Friction tuners - how tight

bazmaz

Reaction score
Hi - sorry if it sounds like silly question - I have friction tuners that are slipping. How tight can I (or should I) tighten the screw in the end.

All I read is -"tighten it enough". Can I tighten it TOO much?

Cheers

It's trial and error. Yes, you tighten the screw. I would start with a quarter turn at a time. You want it tight enough to hold the string in tune firmly, not so tight that it doesn't turn smoothly (if it turns by popping from position to position you have it too tight. Most people who have worked with friction tuners know what I'm talking about.)

I've found that it is best to tighten the screw firmly then back off on the tension until the tuner begins to slip under the string tension then tighten ever so slightly so that the tuner doesn't slip but you can still turn the tuner comfortably.

Tightening the screw too much not only makes the tuner difficult to turn (and therefore jerky and inaccurate), but you risk breaking the plastic knob, or stripping the thread on the screw, damaging the slot in the screw, or even snapping the screw off in the thread.

Please don't ask me how I know.....

John Colter.

ouch John!

Thanks all

Seem to have them holding now - never needed to do this with my Flea on arrival, but my new one had screws so loose, they may as well have not been there!

Tightening the screw too much not only makes the tuner difficult to turn (and therefore jerky and inaccurate), but you risk breaking the plastic knob, or stripping the thread on the screw, damaging the slot in the screw, or even snapping the screw off in the thread.

Please don't ask me how I know.....

John Colter.

Uh yeah, I didn't mean THAT tight. Just tight enough so that the tuner holds...:eek:

Sorry RonnieA, I wasn't referring to your post. You gave good advice. I was giving a direct answer to the OP, "Can I tighten it TOO much?"

In the past I have seen all the results of overtightening that I listed. Even caused a couple of them myself.

"Tighten it enough" is the best advice, but you only learn how much is enough by experience.

John Colter.

Top Bottom