Upgraaaaade

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've been playing on my first uke, a Lanikai LU-21p, for a good six months to a year now, and I'm looking for an upgrade. Don't get me wrong, I love this one. It's my baby. But I do think I want to get a newer one. So here's my list of things I'd like, but not all necessary.

1. My budget is probably somewhere around $350, but cheaper is always better :D
2. I'd really like a deeper sound. I've been playing with a soprano and I love the cheery sound, but I'd like a deeper richer sound.
3. Possibly a tenor or concert? I'm not really sure what the differences are, besides the extra frets.
4. An electric/acoustic would be nice, but not necessary. I'd like to play gigs, or hook it up to my death metal effects pedal. Bwahaha!
5. I'd like a cutaway, or even two.
6. I am not really a big fan of the different colored ukuleles, like red or blue or green. I prefer natural colors.

That's pretty much it! Thanks in advance for the help y'all :D

Thank you for sharing. I'm sure a visit to a music shop that stock ukulele's would be a good thing for you to do. You'd have a chance to compare different sizes and features and see what works for you. No one here can tell you that.

i think the point here is that your upper limit is pretty high, and you will find a large number of instruments in your price range - not really sure where to start!

Agree with last post - you will get a very nice, solid, electro kala for that money.

I'd love to do that, but around me we only have a couple music shops, and they've got maybe one or two ukuleles there.

One suggested to me was a Kala KA-KTE or I think it was STE either way it's very nice around 350 ish dollars it's acoustic/electric but I don't know what kind of pickup it has. I think it also comes with a preamp.

Visit MGM, Mike will help with all your questions. The best on the web IMO.

Thanks for the help. So far I've been looking in the reviews, and watching/listening on youtube to some. I think that the one I like most is probably the Kala KA-KTE Tenor/Cut Hawaiian Koa. it looks nice, sounds good, and has a lot of the things I was looking for in a ukulele. Do you guys know anything about this one in particular?

My advice would be to go with either a Mainland or a Kala (although I certainly prefer Mainland). Shoot Mike at Uke Republic an e-mail, he will certainly be able to help and he always has time to lend a helping hand (unlike other online dealers). He's an awesome guy and is located in Atlanta, Georgia, so you would get your uke like, 2 days after you order it :D Not to mention, he usually has the best prices as well.

I just ordered a Mainland, slotted head Mahogany concert with a Mi-Si pickup installed. Without a case, it will be right around $350. I paid $416 through UkeRepublic and got a Gator case with hygrometer (humidity gauge) as well. IMO, Mainlands are the best uke for the money. Just my :2cents:

Top Bottom