My Mic is dying!

SamWise

Reaction score
I have a nice, inexpensive but effective condenser mic as part of my home studio, an MXL 990. I've had it for about 6 years, and been very happy with it, but recently, it became a little unreliable. Sometimes I wouldn't get any signal, and I'd have to jiggle the cable around a bit. This wasn't the end of the world, and I figured the cable was giving up; frankly it's way too long anyway, and I could replace it with one 3 feet long for most applications! Today, I really couldn't get it to keep working, so I thought I'd pull the cable and use my cable tester on it. Bad news - the cable is perfect. That might not sound like bad news, but it means that the problem is with the mic.

It's not the most expensive mic in the world, but I just don't have £60 right now to replace it, so, I'm desperately scouring eBay for a cheap alternative. Boo!

I did open it up and take a look, and couldn't see anything, but I'll take a closer look when I have more time. My concern is that it'll be a dry joint rather than anything visible.....

Top Bottom