Kala U-tar (guitarlele) and Mi-Si pickup

PoppleKyle

Reaction score
Right now I play a high-end Seagull and a Kala tenor uke live.

I have been thinking about ditching the full-size guitar for a Kala U-tar (guitarlele) and throwing in a Mi-Si pickup.

I play with a guy that plays just the guitar so I thought it might compliment it well.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Utar and how good it sounds?

I have watched the videos on youtube but am not convinced that this could replace my guitar (but I am usually playing capo 5 on it anyway).

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks,
Kyle - full-time musician
Acoustic-Humor-Rock
Band: Popple
www.popple.us

I have a Kala U-tar and am generally okay with it but, in my opinion, Kala missed it on that instrument...With a scale length of 20-1/8" on a tenor body, it is a little topheavy towards the headstock...A shorter scale length somewhere around 17" would have been better on the tenor body...It sounds decent but it would have had a better sound had it been equipped with a baritone body.

Have you tried or thought about a Mele Guitarlele? It has a 20" scale length on a baritone body...They are more expensive as they run around $700. but they're well worth the money...:D

Hmm, I don't think I want to shell out 700, but I'm sure you get what you pay for eh?

If I put a strap on it, would that help with the top-heavy?

How does it sound if you strum open chords with the gut strings?
Regular pick? Felt pick? Finger?

Thanks for the feedback!

i disagree about the 17" scale length....As a guitar player when you get up to the 7th 8th fret it is almost impossible to play even simple bar chords like c on the 8th fret as the frets are too close at that scale length. i do wish the neck was a hair wider though

Top Bottom