Need Help With Technique I Think

Marshmallow

Reaction score
I've been playing for about 6 months now. Just recently I've came across a problem. When I try to switch from an F chord to a D, it's very awkward and seemingly impossible. I'm thinking there's something wrong with my technique.

When I hold, the F, I let the neck of the ukulele rest on the palm of my hand (not really the palm, it's the pads at the bases of your fingers). As I make the switch to D, the neck of the ukulele wants to fall because of the way I hold my D (which may be wrong - I bar the 2nd fret with my pointer finger and use my pinky to fret the A string, 5th fret). I can't support the neck in between.

I may just need to practice, but it sure seems like there's a different problem.

By the way, I have a soprano. So, I have to support it with both arms.

Attachments

• harmony-uke2-front.jpg
    harmony-uke2-front.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 22
  • kanilea-front-full.jpg
    kanilea-front-full.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 9
  • kanilea-side.jpg
    kanilea-side.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 6
  • kanilea-front.jpg
    kanilea-front.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 9
  • kanilea-back.jpg
    kanilea-back.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 8
There's another way to play a D chord. You can play 2220 instead of 2225

But if you need to use that D inversion, you should try to practice on positioning your thumb correctly on the back of the ukulele. If your thumb is positioned wrong, then everything else follows. Find a nice comfortable place where you can place your thumb so that you can support barred chords like the D. Also, see if your right hand/arm is also in the correct place. You're supposed to support it from both sides. Show us a video perhaps? Maybe we can help you better

:D

Attachments

• IMG_4829.jpg
    IMG_4829.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4830.jpg
    IMG_4830.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 13
Great! So, is it normal to support the neck with my palm when i'm not playing barred chords, or is that incorrect?

There's another way to play a D chord. You can play 2220 instead of 2225

But if you need to use that D inversion, you should try to practice on positioning your thumb correctly on the back of the ukulele. If your thumb is positioned wrong, then everything else follows. Find a nice comfortable place where you can place your thumb so that you can support barred chords like the D. Also, see if your right hand/arm is also in the correct place. You're supposed to support it from both sides. Show us a video perhaps? Maybe we can help you better

:D

holy carp. 2220 is still impossible for me and by giant fingers (I'm in the 90% percentile of hand size). 2225 seems easier for my fingers. Now, if someone can show me a way to make my pointing and middle fingers double jointed short of breaking the damn knuckles, I'll get these barre chords on the uke one of these days... :)

I was just fiddling around seeing how I switch between just an F and a D and I realized I don't even use my pointer finger on the D. I fret the F with my middle finger on 2nd fret, G string and pointer on 1st fret, C string. To switch all I do is bar the strings on the 2nd fret with my middle finger and stretch my pinkie to 5th fret A string. I'm self taught in every instrument I play, and I have bad habits left and right so you may want to take my words with a grain of salt. :D

Last edited:
holy carp. 2220 is still impossible for me and by giant fingers (I'm in the 90% percentile of hand size). 2225 seems easier for my fingers. Now, if someone can show me a way to make my pointing and middle fingers double jointed short of breaking the damn knuckles, I'll get these barre chords on the uke one of these days... :)

Hahaha. You can try barring the top three strings on the second fret with your middle finger perhaps?

Yeah, it does. It will take some getting used to, but I'll get it. I guess I've been holding most of my chords incorrectly the whole time I've been playing. I can definitely see how that would make chord switching easier though. I've got one more question. Are bigger sized ukuleles easier to support? Just curious. They seem like they would be because they would fit in the crook of your arm better.

Attachments

• stewmactop1.jpg
    stewmactop1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 15
  • stewmactop2.jpg
    stewmactop2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 8
  • stewmactop3.jpg
    stewmactop3.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 8
Yeah, it does. It will take some getting used to, but I'll get it. I guess I've been holding most of my chords incorrectly the whole time I've been playing. I can definitely see how that would make chord switching easier though. I've got one more question. Are bigger sized ukuleles easier to support? Just curious. They seem like they would be because they would fit in the crook of your arm better.

depends on the person. Some poeple have their own preferences. Like Ohta-san plays one of the smallest ukes you'll ever see but he rips at it like crazy and he's about my height. I'm more comfortable with my tenor though because I have huge Uma Thurman hands

depends on the person. Some poeple have their own preferences. Like Ohta-san plays one of the smallest ukes you'll ever see but he rips at it like crazy and he's about my height. I'm more comfortable with my tenor though because I have huge Uma Thurman hands

you know i have i guess decent size hands but i cant stretch them that far as like in some of the chords i see people play. and im like whoooa how am i ever going to play a song that makes me stretch my fingers

i use my thumb to support all the time, thumb get super sore at the end of a 4-5 min song, but its the only way for me to feel comfortable to hits the chords i need to.

just an example of someone who uses his thumb

Attachments

• U4.jpg
    U4.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 55
  • U3.jpg
    U3.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 54
  • U2.jpg
    U2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 62
  • U5.jpg
    U5.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 75
  • K3.jpg
    K3.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 286
I see. Well, thank you very much for the help. It's kind of surreal talking to you because you (and Jake S.) honestly did inspire me to play ukulele (your videos on youtube).

Attachments

• 010212154755.jpg
    010212154755.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 2012-01-02_15-43-33_961.jpg
    2012-01-02_15-43-33_961.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 7
I see. Well, thank you very much for the help. It's kind of surreal talking to you because you (and Jake S.) honestly did inspire me to play ukulele (your videos on youtube).

Thanks dude! :D That means a lot to me.

Although, I'm just a dork with an ukulele, a computer, and a love for videogames and comics. Even though Fred will tell you the opposite hahaha

Although, I'm just a dork with an ukulele, a computer, and a love for videogames and comics. Even though Fred will tell you the opposite hahaha

arent we all!! arent we all!!! :D

Attachments

• uke_vladivostok1.jpg
    uke_vladivostok1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 2
  • wixom ukuleles 001.jpg
    wixom ukuleles 001.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 5
  • _p1150318a.jpg
    _p1150318a.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 6
  • _p1150388a.jpg
    _p1150388a.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 5
  • _p1150342b.jpg
    _p1150342b.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 5
  • parrots01.jpg
    parrots01.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Jasper 02.jpg
    Jasper 02.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 10
  • _img_0403.jpg
    _img_0403.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 4
  • _p1010151a.jpg
    _p1010151a.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 2
  • _p1010168a.jpg
    _p1010168a.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 9
  • _p1010642.jpg
    _p1010642.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Park-Quarter-Obverse-Design.jpg
    Park-Quarter-Obverse-Design.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1
  • fireworks kaboom 01a.jpg
    fireworks kaboom 01a.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1
  • kyser capo 01.jpg
    kyser capo 01.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1

haha WHAT!! i know not much about you other than you play the ukulele and love anime and sing, and of course taking the virginity of 19 ukuleleundergrounders....but other than that, i dunno lol

My go to way to play D 2220 is Middle Index Ring with the index finger above the other two all on the second fret. (Think a G7 shape and move the index up to the 2nd fret.)

Then it's a simple matter of moving the index to the first fret on the E-string and lifting the ring off of the strings.

I also play it: Middle Ring Pinky and rarely: Index Middle Ring.

In other words, try different finger positions for chords to be able to easily move from one chord to another.

I am too old to make my fingers bend backwards to cover more than one string. (And the arthritis definitely lets me know what it thinks when I try.)

My go to way to play D 2220 is Middle Index Ring with the index finger above the other two all on the second fret. (Think a G7 shape and move the index up to the 2nd fret.)

Then it's a simple matter of moving the index to the first fret on the E-string and lifting the ring off of the strings.

I also play it: Middle Ring Pinky and rarely: Index Middle Ring.

In other words, try different finger positions for chords to be able to easily move from one chord to another.

I am too old to make my fingers bend backwards to cover more than one string. (And the arthritis definitely lets me know what it thinks when I try.)
After 13 years, I hope they figured out D. ;-)

Reactions: jer
Top Bottom