Hi, I'm new, this seems a great forum :D But could i have somne help please?!?!

Mini123

Reaction score
Hi :)

Can I firstly say this seems like a great forum filled with loads of friendly people :)

Im new to the uke but im loving it, i was thinking about buying aquila strings for my ukulele, are they good?? But really what I'm asking is, is the low G string different for soprano/ concerts ukes as i'm thinking of buying a single one, but its advertised as for concert ukuleles and mine is soprano????

Thanks in advance

(ps. thanks to seeso because i've been playing his tabs and been really enjoying it :p)

Aquila is a very popular and inexpensive upgrade and will give most ukes a bigger sound. I don't see any problems using a Low G concert string on a soparano. If you're just beginning, I would stay with the re-entrant tuning (GCEA) till you're familiar with chords and such. You may/may not like the Low G sound.:2cents:

I'm glad you're getting some use out of my tabs. Welcome to the site, Mini123.

Thanks for such a quick response!!

The one I was looking at says it is wound,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aquila-Ukulel...nstruments?hash=item45ef7f82e5#ht_2562wt_1165

I have to buy it off ebay because i live in Northern Ireland and can't find any shops around me that sell ukulele strings :mad: But to be honest I don't really understand the problem you are talking about :confused: so if someone could please tell me if this string will have that problem??

I have been playing the uke for about 6 months but not as often as i would like, is what i meant by just starting so i have learned quite a few chords/ and a few songs so i just want to try the low g, (Im buying a standard aquila set of strings as well as i will probably react to low G as you said)

Thanks again :)

Last edited:
Mini, it will probably be necessary to make the slot in the nut wider, to fit the low G string, which is thicker. That is not difficult, but if you don't like it, and want to change back, it is not so easy to reduce the size of the slot back to what it was.

Just something to consider.

John Colter.

Aquila strings are the business - you cant really go wrong with them.

As for buying a single string - i wasnt aware you could do that - sounds odd to me, but I am happy to be corrected.

Dont personally find full string sets for Uke all that expensive considering that they last a damn sight longer than steel guitar strings, for about the same money.

When I am gigging, I am changing guitar strings once a week - gets pricey. My uke strings I put on my Flea (Aquilas!) have been on it for 12 months, and still sound fine.

I'd suggest - get the string you want - or maybe buy a set with low G - buy another set standard GCEA soprano - try one set - take em off carefully and try the others - if you are careful, you can easily keep Uke strings to re-use.

I recently bought a Mainland that came with aquilas - put worths on it, but kept the aquilas i took off, as they will be fine to put back on if I change my mind

I don't know if you can see what I mean but here is a picture of the string. I'm fairly new, but I doubt strings are supposed to do this. It still sounded fine when I took it off but I'm not sure how much longer it would have lasted. It started unwinding at the second fret and I could feel a little sharp edge. I think MGM has unwound low g single strings but I was to cheap to pay for shipping. I ended up buying Savarez guitar strings and they sound nice. Still wound low g so I'll have to see how it lasts. It's only been about a month.

Aquila is a very popular and inexpensive upgrade and will give most ukes a bigger sound. I don't see any problems using a Low G concert string on a soparano. If you're just beginning, I would stay with the re-entrant tuning (GCEA) till you're familiar with chords and such. You may/may not like the Low G sound.:2cents:

:agree:

Great input as always from Kanaka916.

Took the words right out of my mouth... :cool:

I don't know if you can see what I mean but here is a picture of the string. I'm fairly new, but I doubt strings are supposed to do this. It still sounded fine when I took it off but I'm not sure how much longer it would have lasted. It started unwinding at the second fret and I could feel a little sharp edge. I think MGM has unwound low g single strings but I was to cheap to pay for shipping. I ended up buying Savarez guitar strings and they sound nice. Still wound low g so I'll have to see how it lasts. It's only been about a month.

Unlike metal core wound guitar strings, wound classical guitar/uke strings are sometimes wound on what they call a silkcore. What happens is the frets will cause wear on the wound portion and wear thru sometimes fairly quickly and if you have tall frets can bend the strings due to the lack of internal metal core(bad on ukes).

A unwound Low G will be a FAT nylon string and on a Soprano tends to be sloppy loose feeling to me.

Find an Acoustic Guitar shop in your area and ask for a silkcore wound "D" string. They work just fine as a wound Low G and even on a Soprano are small enough that you don't normaly need to make the nut slot larger.

That way you can see if you like the Low G sound.

But my :2cents: a Soprano should be High g... wanting Low G gives you the excuse to get a Tenor!!!

Last edited:
I didn't mean to be confusing, that's just me. I just had bad luck with that string. Try different things and have fun.:)

Top Bottom