Greetings from bigploch

bigploch

Reaction score
Hello all.
Name is Dan. Been wanting to learn a stringed instrument but wanted to play something different. I've got a friend who plays the mandolin, several who play guitar and bass, but no uke players. I figured why not, I like to be different.

Just purchased a Kala KA-S and started strumming last night. After searching for beginner lessons (strumming, drills, and proper hand positions) I stumbled acress some of Aldrine's vids. Man what a talent. Can't wait to spend my holiday practicing. I think this is gonna be fun.

You found the right place. Welcome to UU!:)

Welcome to the Underground Dan.

Welcome aboard, Dan. :)

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome. It hurts to type right now, let alone play anymore. This thing is so addicting.

I am loving the technical stuff and learning all of the chords but I am really struggling with strumming with no pick. I have been searching all over for proper methods but nothing seems to help. I got to stop biting my nails but I am struggling with getting quality sound on my up strums. I'll keep looking though. Need to find a local teacher I guess.

Well here I am 2 mos in and I am hitting a bit of a bump in the road. I am struggling to find out what to do next. I don't seem to have any local people to go to that I can find on here and the info I am finding is either above my skill level or it is super basic. Any ideas on how to hookup with a local uke player?

Bonjour bigploch

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome. It hurts to type right now, let alone play anymore. This thing is so addicting.

I am loving the technical stuff and learning all of the chords but I am really struggling with strumming with no pick. I have been searching all over for proper methods but nothing seems to help. I got to stop biting my nails but I am struggling with getting quality sound on my up strums. I'll keep looking though. Need to find a local teacher I guess.

Have you searched here to find nearby folks?:
Regional-Get-Togethers

Have you searched here to find nearby folks?:
Regional-Get-Togethers

Yup, looked there. Didn't see anything closer than 2 hours away. It's lonely Uking in Central PA Harrisburg area. I found two teachers by posting an add on craigslist. Now the question is do I spend the money on lessons or do I jam with guitar playing friends and learn what I can from them while saving for a tenor electric. (Kala KA-TE) Decisions decisions. I can learn alot about music without spending a dime and I really would like a larger uke for my ginat fingers and electric to play live. Just a thought.

Wow, Uke Congress. Getting in I didn't know it would get political. Haha. I will keep it in mind. I am hopefully starting a weekly jam with a few other musicians. No other ukelists but I got so much to learn, it won't matter. I just need to practice, practice, practice.

Getting together with another musician was a massive help. Probably going to make it a weekly thing. One bump in the road was the fact I can't play while she is sleeping AND there is a baby on the way so that will cut into practice time too. I am about to purchase a Stagg LP Style Solid Body Concert Electric. Plug in the headphones and quietly play away.

In the last few days though, I go through phases where I can't get enough, but at times it can be very frustrating and overwhelming (there is a TON of info out there to learn. Working on the 3 note scales right now). It can be a bit daunting. The way I see it, this a just a way for your brain you have had enough for one night. I am hoping I am on the right track.

Top Bottom