Buzzing after a setup

joehempel

Reaction score
The Uke that I have is a Hilo Uke, so it's not expensive, but I've had some buzzing on just the E string at the first, second, and third fret. After taking it back to the store to have it looked at by their Luthier, he raised the bridge (or saddle, the white bit) up a bit to raise the action, but it's still there, just not quite as bad.

Is there a way to raise it up again for just one string? I can kind of work around it...but I'd like to not have to make sure I'm hitting the string gently so not to buzz when picking.

I'm not buying from this place again though, I just wanted to return it and they don't do returns, just exchanges, this was my 3rd Uke in a week (2 Staggs were bad with VERY poor fretwork)...and the other one they had in stock was bad too.

Thanks!

EDIT: I THINK I FIXED IT. RAISED THE ACTION EVEN MORE, IT'S STILL GOOD FOR ME AND THE BUZZING HAS STOPPED. DID YOU KNOW A PLASTIC ZIP TIE IS THE PERFECT WIDTH FOR A HILO SADDLE SLOT? IT'S WHAT I USED, AND NOW, PERFECTION! TIME TO CHANGE THE STRINGS TO MARTINS NOW.

Last edited:
Hi Joe,
Glad you worked it out. If you find the action too high, you might want to have a look at the first four frets and see if they have heaved up or are uneven. Take a credit card or something small wiith a straight edge and put it across the first few frets, see if it lays flat and touches each fret. If not then you might want to try dressing that fret with a file.

Hey thanks, I didn't think about that, I'll give it a shot! I dont thin the action is too high though, it's just right for me I believe

Top Bottom