Kids playing ukes

Thanks for the link! I'm doing my student-teaching now to become an elementary music teacher and this is exactly the type of program I want to start.

I tried to get a ukulele program at my elementary school placement this year but there wasn't a budget for it. When I get my own job, I'll push the idea a little more.

Thanks for the link! I'm doing my student-teaching now to become an elementary music teacher and this is exactly the type of program I want to start.

I tried to get a ukulele program at my elementary school placement this year but there wasn't a budget for it. When I get my own job, I'll push the idea a little more.

I tried to get the music teacher at my school to do ukes instead of recorder. It didn't work but my uke club has 32 strong.

Yes, I wish my school had had something like this! I went to two different primary schools and two different high schools in Holland and at all of them, the music teachers were only interested in working with those who already played an instrument. I was condemned to the xylophone because at the time I didn't play an instrument. The ukulele and programs in schools are so much more inclusive and motivating!

Did you notice the one and only boy in the front row?

It's cool too that Fritz records these songs - the kids must love it!

Last edited:
That was cool!

We had a uke club in my grade school. It had EVERYTHING to do with why I play now, almost 40 years later.

Too cool, been trying to get my daughters into uke, this may do it.

My boys are surrounded by music at home. At school, the younger one (2nd grade) isn't even old enough to be in any of the music programs yet. My older son is learning uke and guitar and sings in the chorus. He said he would join the band, but they don't want uke or guitar, and the "orchestra" is 11 violins and one viola.

The choir teacher at their school is also teaching my oldest's 5th grade class. We've been talking about seeing if the music stores in the area, and/or one the ukes for kids programs would be interested in helping them get some ukes. It would be a great program for some of these kids who are otherwise "too young" for the other programs or discouraged.

How lucky those kids are! Music is fun and helps them learn so many other things. My dad got me started on his sax when I was 6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STiXYFBF3Jw&feature=sub

Here's the Google translation of the info in the sidebar of the video:

Song by Peter F. Hermann, not too rehearsed, recorded in a break between classes. The melody is not yet so very true, but the contribution will indeed arrive in time for Ukulelenclub Advent calendar.
Just 2 Chords: F and C7. There would be some additional chords possible, but it is anfängergerechter.

Weihnachtsmann means Santa Claus. Can anyone translate the rest of the song?

That was awesome Mikey, the joy of children is so contagious.

Check out this Japanese kid, he is so talented at playing but what he does to the English language is hilarious, extremely cute and talented kid: http://www.youtube.com/user/uke3453

I love this! My kids' music teacher expressed an interest in getting some ukes after she saw mine, and my kids playing it. I just sent her a link to the video, and to MusicGuyMic's ebay store. :D

thanks for finding the vid.

the words are something like:

father xmas, bring ukuleles to the people, everybody will like it (and it would be something for you too).
they play it at the xmass tree, in the bathtub, in the kitchen, on the toilet and sing along merrily.
when we all sing with the ukes it will produce a special sound.

it rhymes in german. :)
the harmonies are very primitive (f, c7) - most of the children (6, 7, 8, 9 years old) have just started to play at the end of september.

check these three 9years from my school performing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYmE6AdtaIg

Last edited:
Top Bottom