What kind of strings do you have/price/best strings?

ArchDukeofUke

Reaction score
I bought a Lanikai LU21-T tenor ukulele about a month ago and love it. I have no idea what strings are on it and don't know how to restring it. That being said, I feel that buying new strings for it other than the ones it came with would make it sound a lot better. Anyone agree? What kind of strings do you use? How much were they? What are the "best" strings?

The "best" strings is just a matter of opinion. Bright, warm, high tension, low. Depends on what you like.

I personally like high tension strings, and warm tone.

I use the D'addario Pro Arte Tenors that are sold in the UU store, five or six dollars, I think? Correct me if I'm wrong pls. :)

Anyway, if you're like me, I highly recommend these.

There's an episode on how to restring your uke also, so if you don't know how, then go check it out :D

From my admittedly meager experience I would recommend Aquila Nylgut strings on laminate ukes like the LU21's and it seems to be the consensus here on the forums. I've tried D'Adarrio's on my Makala (also a laminate) and the sound is much louder and more crisp with the Aguila's, but also a very nice sound with the D'Adarrio's! Trying different strings is the quickest and easiest way to change the sound and feel of your uke, and it's very easy to do. There are vid's here on UU and on Youtube showing how to change them.

I think the answer depends on you and your ukulele. I like Worths on my Kala Sopranos but the Aquilas on my Mainland concert sound great

What kind of strings do you use? How much were they?

Good question! Thank you for asking.
On my spruce top tenor I currently have it strung with D'addarrio T2 Titanium classical guitar strings for the treble strings. And for the low g string, I'm using the single low g that came with Gerry Long's book, 50 Easy Chord Solos. So I guess you could say that single low g string cost me $29.95. The T2s cost me $2.95 for the set.
The spruce top came with a set of Aquila. Its a Lanikai, so they come with either Aquila (white strings) or GHS (black).

I have a solid mahogany tenor that is enjoying a set of Ko'olau Golds with the low g. Those cost about $5.00.

Worths and Aquilas for me. Aquilas on laminate ukuleles and either Worth or Aquila on Mahogany ukes.

I just put Martin M600's on mine, they sound decent...they were thinner than the stock strings though...the uke was a Hilo 2658

Top Bottom