most of them i have seen in the local drum shop, even the pricey ones are made of 6 ply. i guess a good resonant wood would be better though. I have a nice bit of Spruce which has been seasoned properly ( the mrs bought it to make a desk top and then never made it) which i am going to use and my mrs tells me her dad has some cedar wood in the yard which i can also use, i might make the front from this.

I thought this thread was going to be about spicey southern Louisiana cooking. :D

on the same site as that fandango in the offers they have a basswood one for 80 quid, that is a bargain , that one costs 160 in my local shop.

i thought you were talking about the food when i saw the title. :D

Top Bottom