Anyone know when the next ukulele convention is being held?

Aldrine Guerrero

Ukulele Underground Staff
Reaction score
In a tiny rock in the middle of the sea :D
I'd love to attend one on the mainland. Actually, any reason to leave this small rock to a huge rock would be nice. I wanna attend a festival or convention. Preferably in CA or somewhere close because it's more convenient for me. I have people that I can stay with thats why.

Can anyone give me any info on anything like that? I'd appreciate it.

We could also have an awesome meet and jam session as well while we're on it :D

Aww man, I wish I live in Hawaii. I would've been a big uke fanatic and knew. Lol, it's quite random for me to reply here, but I am going to Hawaii some day and look for you and the K-town heroes, jake (if possible) and my other uke buddies. I live in Canada by the way and I'm gonna try to popularize ukulele in my town, so wish me the best of luck. Anyways, but one on the mainland, I don't know of, but wherever it is, I wish i could be there.

Last edited:
i know the NAMM show is in a couple of weeks here in Anaheim, CA. But i dont know if you can make it out in time.

i know the NAMM show is in a couple of weeks here in Anaheim, CA. But i dont know if you can make it out in time.

That's more for business wise. I'm talking about just pure ukulele goodness hahahaha

Attachments

• grizzly tenor ukulele back-72.jpg
    grizzly tenor ukulele back-72.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 25
  • grizzly tenor ukulele front10-72.jpg
    grizzly tenor ukulele front10-72.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 20
  • grizzly tenor ukulele left-72.jpg
    grizzly tenor ukulele left-72.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 11
  • grizzly tenor ukulele right-72.jpg
    grizzly tenor ukulele right-72.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 20
  • grizzly tenor ukulele peghead-72.jpg
    grizzly tenor ukulele peghead-72.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 16
Wow this forum is very active. You guys just posted a few seconds after I've posted. Hey Aldrine do you have MSN or somethign?

Yeah I do, but you can also click on my little AIM icon thingie next to my posts :D

I must warn you though, I don't chat much so don't feel offended if I don't answer or if I take a while to reply hahaha.

Yeah I do, but you can also click on my little AIM icon thingie next to my posts :D

I must warn you though, I don't chat much so don't feel offended if I don't answer or if I take a while to reply hahaha.

yeah i tried IMing him a few weeks back and he didnt answer haha...oh wells maybe next time i am on AIM

yeah i tried IMing him a few weeks back and he didnt answer haha...oh wells maybe next time i am on AIM

Sorry 'bout that dude. Yeah I hardly do the chat thing. Hahaha you can even ask Ryan guys, it takes a while to get a hold of me.

What was your sn when you messaged?

Attachments

• 6281000603_55308128ba_o.jpg
    6281000603_55308128ba_o.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 10
i know there are plenty, but i forget when.

the yearly ukulele festival is in August, thats how i met Jake.

ill look up more for you Aldrine, because i know lots of older people that are part of clubs that know way more than me.

Sorry 'bout that dude. Yeah I hardly do the chat thing. Hahaha you can even ask Ryan guys, it takes a while to get a hold of me.

What was your sn when you messaged?

LTballer01

it refers to L = Little T = Tokyo (my baseball organization i play for) and baller well when i was younger they would always say baller haha so i wanted to be cool. haha oh wells...

Well, the only one I know of, recently past in October. Cerritos, in the Long Beach area, has an annual ukulele festival. There are performances, and workshops also. I'm pretty sure it's fun. Unfortunately because of prior engagements I was never able to attend. I believe Brian Tolentino had some workshops set up. Uke sales too I believe. Oh well, I'll have to wait till next year.

Attachments

• Normal Uke 11-11-03.jpg
    Normal Uke 11-11-03.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Normal Uke Jam 12-01-07.jpg
    Normal Uke Jam 12-01-07.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 11
Well, the only one I know of, recently past in October. Cerritos, in the Long Beach area, has an annual ukulele festival. There are performances, and workshops also. I'm pretty sure it's fun. Unfortunately because of prior engagements I was never able to attend. I believe Brian Tolentino had some workshops set up. Uke sales too I believe. Oh well, I'll have to wait till next year.

i always planned to go to this, but i kept having prior engagements during the weekend it was on =(

ive wanted to go to long beach for a festival

Well next october during the festival, let's all hook up who can make it, and have like an ukulele underground pre/after party. That would be very naaaahhsss.

so down for that and likewise with the one in the Bay Area every August.

come on guys i cant plan all these trips back to the mainland haha...come out to hawai'i!!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 17
every september here in san diego we have the annual pacific islander festival. for the life of me, ive wanted to go for so long, but things always come up... alas, ive never been to one.

as for straight uke fest... i dunno. i remember reading about something that they had here at shelter island, but i think the last one they did was in 05.

ibcruzn said something about a ukulele players club also in escondido. im going to do some research on that too and see if they have any plans on doing anything big to bring together all the uke players in san diego for on big jam session.

Wow California is pretty big on the ukulele. Jake visited Toronto in Canada a year or two ago. Too bad I didn't know abotu this because I started uke or heard about him 6-7 months ago :( Aldrine you gotta come to Canada man and start a jam here. But I don't mind going over to Hawaii because that would be even better :)

Last edited:
Having lived in the mainland the last 3 years, and having went to a couple ukulele festivals in the Bay Area while I was there. I'd be stoked to see a guy like Aldrine play at those festivals. Musically, I can relate with his playing a lot more than most of the other musicians that I have seen that play at those things. I think real Hawaiian music (as in the music kids are actually into here) is kind of not represented.

My experience at those festivals in NorCal (..maybe SoCal is cooler when it comes to ukes?..), it seems like there was more interest in 20's jazz songs or "traditional" Hawaiian music... the stereotypical music for the ukulele. Those are cool I guess, those styles of music but don't really resonate with me.

Anyways it'd be cool for Aldrine and other talented Hawaiian uke players to expose more mainland people to what is really up with the kids in Hawaii and hopefully open a few minds. (The uke didn't begin and end with Tiny Tim/Somewhere Over the Rainbow/While my Guitar Gently Weeps/etc.)

(Aldrine: sorry for talking about you like you are not around, bro)

so err.. yeah.

Top Bottom